Anybody else scratch building tonight?

SSgt Duramax

The Zero is done!

20211203_210242.jpg
20211203_210249.jpg
20211203_210259.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
finally got back to my paper airplane plans and think i finally got it ready to attempt flight.

biggest issue was CG. there was sooooooo much material behind that it limited my choices. i really wanted to do a twin motor with diff thrust but i also wanted it to be quiet. i have little 1306's that i could put on 4S and no problem, but it would be soooo noisy. in order to go quiet i had planned on bigger 2306's but once again due to the CG quickly killed that plan. so that left nothing but tractor config as an option.

in order to help with the cursed CG i chopped off a good section of the bottom fold section of the paper plane. this helped a bunch and without i don't think i would have pulled this off without going stupid bigger motor and battery. i still wanted to keep as lite as possible.

20211127_165919.jpg

i really needed a ton of nose weight still so i designed and overly robust and heavy motor mount.

20211127_175935.jpg

i thought it would be ok but duh, i had some real issues with the folding prop getting caught... :rolleyes:

20211203_155459.jpg

after some head scratching and problem solving, we went back to geometry.

20211203_161241.jpg

problem solved.

20211203_182017.jpg

again, the CG issues had me get creative with the rear control surfaces. i think it should work.... ????? :LOL:

to save weight i went with stupid light wire for the servo to control horn linkage. i have it setup as an Elevon wing so when it is pulling up we are good, and when we swing left or right stick, we know we have at least 1/2 of them working. o_O

20211204_151125.jpg

to solve for this and to keep the control surfaces from fluttering i knew i needed to add some tension. :unsure:

20211204_151149.jpg

K.I.S.S. principle. the stretched rubber band gives enough tension when servos are at neutral to hold elevons perfect. i have full up elevator (which is all i need, not gonna be flying upside down), and plenty of left and right deflection with servo. the neutral control surface will be pulled slightly negative and held there by rubber band (ref- 1st pic above). or so i think. what could go wrong? :LOL:

we will see tomorrow.

laters,

me :cool:

Created my first tape hinge. Not knowing what I was doing, I picked up both cloth tape and paper tape at the drug store yesterday. I tried the cloth tape, and this is what happened. I think I got the best result I'll ever be able to get with a tape hinge, and it happened completely by accident!

I laminated another paper layer to it with CA. After I crash in a horrible explosion and the rest of the boat is reduced to foam confetti falling into the Hudson, this fully assembled piece with be the only identifiable part found in the bottom of the crater. ;)

IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2054.JPG

the rc project

Does anything happen to those blunt leading and trailing edges?
Oh yeah lots of sanding! This is kinda my build style, simplify everything by making it oversized boxy shapes and then get carving with the file. Doesn’t make the most scale looking planes cause it’s all down to the madman with the file but it’s very light and stiff.(paired with carbon spars of course)