FTCA/FRIA location in NC?

Acrisp1982

Hello All,

Is there any FRIA around the charlotte area or northward? Looking for a field to fly without being an AMA member.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The Charlotte Aeromodelers' field is AMA members only, and club memberships is quite expensive.

North Charlotte's Waymer Aeromodeller Flying Field - AMA only, but it is part of a Mecklenburg County Park that is subsidized by "Park Passes" apparently. Their "Park Pass" is only $30 a year - it is an approved FRIA - but AMA membership for insurance is required.

I fly in the huge Francis Beatty Park in South Charlotte quite often. They have baseball fields and an empty field adjoining that gives lots of room with few trees. It is not a FRIA, but I don't care. MBT trails are nice for quads when they are empty. Park rangers are helpful and accepting of UAS flying.

Acrisp1982

The Charlotte Aeromodelers' field is AMA members only, and club memberships is quite expensive.

North Charlotte's Waymer Aeromodeller Flying Field - AMA only, but it is part of a Mecklenburg County Park that is subsidized by "Park Passes" apparently. Their "Park Pass" is only $30 a year - it is an approved FRIA - but AMA membership for insurance is required.

I fly in the huge Francis Beatty Park in South Charlotte quite often. They have baseball fields and an empty field adjoining that gives lots of room with few trees. It is not a FRIA, but I don't care. MBT trails are nice for quads when they are empty. Park rangers are helpful and accepting of UAS flying.
Charlotte is a bit far for me to drive. I can fly there...lol but Class B airspace will block me. I am in Statesville. Finishing up testing on a long range FPV cruiser. As long as the video feed holds up I can go 120ish miles. I have a couple places to launch and land. I also have a few parks to fly in with no restrictions.