• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

(Another) P51-D swappable design/build log

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
#43
Jason,
This is incredible work! Thanks for what you have already contributed to this great hobby. Can't wait to see the final version.
 
#44
I myself have an uncontrollable love for the P-51s. I would LOVE to be able to get the plans. Will you ever be making them available? Won't be able to take myself away from this thread for awhile :D
Absolutely. Once I have this bird all ironed out I'll be putting it up as an article with plans, build notes and everything I can to help people build their own.
 

earthsciteach

Moderator
Moderator
#45
The time, effort and thought you are putting into this is very impressive, Jason. Maybe this will be my first swappable build! I have a HUGE backlog of projects to get through... Who am I kidding? ADD makes all of my decisions.
 
#46
There is a swappable Spitfire, JasonEricAnderson is working on a swappable p-51. If there was a swappable Me-109 one could have a scale dogfight!
 
#47
That makes me think there should be a laser tag challenge for the FT guys. Work up an infrared/laser system.

They could dial back the throws/speed to be more scale, and have a designator that would put a narrow cone of IR out the front of the planes. The planes could have an IR sensor bump top and bottom. If a plane gets 'hit' with an IR beam for longer than 1/8 of a second it cuts the motor for two seconds. That way the pilot can 'feel/see' they got hit.
 
#48
That makes me think there should be a laser tag challenge for the FT guys. Work up an infrared/laser system.

They could dial back the throws/speed to be more scale, and have a designator that would put a narrow cone of IR out the front of the planes. The planes could have an IR sensor bump top and bottom. If a plane gets 'hit' with an IR beam for longer than 1/8 of a second it cuts the motor for two seconds. That way the pilot can 'feel/see' they got hit.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
 
#49
Just about there.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now I need to:
  • Put the BBQ sticks in the nose
  • Put a BBQ stick through the side into the powerpod
  • Cut holes and mount the tail servos
  • Glue in the wing
  • Make a form for the canopy
  • Shrink form the canopy from a soda bottle
  • Glide test!
 

DGoebel

Junior Member
#53
Perhaps you have thought of this already, but have you considered using a technique similar to what Flite Test uses on their latest FT-22 nose design to make the lines on your belly air intake cleaner? Looks like this design will be great when finished.
 
#54
Perhaps you have thought of this already, but have you considered using a technique similar to what Flite Test uses on their latest FT-22 nose design to make the lines on your belly air intake cleaner? Looks like this design will be great when finished.
Yeah I'm still feeling out the cooler scoop area.

I had an idea for a better way to do my wing as well.
image.jpg
 
#55
After a long winter I'm circling back and getting things rolling again. I redid the turtle decks with actual posterboard. The canopy is made from a clear two liter bottle that I cut and flattened out.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
#57
First day of good weather! Inspired some progress. I've got the PowerPod mounted servos press fitted. Added some strips of electrical tape to the canopy. There is an error that I missed with the nose. I forgot to notch back the top of the fuselage at the nose where the firewall and skewers go. The wing is press fit still as I realized I don't have a servo Y harness for the ailerons. I've got some servo wire and JR connections on the way as well as half a dozen more servos. I want to get a scale so I can get the all up weight but as of yet I don't have one. It's a bit nose heavy and I'll need to add some velcro to the power pod to allow me to move the battery further back.

Getting close!
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
#59
My servos, servo wire, and plug parts arrived so I'll be building my Y harness for the ailerons this weekend. While I wait for my weather to dry out I went back to the plans and updated/fixed some of the issues.

Screenshot_040414_044313_PM.jpg

while the belly notches make the tail section very strong I think it's overly complicated. I've removed the notches and smoothed out the scoop curve. (DGoebel suggested :eek:) The final version will use the 'peel away paper' build technique for the curve of the scoop.

The cockpit plates and their supporting wedges did not take into account the thickness of the the plates in the last version. I've dropped them down 3/16" so that the plates will not stick up above the turtle decks as much and it will allow a nicer fit for a canopy. This should also allow for a small access square to be cut into that area.

I think I may need to move the tail servos back further to help add some tail weight. The current build feels really nose heavy.
 
Last edited: