Anybody else scratch building tonight?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got all the parts for the Ft stick cut out.
48DE3AB8-5C4D-4363-A54D-76800DCF2F4C.jpeg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Made another Spektrum run… These things add up fast! :LOL:
View attachment 210298
Just received my FRsky X8R on Friday, I just fitted it tonight in the Bearcat F8F.
I am going to upset you a little now, it only cost me £26.40 including tax and delivery (that's equivalent to $36 approx) it arrived in 10 days. That's 8ch with telemetry built in, SPORT socket for additional telemetry modules and 16ch SBus socket.
The X6R 6ch version is only £23.50 might order one for the Corsair once I've paid off last months PayPal expenses.
The main reason I swapped to a multi protocol system, receivers from alternative manufacturers are a lot cheaper. I love the Spektrum wireless AR series receivers and have a few, but when the price of an AR410-4ch reached £28 - £30 that was the last straw.
Not having a go at Spektrum quality again, just their pricing ;)(y)

Just received my FRsky X8R on Friday, I just fitted it tonight in the Bearcat F8F.
I am going to upset you a little now, it only cost me £26.40 including tax and delivery (that's equivalent to $36 approx) it arrived in 10 days. That's 8ch with telemetry built in, SPORT socket for additional telemetry modules and 16ch SBus socket.
The X6R 6ch version is only £23.50 might order one for the Corsair once I've paid off last months PayPal expenses.
The main reason I swapped to a multi protocol system, receivers from alternative manufacturers are a lot cheaper. I love the Spektrum wireless AR series receivers and have a few, but when the price of an AR410-4ch reached £28 - £30 that was the last straw.
If it's not Spektrum it's a girly receiver. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Just kidding Brit. Something I'll need to keep my eye on for the future.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If it's not Spektrum it's a girly receiver. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Just kidding Brit. Something I'll need to keep my eye on for the future.
To be honest if I wanted to buy the X8R in the UK, I would be looking at £40. I saved myself £14 buying it from Aliexpress.
I have about 7 of these X8R receivers now and they are really good quality, they come in genuine FRsky packaging with the silver anti tamper strip.
I've have also bought the older FRsky V8FR ii receivers which are also good quality, but don't have telemetry capability. I have around 8 Radiomaster receivers (two 4 ch and six 6ch) they great for using in my foamboard models, cheap and reliable with 1km range. I also have 6 Flysky 6 channel receivers again cheap, reliable and great range also used in foamboard models. I also have two V710 storm receivers (DSMx protocol), I was so impressed with the first one, so I bought a second and use them in my cheap foam models. They only cost me around £12 each when I bought them, (they are about £19 now from Banggood). A very reliable receiver, my preferred choice over Orange. I have never had an issue with signal loss or range issues with these. The only down side they are a bit on the large/bulky side, but in bigger models that's not an issue.
I still put the X8R receivers in my decent models though and my Spektrum receivers in everything else in-between.

To be honest if I wanted to buy the X8R in the UK, I would be looking at £40. I saved myself £14 buying it from Aliexpress.
I have about 7 of these X8R receivers now and they are really good quality, they come in genuine FRsky packaging with the silver anti tamper strip.
I've have also bought the older FRsky V8FR ii receivers which are also good quality, but don't have telemetry capability. I have around 8 Radiomaster receivers (two 4 ch and six 6ch) they great for using in my foamboard models, cheap and reliable with 1km range. I also have 6 Flysky 6 channel receivers again cheap, reliable and great range also used in foamboard models. I also have two V710 storm receivers (DSMx protocol), I was so impressed with the first one, so I bought a second and use them in my cheap foam models. They only cost me around £12 each when I bought them, (they are about £19 now from Banggood). A very reliable receiver, my preferred choice over Orange. I have never had an issue with signal loss or range issues with these. The only down side they are a bit on the large/bulky side, but in bigger models that's not an issue.
I still put the X8R receivers in my decent models though and my Spektrum receivers in everything else in-between.
You'll need to start selling them pretty soon.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well you’ll be proud of me, guess what I got this week…
B25DD0D4-D96B-4302-A73B-BDB034830126.jpeg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Well you’ll be proud of me, guess what I got this week…
View attachment 210389
Its about time you ventured into the dark arts of Open Tx, no going back now ;) Red pill, Blue pill :eek:.
The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by trying Open Tx or remaining in contented ignorance by using Spektrum. The terms refer to a scene in the 1999 film The Matrix.
Only a bit of fun no offence meant to the Speky guy's :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Its about time you ventured into the dark arts of Open Tx, no going back now ;) Red pill, Blue pill :eek:.
The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by trying Open Tx or remaining in contented ignorance by using Spektrum. The terms refer to a scene in the 1999 film The Matrix.
Only a bit of fun no offence meant to the Speky guy's :)
Haha, we’ll see, I’m also going to upgrading my Spektrum transmitter soon so the jumper will be mainly for playing around with and seeing what all the hype is about. Oh yeah, and being able to buy cheap receivers for the foamies I don’t care about. $50 a pop for those ar-620 adds up fast haha.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Fortunately today both my son and wife are at work for the majority of the day. So when I eventually wake up, feed and water myself. I have the house to myself until at least 16:00hrs so its model plane time :).

Hoping to get the Sea Otter front wheel installed today, she will then be ready for her upgrade maiden, another plane finished.
I can't decide whether to make a start of the Spitfire repair, or start installing the IC engine in my Corsair decisions, decisions :unsure:.

I also plan replacing the Spektrum AR410 in the FT Delta, with a Radiomaster R84 receiver. It reduces the weight a little in the delta and provides a spare wireless 4ch receiver for another project :unsure:. I've started using the FRsky XJT external module in my Radiomaster for the Radiomaster receivers as they use FRsky D8 protocol. It saves me having to carry out the frequency fine tuning. Not sure if the signal is any stronger, but I certainly don't have any issues with range checks. I assume the dedicated FRsky module accurately matches the receiver frequency so no fine tuning is needed.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Haha, we’ll see, I’m also going to upgrading my Spektrum transmitter soon so the jumper will be mainly for playing around with and seeing what all the hype is about. Oh yeah, and being able to buy cheap receivers for the foamies I don’t care about. $50 a pop for those ar-620 adds up fast haha.
Try the Radiomaster R84's they are ideal for small foam models and give the same 1km+ range as the rest of the Radiomaster receivers. They use FRsky D8 protocol so you can easily bind to them with the Jumper (just note you will have to frequency fine tune the transmitter, loads of videos on you tube about it).
Original FrSky, Futaba, Corona Hitec, and HoTT receivers have been frequency-tuned by the manufacturer at the factory. Because of variations in the oscillator crystals used in multiprotocol modules, it is necessary to fine-tune the module to match the manufacturer frequencies.

‘Compatible’ receivers suffer the same variation in crystal oscillators as multiprotocol modules but have to be compatible with genuine (manufacturer-tuned) transmitters so they will typically have auto-tuning built-in, and will self-tune to the radio’s frequency when they are bound.

1635125435676.png

Your looking at £14 to buy one of these receivers (that's just over $19).

1635125634875.png

Place your model a couple of meters away from your transmitter.

Decrease “RF Freq. Fine Tune” until you get a failsafe (warning from radio). Make sure you remove the prop first or have the motor arm switch deactivated, when signal is lost.

Write down this number.

Now increase “RF Freq. Fine Tune”, signal will come back, but if you keep going, you will get another failsafe and lose signal.

Write down this number.

Now the middle of these two numbers is what you want. Simply add the two numbers and divide by two.

For example, if I had -39 and 45, (-39+45)/2 = 6/2 = 3

Using the example place the number 3 in the Freq. fine tune setting, its now set.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Working on a new 3D printed design. Yup another F-82 :D. A step up in scale from my Mighty-Mini design. This will have a 48" Wing. Its starting to look like something so I figured I would share. Still a long ways to go but maybe some test prints soon...

1635127101702.png
D

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Try the Radiomaster R84's they are ideal for small foam models and give the same 1km+ range as the rest of the Radiomaster receivers. They use FRsky D8 protocol so you can easily bind to them with the Jumper (just note you will have to frequency fine tune the transmitter, loads of videos on you tube about it).
Original FrSky, Futaba, Corona Hitec, and HoTT receivers have been frequency-tuned by the manufacturer at the factory. Because of variations in the oscillator crystals used in multiprotocol modules, it is necessary to fine-tune the module to match the manufacturer frequencies.

‘Compatible’ receivers suffer the same variation in crystal oscillators as multiprotocol modules but have to be compatible with genuine (manufacturer-tuned) transmitters so they will typically have auto-tuning built-in, and will self-tune to the radio’s frequency when they are bound.

View attachment 210453

View attachment 210455

Decrease “RF Freq. Fine Tune” until you get a failsafe (warning from radio). Make sure you remove the prop first or have the motor arm switch deactivated, when signal is lost.

Write down this number.

Now increase “RF Freq. Fine Tune”, signal will come back, but if you keep going, you will get another failsafe and lose signal.

Write down this number.

Now the middle of these two numbers is what you want. Simply add the two numbers and divide by two.

Using the example place the number 3 in the Freq. fine tune setting, its now set.

The R86c is a 6ch PWM version if you prefer including an SBus option costing around £16 ($22)
1635128543177.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 210453

View attachment 210455

Write down this number.

Write down this number.

Thanks for the detailed write up, I’ll have to give those receivers a shot.(y)