André's Durafly EFX Racer

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I've had several good throws but yes seems like the prop does not have enough pitch to keep it going on its own.

Still. I'll get it sorted and flying soon ;)

bstanley72

What prop are you using? I started with the 5.5x4.5 they recommend for 100mph. I figured it would give a bit more thrust than the 5x5. I felt like I could use all the help I could muster getting it out of my hand and flying.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Repair Update

The wing repairs were easy enough.

Used some 5 minute epoxy, tooth picks and reinforced tape.

IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3774.JPG

The main reason for the roll over on launch was my error.
I failed to throw the plane hard enough and had fire-walled the throttle.

3/4 and maybe an over hand next time.

I also had over tightened the wing bolts which probably explains the damage.
I've replaced the bolt and used some lock tight.

Then I looked at the motor. Bad news there.

The top bearing was completely smashed. I did try and replace it but during the static testing it heated up very quickly.
I'm going to try and repair it but had to order another motor.

IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3777.JPG IMG_3779.JPG IMG_3778.JPG

Naturally the stock motor is back ordered.
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-36S 2300kv / 630w (short shaft version) w/ Japan EZO Bearing

So after a few hours of mind numbing reading I settled on the NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2700KV / 595W.

I will have to cut the shaft but this motor should run as well on 3S and 4S.

Annoyed I've had to spend money but after months of looking at this plane I just want to get out there and enjoy it.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ready to rock

The new 28-36 2700KV arrived this evening.

Initially I cut the shaft but was not happy so I used the short shaft out of the 2300 and a NTM 28 Carbon Fibre Motor Mount.
Also picked up a Turnigy Turbo Spinner just in case.

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
YEAH

What a relief.

2 very nice flights with the EFX on Sunday.

This time around I had my Dad toss the EFX so I could manage the controls a lot better

Did a WATT test with the current 30C battery. I suspect the A Spec 65C will do well.

NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2700KV / 595W
Max Power: 520W @ 11.1/V (3S) / 595W @ 15v (4S)

Prop Test Data:
6x4 - 11.1V / 520W / 46.8A / 1.2kg thrust

IMG_3881.JPG IMG_3882.JPG IMG_3883.JPG

The 2700 motor is a touch more hungry but I'll manage that.

Just happy to fly this plane again.

IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3917.JPG

MrClean

Dip the right wing tip on launch, the torque will straighten it right up. Also, notice on at least one of your launches in this thread you got a good view of the yaw that you get from these things. First second or so it slews a good 10+ degrees to the left. That's where right rudder on take off is used in full size and scale. Flying RC Scale Combat with engines turning full out if we didn't launch them straight up we would tip them and throw them to the right of where we wanted them. I once threw my P-51 with just barely enough and level. The first 5 seconds on that plane were just over stalling as it caught on the prop. My ship settled lower and lower slewing off to the left as if it were a control line ship. It stopped as it came up to speed and started to rise, when I had enough clearance to pull back without having the tail hit I pulled vertical and climbed almost straight up and threw a streamer. Oh it was ON after that! I was late to the round but took it. wonderful day.

I have one of these racers on the wall. Can't wait till I get done moving so I can go give it a maiden.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah I'm going to try a few throws myself next weekend. (Right wing down)
Maybe even program in a "take off setting."

Need to add some more nose weight or trim the elevator a bit more.

Once in the air it is a lot of fun to fly.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Great to see you working hard on this. I've seen one fly and it looks to be a total blast.

Thanks ;)

It might make the trip in July but hard to say.
I want more stick time that is for sure but now I have an excuse to charge up those new 3S packs ;)

MrClean

There is an EFX mix profile in the Taranis setup files stored on R/C Settings. You have a 9rX, they might have a similar setting. It has a takeoff mode where the throttle won't advance to WOT until several seconds after takeoff when the airspeed is high enough for aerodynamics to counter the prop loads. It actually does quite a bit in that setup, I downloaded it and briefed it but haven't gone over it in detail. I am leery of overcomplicated settings for switches and things that I don't fly constantly. Couple switches and joysticks I can handle. 10 different switches and 50 some programmable ones, I just get lost BUT pick a feature and use it, I can get along with that.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah I think I'd just move the rates switch to my 3 way but again it is one of those stick time things.

Once I start flying the plane regularly I'll be fine.

:)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ah much better

IMG_3989.jpg

Gotta love when things work well...

2 good tosses. I've charged up the new packs and should be able to several flights with the plane tomorrow.

MrClean

Those looked good, well YOU rolled it on the first launch but hey, it was a controlled-un-controlled roll. Good job.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Nice Andre. I also wanted to tell you that I've been enjoying your participation on the FTAH podcast. All of those guys seem to be good friends with each other, but none of them hang out here in the forums with us except you. REPRESENT!

Best regards,
PCH

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Those looked good, well YOU rolled it on the first launch but hey, it was a controlled-un-controlled roll. Good job.

I was testing the right wing down on launch which sort of worked but it seemed to cause the plane to dart over a bit.
I suspect the roll was related to the wind.

Hoping to test it again this morning.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice Andre. I also wanted to tell you that I've been enjoying your participation on the FTAH podcast. All of those guys seem to be good friends with each other, but none of them hang out here in the forums with us except you. REPRESENT!

Best regards,
PCH

Thanks. ;) It has been a lot of fun to work on the podcast.
Not sure how much of a regular I will be but when ever they call I do try and answer my phone.

As per the FT Forums.
I'm sure the guys would like to spend more time online but they all work pretty busy hours.

A.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
65 Reasons to get Dizzy.

How do you take an already mental plane to the next level?

Swap out the 30C packs for some 65C.

For anyone who listened to the recent FTAH podcasts I'd been hunting for batteries.

IMG_3997.jpg
After spending hours and hours reading/considering options I ordered some A-Spec 3S 2200 65C.

IMG_4001.jpg IMG_4002.jpg IMG_4003.jpg
And today I finally had a chance to try them out in the EFX.

OH Boy. Unlimited Vertical. I mean into the clouds vertical. Crazy.
It got the point where after 4minutes I wanted to land because I was going in circles tracking the plane.

Hang on... (I really want to find a way to track this plane better for video)

IMG_3999.jpg
After 5 packs I can assure I was a very happy pilot.

IMG_4004.jpg IMG_4005.jpg
But I did discover a crack in the fuselage so I have to do some repairs before I can put her in the air again.

Still very happy to see this combo come together.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Foam Safe CA, Hot Glue & Tape

So after Sunday's fun I noticed a crack.

OK that is a little bit big.
IMG_4017.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg

I broke out the foam safe ca.
IMG_4020.jpg
IMG_4021.jpg

I used a little hot glue into some of the internal sections.
IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg

I also ran some tape vertically to make sure it is nice and safe.
IMG_4024.jpg

I'll let everything settle over night but may have to order a new fuse.
We shall see.