Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Looking forward to getting the Sea Otter built as I already have another project in mind for May, Its a one off prototype pylon racer. Ive got a few versions floating around in my head at the moment, hopefully by the end of April I should have a better idea what the final version is going to look like.
Either way its going to be fast o_O

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Productive day, finished off the Simple Stick.
20210409_125723.jpg
1/16" plywood disks, 3mm CF rod with rubber tubing on the ends to stop them slipping out.
20210409_131706.jpg
Painted the discs white to match the fuselage, so they don't stand out. That's now a more substantial wing mounting system.
I also fitted another 1/16" Plywood plate on the wing underside to give some more rigidity to the section which inserts into the fuselage.
20210409_131718.jpg That's also now painted white blends in with the foamboard section.
I went flying in the afternoon and crashed one of my Tiny trainer's, combination of very gusty winds, flying to far away and losing orientation. Ah well donor parts for my pylon racer ;)(y).
Fetched my sheets of foam in tonight with the Sea Otter drawn on, already roughly cut out the individual sections. I just need to remove all the excess foam and cut out all the slots etc
Ready for a snooze now :sleep: can't I'm in work :eek: still got another 10 hours to work yet :poop:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just finished cutting out all the parts for the Sea Otter, all the excess foamboards removed. The pile of scrap foamboard just keeps getting bigger every time. I use to keep every little scrap for scraping off hot glue, but even the smaller pieces are taking over now.
I started off with 2 and 1/2 sheets of A1 size foamboard, now I have a pile of parts to assemble and a pile of scrap parts too (again).
Bit disappointed to be honest I don't know why, but I was expecting the Otter to be bigger :(. Feels like a bit of a let down now I've started it, hopefully I will get some motivation once I start assembling it.

bwarz

Master member
Good news everyone! So I posted earlier that I had started the build of the ft mighty mini corsair, and finally I have cut all of the foamboard pieces, all thats left is the poster board stuff. Im also a beginner, and had a couple of questions. The first ones about the electronics. Ill be using a 2204 2300kv motor with a 12a esc. As for tha battery, most probably Ill be using a 2s 1000 mAH. I would like to know if that would be good enough, as it will be lighter than the 3s. Also, I want to know the flying time I would get off the 2s.
Also, the second question is that I noticed that in the mighty mini corsair, the servos are on the top surface of the wing. I dont know about anyone else, but I find this ugly. So I wanted to ask if anyone has tried a mod in which they glue the servos pushrods and control horns on the bottom surface of the wing. I dont see why that wont work. Please advise if I should try this.
Really appreciate if I could get the answer to both questions (battery and mod).

Thanks in advance.
I see this reply is quite delayed, but yes I thought the same thing on the servos. I cut holes in the bottom of the wing and mounted them below. I would also think that a 2S and the 2300kv motor should be fine. I ran a 1350 on 3s spinning a 6x4 or 7x4 prop with no problem.
20210409_223619.jpg

I see you've by now built 3 wings, ready for a fourth? 😆

T1TAN

I see this reply is quite delayed, but yes I thought the same thing on the servos. I cut holes in the bottom of the wing and mounted them below. I would also think that a 2S and the 2300kv motor should be fine. I ran a 1350 on 3s spinning a 6x4 or 7x4 prop with no problem. View attachment 197551
I see you've by now built 3 wings, ready for a fourth? 😆
I made the fourth and glued it onto the plane!

That is progressing very well. Just out of curiosity, have U been tested for CPBD? :sick:.
Oh I've been living with CPBD my whole life. I post a mid-build progress pic and it takes so long for me to post the next update, everybody completely forgot about it, they think it's something new. I'm trying to learn to keep quiet about a build until it's close to the maiden flight. :D
Hehe you forgot we already discussed this. I don't need testing. The debilitating symptoms are obvious. :D