Ambulance/Rescue Drone Challenge

Based on the flying defibrillator article posted by Flite Test staff, I'd like to offer a challenge.

What do you think should go into an ambulance or rescue drone?

In the spring of 2014 I came to the realization that fixed wing and rotor drones will be the power tool of the 21st century. As a paramedic I realized how this could augment our responses especially in disaster or Search And Rescue SAR.

So I'll put out two real world scenarios that are numbered. Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.

I would like thoughtful real world answers from one of three perspectives.

Civilian (victim) If you were the one needing rescue what would you like to see on a drone that is coming to find/rescue you?

Responder: If you work in the public safety field I would like your response to be based on the premise that you could pack a drone in a compartment of your response vehicle tomorrow for S.A.R. How would it be set up?

Designer / Engineer: What tech or knowledge is available for making these ideas happen within the next month to next year. How would you design or build to match these needs Fixed wing, tRi, quad, hex?

Last edited:
Scenario 1
Dispatch has received an automated crash signal from a passenger vehicle. The associated service has talked to the driver and reports that the driver swerved to avoid a deer in the road. The sedan slid down a small ravine and is not visible from the road as several cars have driven by without stopping. The driver's leg is injured and they cannot get out of the car. They do have their hazards flashing. Because of the terrain the car's automated vehicle locator is only accurate to a 1 mile radius. The local police helicopter is returning from assisting elsewhere and is out of fuel. Refueling is expected to take 30 min. The rescue vehicle can get to the area in 10 minutes. The drone can be air born 5 minutes after that.

Last edited:
Scenario 2
A family is camping at a wildlife area. The rules prohibit motor vehicles (atv utv etc) in the area. Therefore none are available for 30 minutes. Father has decided to go for an afternoon walk with his three kids. Father is absent minded and notoriously directionally challenged. He used the last of his cell phone battery to call his wife to tell her that he and the kids are uninjured but they are hopelessly lost. The temperature is falling to uncomfortable but not dangerous levels tonight. As she tells you this you've finished setting up your ground station and are about to deploy your drone

Last edited: