Anycopter Hex Motor question

DDSFlyer

I've been sitting on my Anycopter Hex project I wanted to build with my father in-law. I am thinking of getting it started but have been going back and forth on the powerplants. I am planning on basing it on Chad Kapper's hex they used on the show, using it for FPV video. Want to get a gimbal on it as well. Gonna start with KK2.1 board but prob use this platform to learn my way into APM later on. This will be my test bed multirotor platform I think.

Question is what kind of motors do I set it up with?
A) Chad Kapper's inexpensive Hextronik 24g 1300kV motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=48047
B) NTM motors with a lower kV? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=42710
C) Start trying out RC Timer motors at a lower kV? http://www.rctimer.com/product_813.html

After thinking of upgrading the motors to lower kV/higher power setups I was wondering how much the wooden frame could handle? Will that be a problem? I'll probably go with 20amp AfroESC's, do I need the 30amps?

Any advice would be appreciated. Will make a separate build thread when I end up getting all the parts together.

kah00na

I had some of the SunnySky 980kv motors with 9" and later 10" props on a tricopter and they worked real well and they made for some pretty smooth video as long as it wasn't too windy - I didn't have a gimbal.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The key question here on a hex is when it is built, how much room will you have between motors. 9" and 10" rotors are great on quads and tris but on a hex, you may not have enough room for them.

You need 1/2" MINIMUM between rotor tips. Based on boom length, that may restrict you to 8045s. My Polakium mini-hex has a limit of 5" rotors.

If you are limited to a 7" or 8" rotor, your motor choice will be VASTLY different than if you will be flying 10" rotors.

So, whats it gonna be? How much room do you have between motors when the booms are attached?

DDSFlyer

I guess right now I've cut out the booms to the anycopter specs, which I assume would leave it to the 8" props that Chad had on his. Which if I go that route, why not just stick with the cheapo 24g motors right?
Now if I wanted to go 9" or 10" blades, what would I need the arm length to be? I have a spare 10 ft dowel ready to cut and drill holes on if I wanted to go bigger, my worry is that I keep hearing how these FT wooden frames aren't meant for bigger motors and I didn't know how big that meant, especially if I start stretching out the arms. Maybe I'll outgrow the FT Anycopter frame and need to upgrade to bigger stronger materials but I have it here now and just wanted to know if I had limitations...

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Well, you know me by now. . if you want cheap and strong 1300kv motors for $11, get the Rctimer A2830s. They can handle 3S or 4S with either 0847 or 0947.

DDSFlyer

Well, you know me by now. . if you want cheap and strong 1300kv motors for $11, get the Rctimer A2830s. They can handle 3S or 4S with either 0847 or 0947.

Well, you're one of the main reasons I'm looking at RCtimer motors instead of getting the NTM's I had been looking at for awhile.
What do you think about extending the hex's booms past the 10" length (stock anycopter length)?
It will mostly be carrying a typical gimbal for a gopro and will end up being a test bed for APM or Naza so I can learn about GPS hold and stable video capabilities.

also, do you have a preferred RCtimer motor that doesn't have the collet adapter?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
With the current crop of boards, and the self-level or self flying they offer, and/or turning expo up, there's really no reason to have longer booms.

But if you still prefer it, I see no real problem with extending the booms as long as you don't get ridiculous. . .say no more than 3, possibly 4 times the prop radius.

Most all Rctimer motor bells have the threaded holes to accept either 4-hole or 3-hole prop adapters or direct bolt on. Rctimer also offers a modified 'cut-shaft' 850kv A2830 and all the parts to fly with a prop adapter. :cool:

Oh. . . and if you're looking for prop adapters at Rctimer, they call them "motor adapters".

20140610_182124.jpg

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
To determine lengths required for different arms for different length props just do a mockup on paper and set the props at each location then look at clearances. Once satisfied, measure and you have your answer.

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

Thanks for all the help guys. I thinki might go with an RCtimer motor setup with 800-900kV range. Go with 10 inch props and layout my frame and arms to see if I need to extend them or not. Then seeif 11 inches will be an option as well. The reasoning behind it (albeit just guessing and I could be way off) is with the payload of FPV and gimbal and gopro I am looking for more thrust and efficiency to get better flight times with the increased weight. I'm sure I'll learn I'm wrong or another way of going about it, but it's just my learning curve at the moment. I still don't have any larger batteries than 2200mAh so I will definitely be getting those as well. Just want to get a test bed started to learn from. With the Chad Kapper setup of 24g motors I think I wouldve outgrown it too quickly so I'm looking at the next level.

DDSFlyer

So Cyberdactyl, a couple of questions ordering from RCTimer. Is there an actual US Warehouse? Do they all have to ship Singapore Post, I heard that's terrible?
I rewatched the Bat Bone episode that had Chad's hexacopter in it with the blue wonder motors and the anycopter build video, seems like with the stock boom length I'm probably restricted to 8" props, although I may be able to sneak 9" in there barely (will see when I end up building it all up) and he says in the build video the frames are based upon 370 size or 45g motors. So I may just stay at 1450kV motors from RCTimers http://www.rctimer.com/product_114.html and ESC's http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=780&productname=. Just trying to figure out if I order them how long they might take to get to me in Cali. Plus I wish they had other payment options other than Paypal, I was gonna place it on the ol' plastic to get it now vs later...

DDSFlyer

Yeah I was comparing those motors as well. With the price difference vs time/shipping I'm debating. This hex project cost gets amplified every change I make because of everything being x6!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have ordered from Rctimer's "US warehouse" to have it shipped from China regardless. Since Rctimer's shipping is either free or very reasonable, I can't complain too much.

I used to consider Rctimer's shipping time 'decent for China' at 21-26 days, and I still order from them, they simply can't compare to Hobbyking's new shipping times. My last three orders from HK has been mind blowingly fast at 9-12 days. I ordered parts for a build I'm doing for my brother, and this order is tracking just as fast. HK still bends you over in regard to shipping cost, but the speed is only surpassed by a US Amazon merchant.

DDSFlyer

In that case, I might just make this a budget/lightweight hex and go with the original hextronik 24g motors and afro esc's from HK's US warehouse. I'll leave the better, bigger motors for an upcoming quad project (aka sk450 deadcat setup) or upgrade my bat bone NTM motors. Price and speed, I may be moving at the end of the summer and it would really put a damper on things if I ordered something only to move before it gets to me...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I live in Colorado where Altitude also lives so I am fortunate and biased. I like ordering from little US small businesses because I like the service and getting my stuff in under a week. Altitude, BuddyRC, Aloft Hobbies (CA), MultirotorMinis and Multirotor Superstore have delivered in 3 days.

I understand being acutely cost oriented. If you are not, consider the options and better service from the small, domestic guys.