Another newbie question

Morgajus

I know you can bind transmitters to multiple receivers and if they use the same protocols and have the same number of channels there is no problem.

Now for the part im confused about. I have heard that you can bind tx and rx with different channels together, and that it only works if one of them has the higher channel count... So, which one has to have more channels, the tx or rx?

Examples:
6ch rx bound to 10ch tx
10ch rx bound to 6ch tx

One of these setups should work but which one?

My gut says the tx needs to have the higher channel count.

xSOSxHawkens

You are right.

6ch rx bound to 10ch tx = all 6 channels on plane controllable with 4 extra on the TX to use for other purposes.
10ch rx bound to 6ch tx = plane with 10 channels to control trying to be done with a 6 channel controller. Leaves 4 un-addressable channels uncontrolled.

Morgajus

You are right.

6ch rx bound to 10ch tx = all 6 channels on plane controllable with 4 extra on the TX to use for other purposes.
10ch rx bound to 6ch tx = plane with 10 channels to control trying to be done with a 6 channel controller. Leaves 4 un-addressable channels uncontrolled.

Thank you for the input. I suppose a more general question would be "will it bind?" Rather than "will it work?" Unusable channels aside.

FDS

Elite member
If the protocols match it will bind, the bind is just a digital “handshake” so the receiver only recognises commands from the host transmitter not the identical one your flying buddy is using!
It’s always better to have more transmitter channels than you need, since then you can add fun stuff more easily. Buy a TX that meets your needs today and allows room for flaps, retracts or mixes tomorrow.

Morgajus

Ok so it would bind, it's just a usability thing. Cool.

I have a flysky 6channel (cheap but effective) and looking at flashing the firmware to the 10channel mod for more fun.
I just wanted to be sure my 6ch rx would still work and/or the 10ch rx I'm looking at buying would work before I get around to flashing the tx.

FDS

Elite member
Yes that should definitely work. As long as you get the firmware flashed correctly it should all bind reliably.
I have a 16 channel TX bound to a 4 channel receiver!