Another MS design - the Curtiss P-36

bwarz

Master member
It has been a long year so far, and I haven't done much in the line of building and less flying than I had hoped since FF21. This week I finally started a new design (perhaps I should have finished my second build of my first design :ROFLMAO:...) I was trying to decide what the second MS design would be and I settled on the Curtiss P-36 Hawk - predecessor to the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. There are no promises on when I will finally finish this and get plans available, as I think I excitedly released my plans prematurely (Messerschmitt ME109/BF109). Not that they didn't build well, I just had to submit a few updates as some parts could have been better.

The build will again be a Master Series-styled build, although maybe just a bit more complex. I like the sturdiness of a fuselage core with formers and skins, and I like to incorporate fixed landing gear and am more enjoying flaps. In all, lots of parts, but I am shooting for a straightforward and repeatable build.

A few early conundrums that I'm having, and may create multiple plans surrounding them:
-split flaps, which will require ironing the flap to more of a wedge shape
-a better vertical stabilizer thicker than the single DTFB sheet, method and results TBD

The initial designs as below have the standard single-thickness VSTAB and TBD optional areas for flaps, maybe easy flaps on the top skin, maybe split flaps form the bottom. Either way, the single plan should easily accommodate whichever one would wish to build (or no flaps, for that matter as well).

To start things off though, I should soon get these plans printed off and onto DTFB for the initial build and outer skin development...
Screenshot from 2021-11-05 16-00-11.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It has been a long year so far, and I haven't done much in the line of building and less flying than I had hoped since FF21. This week I finally started a new design (perhaps I should have finished my second build of my first design :ROFLMAO:...) I was trying to decide what the second MS design would be and I settled on the Curtiss P-36 Hawk - predecessor to the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. There are no promises on when I will finally finish this and get plans available, as I think I excitedly released my plans prematurely (Messerschmitt ME109/BF109). Not that they didn't build well, I just had to submit a few updates as some parts could have been better.

The build will again be a Master Series-styled build, although maybe just a bit more complex. I like the sturdiness of a fuselage core with formers and skins, and I like to incorporate fixed landing gear and am more enjoying flaps. In all, lots of parts, but I am shooting for a straightforward and repeatable build.

A few early conundrums that I'm having, and may create multiple plans surrounding them:
-split flaps, which will require ironing the flap to more of a wedge shape
-a better vertical stabilizer thicker than the single DTFB sheet, method and results TBD

The initial designs as below have the standard single-thickness VSTAB and TBD optional areas for flaps, maybe easy flaps on the top skin, maybe split flaps form the bottom. Either way, the single plan should easily accommodate whichever one would wish to build (or no flaps, for that matter as well).

To start things off though, I should soon get these plans printed off and onto DTFB for the initial build and outer skin development... View attachment 211178
Good luck, I’ll be following the build. It was great to get to see your 109 at Flitefest!

bwarz

Master member
and so starts the hour or so of monotony...
20220110_235619.jpg

no skins yet, probably (finally) see how the wing builds tonight or tomorrow!

bwarz

Master member
A helpful hint. When you take 2 months off from a design, give your plans and prints a good once-over before cutting things out. Luckily I noticed a bit of version reworking that I started. Wings are fine, but the fuselage formers were in the middle of a rework with half the old plans and half the new plans. Would have ended up a bit of a nightmare when I tried to skin things! I'll probably scrap the fuselage box and existing formers and start over with printing from plans and cutting out. At least maybe I can build the wing tonight...:rolleyes:

Crap - EDIT - not sure what the heck I was doing LOL. Was it right, was it wrong? I guess more time is needed to figure it all out!

Tench745

Master member
A helpful hint. When you take 2 months off from a design, give your plans and prints a good once-over before cutting things out. Luckily I noticed a bit of version reworking that I started. Wings are fine, but the fuselage formers were in the middle of a rework with half the old plans and half the new plans. Would have ended up a bit of a nightmare when I tried to skin things! I'll probably scrap the fuselage box and existing formers and start over with printing from plans and cutting out. At least maybe I can build the wing tonight...:rolleyes:

Crap - EDIT - not sure what the heck I was doing LOL. Was it right, was it wrong? I guess more time is needed to figure it all out!
I have done this more than once.

danskis

Master member
I hear you....an inch of ink is worth a mile of memory. Notes are good :>)

Easier said than done, too.

bwarz

Master member
After taking some time and looking things over, I actually did finish the rework of the formers from an early prototype to the 75A version - more streamlined at the cowl. Looks like my cutting stays (as does the larger battery hatch :p - I am contemplating a few new 5500mAh 3S batteries for my RC cars as they would also fit nicely into my BF109 and very likely this one as well!)

Trying split flaps on this design (can skip flaps altogether) so I can extend them almost to the centerline of the fuselage like the prototype.

I've been high in stress and low on motivation these last few months so here's :coffee: to hoping the build continues and doesn't disappear for another 2-3 months!

bwarz

Master member
another few hours and a few tweaks to the plans.
20220112_010521.jpg
20220112_010736.jpg

wings are coming together pretty well with only minor tweaks. The split flaps look like they'll work out well. Looking at how the build is going, the wing might have a touch much angle making things not meet at the fuselage. I guess I'll see better once I get the other half of the wing done. Enough for the night I guess!
BTW loads of battery room! That's a 5500 3S :p
16419680183883127904425462742201.jpg

bwarz

Master member
Following this, definitely on by build list.
Very cool thanks! ...now you've got me self-conscious :ROFLMAO: If you want to beta-build I can get you the plans early before I upload them to resources (once I get the skins done of course). I don't want to put them up too soon like last time and then need to do several revisions :rolleyes:

I always add tons of notes on the plans too as I'm really bad at remembering to record a build vid:LOL: so hopefully that doesn't deter you! I've found I like flaps so all designs goign forward will have them, but I've been including notes and optional cut lines, etc

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Very cool thanks! ...now you've got me self-conscious :ROFLMAO: If you want to beta-build I can get you the plans early before I upload them to resources (once I get the skins done of course). I don't want to put them up too soon like last time and then need to do several revisions :rolleyes:

I always add tons of notes on the plans too as I'm really bad at remembering to record a build vid:LOL: so hopefully that doesn't deter you! I've found I like flaps so all designs goign forward will have them, but I've been including notes and optional cut lines, etc
definitely, I'm in.

bwarz

Master member
No building tonight - after looking at the tail and how the vertical and horizontal stabilizers were (not) going to fit together, I needed to rework the parts to actually be able to be assembled. This one was a bit weird as the tail is quite narrow and things were just a bit odd with alignments. Details will need to be forthcoming on how to get things built in the back. Also spent some time cleaning up the wing drawings. Hoping to wrap up the core building and get to skins this weekend.

Back and shoulders not doing so well after a fall on the ice on Monday :mad: and I think I overdid it at the workbench last night, so the couch is calling "Come sit on me, I'm soft and comfortable!" Old FT videos here I come :p

bwarz

Master member
I know I had a really good reason to not extend the fuselage box all the way back to the tail, but it's kinda fuzzy at this point. I may have been trying to make it assemble more easily due to it being so narrow?
Whatever the reason, the rework of the VSTAB goes together nicely.
20220115_230327.jpg
20220115_230342.jpg
20220115_230400.jpg
20220115_230452.jpg
20220115_230511.jpg

Still trudging along!

bwarz

Master member
Coming together! A few more minor adjustments to the plans as the wing cut in the fuselage wasn't deep enough, but all in, it's going together quite well 😀
20220116_014912.jpg
20220116_014904.jpg

I got a little excited and glued the wing on... I think it was easier to layout the skins last design with the wing off 🤔 hopefully it isn't too much of a pain with it attached.

Tench745

Master member
Coming together! A few more minor adjustments to the plans as the wing cut in the fuselage wasn't deep enough, but all in, it's going together quite well 😀 View attachment 215795 View attachment 215796
I got a little excited and glued the wing on... I think it was easier to layout the skins last design with the wing off 🤔 hopefully it isn't too much of a pain with it attached.
Looking good. I had to do something similar with the tail section on my giant Spirit of St Louis to get the fuselage to taper the way I wanted. Probably wasn't necessary, but I'm happy with it nonetheless.
I love all the Curtiss planes, but there's just something special about a radial.

bwarz

Master member
Alpha plans for most of the fuselage skins ready to print and initial test fit.

Screenshot from 2022-01-19 01-20-56.png
I spent a few days cleaning up the plans as well with a few more minor tweaks as I see how things are fitting together. I'm now contemplating how to get the pushrods back to the elevator and rudder. I also want to try to design in the indents in the fuselage behind the pilot! Just a cool detail but wondering if it'll be worth the trouble :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (only necessary with a clear canopy) Oh rats - I still need to design the canopy:rolleyes::(