Another Flying Field Lost!

abieex

Mentor
Its a beautiful day here in N Ohio and it was time to fly some foamies! Loaded the car, called my son and away we went to Blossom Music Center to fly for an hour or two. We have been, after asking for and getting permission, flying here for about a year. No large crowd, never more than two or three and electric only. We respectfully do not fly when they have an event and only use an overflow parking area farthest from the pavillion. Respect barricades, pick up any trash and generally be good neighbors. Today it all changed. As we were getting ready to fly a fellow stopped and told us he was the head of security and that we were not welcome. He explained that my son and I were a security issue and it was time to leave and not come back! No discussion, not willing to listen and the fact we asked for and got permission at the security office meant nothing. I don't want to think that all the negative drone nonsense caused this. Seems to be getting harder to fly all the time! Anyone know an area around Akron, Ohio?

jamboree1

I feel your pain, I worry the day comes when the place where I fly, along with about 40 others say "no more". Maybe you can approach the person you got permission from again and get an OK in writing. Never take the word of a security guard as a lot of them seem to have a little man complex and try to flaunt authority they don't have.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Maybe you can approach the person you got permission from again and get an OK in writing. Never take the word of a security guard as a lot of them seem to have a little man complex and try to flaunt authority they don't have.

Definitely get the real scoop from the guy in charge. Security guards can have a real attitude sometimes (just like police, for that matter). I'd respectfully ask if something had changed, and if they say it hasn't, politely ask for a written statement so that you don't have this problem again.

abieex

Mentor
I am currently drafting a letter to the Cleveland Orchestra/Blossom Music Center. I'm trying to be hopeful but it doesn't look very good. I may have to join a club in order to fly.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Man, that sucks. I'd definitely ask the people in charge. It would seem like if something had changed that the person you contacted at first would have attempted to let you know ahead of time.

earthsciteach

That is definitely sad. I would put money on the media hype being he reason you were booted. Most see foamies as nice toys until they are shown the "evil hiding within." Sorry, Abieex. That is a shame.

abieex

Mentor
I'm not going to waste too much time on them. Although I can't be 100% sure I do believe that this is the result of all this drone crap we have to listen to ad nauseum. Tomorrow morning I grab my thermos, get in the car and begin looking for another field. If I have to I'll join a club.

Team_Monkey

I don't know where you are located but I know a few nice folks in the Alliance Balsa Bees. The Corsair model club has a few electric fliers but I don't know much about them.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That's very sad Steve. Our clubs main field (Charles River Radio Controllers / Davis Field in Sudbury, MA) is at risk because the town is considering a proposal to build little league fields this Summer. Decision will be made in May, but we're already looking for temporary (or permanent alternatives). The best option is looking to sublease some State land from a farmer who has a lease for cutting hay/grass. That might be an option for you as well -- even without the sublease. We're looking at the sublet because we are a registered organization and want to do it by the books. At the moment, the farmer has an informal agreement with some individual members who live nearby to use his field for flying. It's great because he has more eyes/responsible people watching over the land, and they've in the past reported problems with kids drinking / lighting bonfires there in the past.

Anyway, that might be an option for you if there are any grass farmland nearby...

abieex

Mentor
I don't know where you are located but I know a few nice folks in the Alliance Balsa Bees. The Corsair model club has a few electric fliers but I don't know much about them.

Alliance is about an hour away. A little too far for a quick after dinner!

abieex

Mentor
That's very sad Steve. Our clubs main field (Charles River Radio Controllers / Davis Field in Sudbury, MA) is at risk because the town is considering a proposal to build little league fields this Summer. Decision will be made in May, but we're already looking for temporary (or permanent alternatives). The best option is looking to sublease some State land from a farmer who has a lease for cutting hay/grass. That might be an option for you as well -- even without the sublease. We're looking at the sublet because we are a registered organization and want to do it by the books. At the moment, the farmer has an informal agreement with some individual members who live nearby to use his field for flying. It's great because he has more eyes/responsible people watching over the land, and they've in the past reported problems with kids drinking / lighting bonfires there in the past.

Anyway, that might be an option for you if there are any grass farmland nearby...

I'm going looking tomorrow but not a lot of farmland in the Akron area. Maybe its time to buy a small farm and turn in into an Aerodrome!

Team_Monkey

Alliance is about an hour away. A little too far for a quick after dinner!
Hmmm, I don't want your address :p but you must be on the North side of Akron then? The Corsairs aren't far from there IIRC.

As you say, sometimes you just have to make things happen. I invested into my own runway two years ago. A worthy expense, but my wife never lets me forget that expense. LOL The darn Emerald Ash Borer beetles took out the trees since then.

Sometimes flying at your own place get's lonely though. I have been known to check out the Cleveland RC Club field in Grafton, OH.

Hope you can find something easy for you and your son.

Last edited:

johanjonker

You guys still have it lucky..

home build foam planes, at the only flying club in my area, aren't allowed to fly on most of the weekends. They will set aside 30min to an hour on a Saturday morning or maybe Sunday afternoon.. and maiden flights on any plane aren't allowed on Saturdays or Sundays..
And FPV, let me not even start on that.. were outcasts, ruining the hobby for some or the other reason..

I have a Peacedrone, Axon and a Maker trainer, that are considered foam home builds that doesn't have much flight time at the field, but My FT Cruiser and F-18 from RCPowers on the other hand are save to fly at anytime, mainly cause they have lots and lots of flying time on them and landing gear.

I love building and flying, I get so much joy from making my own planes I build from scratch to fly, be it from a FT plane or dimensions from a website or something I thought up and cut out. And that part of the hobby I cant really enjoy without doing it somewhere remotely, alone and with no one to share

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Wow,I have to consider myself lucky indeed. Our club president, who doesn't even fly fpv himself saw people stepping on each others frequencies (and they weren't even club members) and put to vote a motion to buy and install a fpv frequency board and information notice about turning on vrx's to check channels before powering up vrxs. The motion passed and it will happen even though most club members who voted don't fly fpv.