Another Electrohub / Flip 1.5 Won't Arm Post

BigDaddy0004

Hi everyone,
I have a new Electrohub build with Flip 1.5 that I can't get to arm. Read as much as I could find on this topic, but I'm still having no luck arming the Flip 1.5.

Here are my particulars:

Ready to Fly Quads "Flite Test ElectroHub Electronic Kit"
Flip 1.5 with case flashed with Spider MWC 2.3 Quad config.
SimonK 20A ESCs
Lemon 6-ch RX, (now using Spektrum AR610)
Using a new Spektrum DX8 TX.

The build went smoothly and all the motors spun up individually as shown in the build video.

But the Flip 1.5 will not arm by holding the throttle stick to the lower right.

I think I may have a MINTHROTTLE setting too high, but can't figure out how to lower the darned thing on my Spektrum DX8.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
BD

MINTHROTTLE SETTING

MINTHROTTLE_zpsww8hlyrs.jpg

MAXTHROTTLE SETTING

MAXTHROTTLE_zpspac6ck6v.jpg

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey BD,

your throttle range seems good enough. assuming you're gettign nearly the same range out of the rudder channel, the command should be coming through -- Minimum throttle, Maximum rudder. After that, there's 6 big things that can keep it disarmed with the stick command:

- Arm-via-aux setting used in one of the aux modes (doesn't appear to be set here).
- Accelerometers not calibrated.
- Accelerometers think the craft is far out of level.
- ESC cal mode was picked as an option in that ROM.
- Baro is active (your board doesn't have a baro enabled, so it can't be activated -- to really your problem).
- When flashing the ROM, the EE-PROM was not cleared, so an old set of settigns are confusing the new ROM.

So first, try the easy one -- calibrate the accelerometer if you haven't.

If it still doesn't arm I'd recommend the shotgun approach for the rest -- pull up the arduino program and from the menu, files>examples>eeprom>eeprom_clear, and upload to your multiwii board. Then open one of the Flip 1.5 a sketchs and make sure the ESC cal setting ("ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY", found way at the bottom of config.h) is commented out, and upload it. Re-run your accelerometer cal (it forgot when you cleared the EEPROM), and give it a try once more.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I don't think Dan saw the screenshots you posted. Otherwise, he would have seen your throttle at the lowest is 1100 which is not low enough for you to arm. You will need to setup your DX8 throttle minimum range so that the throttle range is ~1000 -- and max is ~2000. Do the same for all the other channels.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hmmm . . .

Missed that. Good Catch Mak!

Yup. MINCHECK is 1100, so the throttle range needs to drop by at least 3 points to get under that. With the Ruder, MAXCHECK is at 1900 so it will have to get above 1900 to arm, and below 1100 to disarm again.

This is adjusted in your radio's servo limits or endpoint, if it can. If your radio can't you can edit them in the "MultiWii.h" file then upload, but don't change them any more than you have to.

Also, your Yaw isn't centered at 1500 (roll and pitch aren't either, but they're not bad). you'll need to change your sub-trims (or trims if you don't have them) to get them centered at 1500 when you release the sticks, or she'll automatically drift on you -- fun for racecars, terrible for quads.

BigDaddy0004

IT"S ALIVE!! :D

I also adjusted the Travel and Sub Trims so they're closer to midpoints.
Thanks so much for the help, Gents!
BD (aka Greg KC9PFX)

MINTHROTTLE%20SUCCESS_zpsgia1tvft.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Great to hear you're up and running!

Now go break some props :D