Anybody else scratch building tonight?

BradDH

Yup, that actually wraps around the EDF as well. Then I put a popsicle stick where the two wing halves connect. The wing needs a bit more stiffness so I might replace the popsicle with a larger piece of wood or another 3d printed support.
3d printing..... So helpful! :) And a great way to get things done while you sleep

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I started on @Grifflyer P-39 this eve., printed off the standard size and one for a C-pack size build later. Incidentally I figured out why I was having so much trouble printing plans out on Adobe today too. My laptop and desktop have different versions that both say they are up to date and the print function is totally different between them. My desktop (that I rarely use anymore) matched the tutorial in the forum thread @Grifflyer has for the plane and was so easy even I could do it lol. Not so much with the laptop, I did figure it out fianlly but it scales differently and quite frankly stinks to use that version.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Only need a canopy and servo linkages now!
IMG_20200510_144745754_HDR.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Indy durtdigger, that’s cool you figured out your issues! It’s a nice feeling to de-bug the build process! @Grifflyer has some plan designing chops for sure! Speaking of which, G, that is a tight looking vampire! Well done!
I’m actually going home after two months at my in-laws 🥳🎉🎉 And I finished this today! View attachment 168571
No, flying but it’s a great weekend!
Thanks bro! That's a sweet looking paint scheme!!

slowjo

Master member
@Indy durtdigger, that’s cool you figured out your issues! It’s a nice feeling to de-bug the build process! @Grifflyer has some plan designing chops for sure! Speaking of which, G, that is a tight looking vampire! Well done!
I’m actually going home after two months at my in-laws 🥳🎉🎉 And I finished this today! View attachment 168571
looks fun tho

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Hat tip to @Grifflyer for putting a how too in that thread. I would never have thought that my computers had different versions of Adobe on them. Where did you get that uber thin foam board?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Y'know, I got into RC because I didn't have the space to build a full size airplane. Probably for the best or I might not be alive right now haha

Have you ever heard of Robert Baslee? He runs Airdrome Aeroplanes in Missouri. He uses a river and gusset construction in his kits, they supposedly go together real easy with no welding. Great for those of us who can't TIG weld to save our lives. It shouldn't be too hard to apply the same technique to other aircraft.

slowjo

Master member
Mor like repairs on my P51c Otter, tried to maiden but broke wing tip instead, being impatient, I didn’t wait till I had wing floats??? to hold plane somewhat level, eventually I want these to be more like drop tanks

Attachments

• 49616585-9B19-4241-A18E-6F4B2C7502D9.jpeg
    49616585-9B19-4241-A18E-6F4B2C7502D9.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9B3A6CAF-CAA3-4D9E-AE93-714A3E125C16.jpeg
    9B3A6CAF-CAA3-4D9E-AE93-714A3E125C16.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
Y'know, I got into RC because I didn't have the space to build a full size airplane. Probably for the best or I might not be alive right now haha

Have you ever heard of Robert Baslee? He runs Airdrome Aeroplanes in Missouri. He uses a river and gusset construction in his kits, they supposedly go together real easy with no welding. Great for those of us who can't TIG weld to save our lives. It shouldn't be too hard to apply the same technique to other aircraft.

I've heard of him and seen a couple of his planes at a WWI reenactment "Dawn Patrol" event in Dayton. His Sopwith Pup has a great reputation and I thought hard about trying one someday. They are really light and assemble fast, but for a number of reasons I prefer the steel tube fuselage of the Ace line. I work with steel and wood every day in my work, so I'm pretty comfortable with the material. A steel tube fuselage gave me the opportunity to learn oxy-acetylene welding. It is cheaper to buy materials as I go and scratch build from plans than it would be to buy any sort of kit airplane. Plus, I can buy materials as I finish up assemblies which saves me from having to store/trip over materials I won't use for months or years.

I don't know what your space situation is like. In my case, my wife and I rent a one-bedroom apartment (about 700sqft) which is over a one-car garage I use for my shop. It's definitely a tight fit, but it's more than possible to build a plane in that amount of space. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the RC habit so I could have a little more room for other things, but cest-la-vie.
That's enough from me for now. I don't want to drag this thread too far off topic. ;)