Anybody else scratch building tonight?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm still tinkering with the landing gear of the Viking S-3b.
I'm out of glue sticks?!?! Hmm mist be here somewhere.
Yeah, so really just the landing gear. I'm rebuilding the nose gear mainly.
And rebuilt the FT arrow after a Terrible crash. Now with hatch access!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I finally got a simulator dongle that works with my DX6i so I've been playing picasim. So far it's making me want a Gentle Lady. I could easily build a foamy from balsa plans, I'm running short on time though. I should go fly the Aeronaut.

I really need to get out sloping again, it's been a little tough with everything closed but I think Temple Hill should be open. I just really don't like hiking up there in 15 kt wind with a 5 foot wing that weighs less than 4 oz. Maybe if I found a reliable way to split wings in half for transport, it's not a technique that lends itself easily to foamboard but I'm sure there's a way.

OliverW

Legendary member
I finally got a simulator dongle that works with my DX6i so I've been playing picasim. So far it's making me want a Gentle Lady. I could easily build a foamy from balsa plans, I'm running short on time though. I should go fly the Aeronaut.

I really need to get out sloping again, it's been a little tough with everything closed but I think Temple Hill should be open. I just really don't like hiking up there in 15 kt wind with a 5 foot wing that weighs less than 4 oz. Maybe if I found a reliable way to split wings in half for transport, it's not a technique that lends itself easily to foamboard but I'm sure there's a way.
You should buy the willy nillies gentle lady!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
You should buy the willy nillies gentle lady!
Didn't know they had one. Pre-order is only $40 too, and the 48" span is nice, good for casual sloping and it fits in nicely with my 55" planes. I'm tempted to get one. But why buy when you can scratch-build? And I only have less than six weeks to build everything I want, and I'll be on vacation for one of those. I could buy one now, build my own, then build the kit later. Shipping might be expensive though WAIT IT'S ONLY $6???

I ordered it.

OliverW

Legendary member
Didn't know they had one. Pre-order is only $40 too, and the 48" span is nice, good for casual sloping and it fits in nicely with my 55" planes. I'm tempted to get one. But why buy when you can scratch-build? And I only have less than six weeks to build everything I want, and I'll be on vacation for one of those. I could buy one now, build my own, then build the kit later. Shipping might be expensive though WAIT IT'S ONLY $6???

I ordered it.
It'll be a super easy build that'll fly amazing!

Vimana89

Legendary member
More wind, and indecision what I should build on an A pack setup. I'm still juggling some options; rebuild my planky flying wing thing with no fuselage, or start something new. I'm not sure what something new would be, maybe another Bee, but with a normal tractor prop to keep it light. I've also thought of maybe trying a biplane. I wish I could choose or just saw something I'd much rather build with an A pack.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
More wind, and indecision what I should build on an A pack setup. I'm still juggling some options; rebuild my planky flying wing thing with no fuselage, or start something new. I'm not sure what something new would be, maybe another Bee, but with a normal tractor prop to keep it light. I've also thought of maybe trying a biplane. I wish I could choose or just saw something I'd much rather build with an A pack.
I'd love to see you try a bipe! Maybe a Pitts Special? :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'd love to see you try a bipe! Maybe a Pitts Special? :D
For something like that, I'd want a bit bigger motor than the A pack. If I do a bipe with the A pack it's going to be something light and basic, likely with flat plate wings and preferably with a protected prop, we'll see.

I'm drawing up one with a protected tractor prop that's sort of short-coupled but has a longer nose, so CG will be easy while keeping it light. The only real dilemma is to make it basic RET with some dihedral in the wings or wingtips, or try a 4ch elevon setup sort of like on the Bee:unsure: