Anybody else scratch building tonight?

L Edge

Master member
Cool how well that one flies in forward flight with no tail plane, control surfaces, or nose and just four motors. Once I get some proper foam and sharp blades I'll try something with a larger more symmetrical wing, and mount the prop more in the center. I may do a round wing, an oval wing, or start with a square box type shape but a similar concept. I'll watch some more vids and look around at what's out there(y)

All it really is a drone settup that is able to do transitional flight.

Vimana89

Legendary member
All it really is a drone settup that is able to do transitional flight.
Yeah, that's what I noticed about that particular one. If a professional company would release a similar product that could do everything a high end quad could do plus the forward flight part, I think it would be a hit. I'm not sure how much the forward flight ability would amount to practical things like power conservation/flight time or top speed, but the fun factor alone would probably sell it. I don't have the right TX or experience to set up something like that for the moment, so I'll probably end up trying a single engine build closer to the first "barrel roller" you posted.

Last edited:

K3V0

Elite member
8EF17298-7EC3-474A-AAAC-02F0BE99ACD1.jpeg
I’m back on track this week! I had a list of things foam plane related that needed to be taken care of. First I had to make a new wing for the storch. I’ve got it cut out and ready to assemble.
7779113E-4308-4AE8-A6CF-99061DA11F92.jpeg
Just need to decide if I’m going to go with full length flaperons again or separate alerons/ flaps. I use a flysky is6x tx so my mixing ability is limited. If anybody has any input regarding this, let me know 😃
I’ve also been able to get back to working on the FT Edge!
7A8B1E18-B735-4105-BC47-5436B3A354CC.jpeg
This is a plane that I’ve been excited about, for sure! We all know the grind of tiling, glueing, then finally getting to foam board. But to tell the truth, it wasn’t that bad this time. It’s fun to think about what the final product will turn out like. Can I do a clean job this time? Will the motor/battery work out? Landing gear!? It’s great to be at this stage where I can tangibly see the final build is going.
Lastly, I’ve been having a blast with the mini mustang that I made from @The Hangar ’s Big Bang of mustangs group build. Its the plane I’m bringing everywhere right now
52CA31D5-ABB3-4920-BEA3-2AF4D191A8D7.jpeg
The wet weather is back tonight so I’ll be in build mode for the week. Hopefully have some progress to share soon. Happy Wednesday!

K3V0

Elite member
So when ever you are ready I'll either find the videos or make one myself for you, just hit me up.
Dude! Thanks! I ended up keeping the flaperons set up from my last wing. Easier to just go out and fly this morning that way. But, I’m home from the field now and I’m interested in making a wing with separate flaps😃! I was probably going to set them up on one of the variable dials. I’ve got flaperons set on the three position switch right now. I’m interested in how you set it up for your planes. But it’s the holidays and aren’t you traveling now or soon? Enjoy your vacation, brother!
66948C0D-95C2-4C67-B132-F9D4C6919566.jpeg

Got to fly three this morning!
Then a buddy showed up with his new storch and ninjoplast
130268D7-0C0D-4D33-8048-36725F8AF279.jpeg

He uses coroplast a lot and his storch has a couple of neat tricks
D57C99BB-AB67-4D7F-8870-1AA48EFA7DC2.jpeg
5B7452B1-A1B5-417E-BFB0-7C5CDD4359EA.jpeg

Folding wings! It’s rad!🤩 He also has hinged/sprung the LG, which allows for some really forgiving landings. And some coroplast struts to help out the wing.
7A153C7D-7CF3-415A-BEF8-64AA0EE1BA51.jpeg
A0DE9B0E-AB6C-41CE-AD78-C8F2D49F4F77.jpeg
I hope you all get some flying or building and even family time in today! Happy Saturday!

mayan

Legendary member
Dude! Thanks! I ended up keeping the flaperons set up from my last wing. Easier to just go out and fly this morning that way. But, I’m home from the field now and I’m interested in making a wing with separate flaps😃! I was probably going to set them up on one of the variable dials. I’ve got flaperons set on the three position switch right now. I’m interested in how you set it up for your planes. But it’s the holidays and aren’t you traveling now or soon? Enjoy your vacation, brother! View attachment 151721
Got to fly three this morning!
Then a buddy showed up with his new storch and ninjoplast View attachment 151722
He uses coroplast a lot and his storch has a couple of neat tricks View attachment 151724 View attachment 151723
Folding wings! It’s rad!🤩 He also has hinged/sprung the LG, which allows for some really forgiving landings. And some coroplast struts to help out the wing. View attachment 151725 View attachment 151726 I hope you all get some flying or building and even family time in today! Happy Saturday!
I am but will still try to get a video for you on how I set up flaps on the new DGA-6 that I will be soon. Looks like you had a good time any videos?

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I have built a...

something

P_20191222_002119.jpg

1-hour builds FTW! More precisely this is an attempt to make use of some components out of a very old Multiplex trainer I crashed and destroyed long, long ago. This thing was old enough that it had a 400 brushed motor for power and ran off NiMH batteries!! Luckily some testing determined that it could take a 2s lipo. I'll be trying 3s too, and don't care if that blows it up because the motor pod thing is modular - I'll build another with a brushless motor if I kill this one. Hopefully there will be maiden flight footage up tomorrow