An absolute beginner scratch builds an FT P-40. Now with maiden vids

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Since people are sharing their methods of putting plans on foam, I thought that I would share mine. I first pin the plans to the foam, making sure that the paper is flat on the board. I then use another pin to trace out every line on the plan with a bunch of holes. After a while this can actually be done pretty quick. Once I am done, I can pull the original plans off of the foam and store it for later use. Ok, so back to the foam board, use a pencil to trace out everything. I like to use a ruler or yardstick on longer, straight portions (I only use a few pin holes on those). I also use the original plan as a reference. After doing this I can cut. I can probably save a lot of work on my next time building that specific plane by keeping the plans, and everything is neatly on the foam ready to cut.
This isn’t the fastest method and probably not the best, but it is what works for me. I hope that you find what works best for you!

Marty72

Elite member
Since people are sharing their methods of putting plans on foam, I thought that I would share mine. I first pin the plans to the foam, making sure that the paper is flat on the board. I then use another pin to trace out every line on the plan with a bunch of holes. After a while this can actually be done pretty quick. Once I am done, I can pull the original plans off of the foam and store it for later use. Ok, so back to the foam board, use a pencil to trace out everything. I like to use a ruler or yardstick on longer, straight portions (I only use a few pin holes on those). I also use the original plan as a reference. After doing this I can cut. I can probably save a lot of work on my next time building that specific plane by keeping the plans, and everything is neatly on the foam ready to cut.
This isn’t the fastest method and probably not the best, but it is what works for me. I hope that you find what works best for you!

That's almost exactly how I do it. ha! Thumb tacks to punch pin holes as markers. I do use a little tape to hold and templates in place.

I then store the templates of each plane, vertically, using binding clips and a hanger. They go in the guest bedroom closet.

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
That's what I do. It may be slower then some options but for me it's a win because I can keep the plans.

Dunfielder

Oops …. Ran outta ink printing sheet 3 lol!! Well while I wait to get a new one I'm gonna make up some stuff with my off scale templates. It will give me a chance to practise the cutting and folding required to build it. I think it's a good idea anyway. Check out the fuselage so far. The little girl is my 4 year old daughter. She's been helping daddy!! By the way ,I trimmed the tail not the nose paper in case anyone is wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oops …. Ran outta ink printing sheet 3 lol!! Well while I wait to get a new one I'm gonna make up some stuff with my off scale templates. It will give me a chance to practise the cutting and folding required to build it. I think it's a good idea anyway. Check out the fuselage so far. The little girl is my 4 year old daughter. She's been helping daddy!! By the way ,I trimmed the tail not the nose paper in case anyone is wondering.
Looking good! (y)

Dunfielder

So now I'm basically to the point that I can't really go any further without sticking electronics in my p40. Wings are all drawn up on FB ready to cut when my parts show up. So I looked online to find out where I would be able to fly when its built and where I could get some tutelage. I contacted the local club and the guy was one of the nicest people I've ever spoken with. He gave me the ins and outs of the club and what I would need to do for membership. But that's not the best part. He asked me to come out this Saturday weather permitting to buddy box on his trainer! I was blown away. After some things I have read in forums about flying clubs, I was kinda worried. So here is my next tip for any noob reading this.

Contact your local RC flying club!!!!

It can't hurt. I have a feeling things will go better this way. People to show me the ropes of RC flight will be a great advantage to hucking this thing myself in a field somewhere. Hopefully I've found my group and flying field all within 20 minutes drive. I will report back, hopefully with a little stick time, in a few days and give my thoughts on the experience.

Dunfielder

Well that was fun! I got to meet some great people and try a little flying at the local club. It was pretty windy but I didn't crash, Thanks to the buddy box and awesome instructor. Did alright though according to flight instructor. I can 100% say it is a lot harder than it looks for sure! I've pretty well made up my mind to join the club and learn to fly with them. Hopefully I get my electronics soon so I can finish my plane and go back for some more training. I'm gonna love this hobby.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Well that was fun! I got to meet some great people and try a little flying at the local club. It was pretty windy but I didn't crash, Thanks to the buddy box and awesome instructor. Did alright though according to flight instructor. I can 100% say it is a lot harder than it looks for sure! I've pretty well made up my mind to join the club and learn to fly with them. Hopefully I get my electronics soon so I can finish my plane and go back for some more training. I'm gonna love this hobby.

WELCOME TO THE SICKNESS, its an addiction

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Awesome!

Dunfielder

So I'm about to order up some stuff off amazon and just wondering what you all think of the equipment I've tossed in my cart.
1- Radio receiver bundle, Flysky I6x and iA10B. 89.99 cad
2- Charger, Tenergy TB6-B 74.99 cad
3- Battery tester, Camway digital battery capacity tester 15.99 cad

I'm gonna check out the LHS to see what they have for 3s 2200mah lipo batteries. Open to recommendations from the community. I have zero lipo experience.

moke

I think you will really enjoy this one. I started with simple scout and then did P40 from kit. Didn't think I could handle scratch builds...but I'm working on a couple now. The P40 was a step up in complexity from Simple Scout, but turned out ok I think. And it flew like on rails with little adjustment . One of my favorite flyers now. Good trainer for aerobatics too.
p40.jpg

Dunfielder

I think you will really enjoy this one. I started with simple scout and then did P40 from kit. Didn't think I could handle scratch builds...but I'm working on a couple now. The P40 was a step up in complexity from Simple Scout, but turned out ok I think. And it flew like on rails with little adjustment . One of my favorite flyers now. Good trainer for aerobatics too.
View attachment 172055
Looks f'n sweet man. Glad to hear you think it's good. Thanks for sharing it!

Dunfielder

Had my second trip to the local RC airfield and got another couple minutes flying in. Did a little better today as there was only a slight breeze. After this trip and a little more talking with the club prez, I'm not sure I want to join. I want to have fun. Yes the flying is fun. I will be lucky to get the sticks for 10 mins on a weekend , and I'm gonna have to hang around all day to get those 10 mins. Not fun and not enough stick time to get better in my opinion. I'm not made of money and couldn't afford a Spektrum radio set. I will not be allowed to fly my plane because I cannot be buddy boxed by an instructor. Yet I watch guys with their so called "wings" spudding into the ground seconds after takeoff, but I am not allowed to even risk that with my own plane? Nope I have to use the instructors plane, radio, etc.

So let me get this straight. I have to learn on a plane and radio I do not own and when I pass their test and get my wings then I can fly my plane at the field with a radio and plane I have never used? Does this crap make sense to anybody out there? I get the safety of it but I figure as long as I can keep my bird on the right side of the flight line let me fly for f's sake. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong but I am now seriously considering not joining the club. I would rather have more fun. Will I trash my FB plane? Damn right I will, and its my right to do so. I would rather spend more time fixing than sitting waiting for a chance to fly somebody else's plane and radio for 5 mins.

Gonna think about it for a for this week anyway. I want to fly but not dependant on somebody else's time or equipment. I want to have fun and learn to use my own gear and plane. Can't help but feel like maybe me and bro should just go to a field south of town and have at'er. figure it out for ourselves. If I could fly decent then maybe join the club, take their test with my own stuff and be able to use the field. There's really not much benefit to paying money for 10 mins a weekend. I'll never pass any kind of test only getting minimum practise in. And no wings means no key to the field and no flying my own plane by myself.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my power pack to show up from Flite Test. I have everything else except the batteries. I never got any suggestions so I went with venom fly 2200 3s batteries and will be ordering them very soon! As soon as I can work more on my p40 I will post more pics and a maiden, (from a field south of town lol). Hopefully all coming soon!

Thoughts from the community?

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
I agree that the rules seem rather draconian and I understand you're position - you're excited to fly. A workable strategy may be to mix the two options of learning to fly (from the above post I'm assuming you've never flown before). If you fly your own plane you may get ten minutes on the first launch but more than likely you could get ten seconds. Then hours of repair. And a plane that may or may not fly after being repaired. I think it may be worth the ten minutes of stick time - learn what you can - and then head towards the empty lot. Ten minutes of stick time with an instructor (if you haven't flown before) can save you days of learning and repair (its hard to fly a plane that needs a lot of repair). This is worth what you paid for it.

Dunfielder

I agree that the rules seem rather draconian and I understand you're position - you're excited to fly. A workable strategy may be to mix the two options of learning to fly (from the above post I'm assuming you've never flown before). If you fly your own plane you may get ten minutes on the first launch but more than likely you could get ten seconds. Then hours of repair. And a plane that may or may not fly after being repaired. I think it may be worth the ten minutes of stick time - learn what you can - and then head towards the empty lot. Ten minutes of stick time with an instructor (if you haven't flown before) can save you days of learning and repair (its hard to fly a plane that needs a lot of repair). This is worth what you paid for it.

You are correct. I am excited. If I had a plane that cost a bunch of money and took forever to build I would stick it out with the instructor. But I have a plane that costs 5 bucks and maybe 2 hours time to rebuild now that I have nice templates made. So If I don't wreck any electronics or the motor, super cheap fix. I have gotten 3 flights with the instructor maybe 10 mins total stick time for me. I have an idea what I'm at. The instructor seems to think it's all about money and told me to come back when my financial situation improves. I just don't think he gets it. But I found a huge field just south of town that's far bigger than their airfield. I'm gonna head out there when maiden time comes