Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
20210411_023156.jpg
Definitely got further with the build than expected.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Now I am confused how this Otter power pod is supposed to go, just been watching a video on you tube and the guy had the angle the same as on the Flight Test video.
20210411_035815.jpg 20210411_035838.jpg 20210411_035908.jpg
ie looking down the motor is pointing to the left of the nose (assuming its a CCW prop in its normal configuration, reversed on the motor).
If it was a CW prop as opposed to a CCW, I could understand the logic the thrust angle would be to the left motor rotation is clock wise. But the Flite test video suggests its a std CCW prop so the thrust angle should be to the right ?
Anybody built one of these that can give me some insight ?

OliverW

Legendary member
Back in January, I built this mm scout for the challenge by the hanger. After I built it I said I would make it look nice. Well I did, but I forgot to post it so I guess it never happened... Untill now.
Here it is! It's an absolutely perfect backyard flyer that will do touch and goes for days! View attachment 197640 View attachment 197641
I love it. It's giving off major proctor antic vibes

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Back in January, I built this mm scout for the challenge by the hanger. After I built it I said I would make it look nice. Well I did, but I forgot to post it so I guess it never happened... Untill now.
Here it is! It's an absolutely perfect backyard flyer that will do touch and goes for days! View attachment 197640 View attachment 197641
Looks great but the pilot lets it down he looks a be wooden.

Tench745

Master member
Now I am confused how this Otter power pod is supposed to go, just been watching a video on you tube and the guy had the angle the same as on the Flight Test video.
View attachment 197636 View attachment 197637 View attachment 197638
ie looking down the motor is pointing to the left of the nose (assuming its a CCW prop in its normal configuration, reversed on the motor).
If it was a CW prop as opposed to a CCW, I could understand the logic the thrust angle would be to the left motor rotation is clock wise. But the Flite test video suggests its a std CCW prop so the thrust angle should be to the right ?
Anybody built one of these that can give me some insight ?

I assume these pictures are of your build and that you're using a standard rotation prop. If so, this is the correct thrust angle.
Be sure to put some thread locker or something on that prop nut so it doesn't loosen; standard rotation props in the pusher configuration turn the wrong way for the prop nut to be self-tightening like it would in a tractor configuration.

Tench745

Master member
To elaborate slightly,
In a tractor configuration the motor is typically mounted ahead of the CG (center of pressure, center of lateral resistance, they all affect it, but we'll just simplify and call it the CG for this example.) so it needs to be angled to pull the NOSE of the airplane to the right.
In a pusher configuration, the motor is aft of the CG so it needs to be angled in a way so as to push the Tail of the plane to the left. Since the aircraft yaws around the CG this moves the nose to the right the same way as a tractor setup with right thrust would.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I assume these pictures are of your build and that you're using a standard rotation prop. If so, this is the correct thrust angle.
Be sure to put some thread locker or something on that prop nut so it doesn't loosen; standard rotation props in the pusher configuration turn the wrong way for the prop nut to be self-tightening like it would in a tractor configuration.
No the images are of someone else on you tube who built the Otter its not mine. looking down on the plane the motor is pointing to the left of the tail, therefore with a CCW prop in tractor operation ie reversed the thrust angle will be to the left hand side of the nose ! Is that correct ?
Normally a CCW prop in tractor configuration on the nose of the plane requires right hand thrust !

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
To elaborate slightly,
In a tractor configuration the motor is typically mounted ahead of the CG (center of pressure, center of lateral resistance, they all affect it, but we'll just simplify and call it the CG for this example.) so it needs to be angled to pull the NOSE of the airplane to the right.
In a pusher configuration, the motor is aft of the CG so it needs to be angled in a way so as to push the Tail of the plane to the left. Since the aircraft yaws around the CG this moves the nose to the right the same way as a tractor setup with right thrust would.
Got it now thanks, I have never had a motor with a left hand thrust angle on any of the ARFT pusher style planes I've bought in the past so it confused me (y)

daxian

Elite member
i have never built in thrust angles...i do all mine straight and level ,then if really needed, i can add washers ...never had to so far !! might just be me though...

flyingkelpie

Elite member