Apple Pie's B-25 Mitchell

Apple Pie's B-25 Mitchell V1

Please log in to download

jahatton

I got the new motors and esc's on Monday. It too 9 days to arrive to Canada (Mississauga Ontario) Then it took over a month to come to BC!
I got 80A ESC's and Flash Hobbies 3548 900kv motors. The props are APC 11x5.5's. I was going to go 4S but it pulls 1155W and has around 10 lbs thrust or greater. The plane weighs under 8 lbs. I will use 2 2200 3S batteries which will bring the Watts down to around 800. The damage was very easy to repair by cutting new parts and splicing them in. I sure love foam board! It is ready for taxi trials and maiden.

Attachments

• IMG_6074[1].JPG
    IMG_6074[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6076[1].JPG
    IMG_6076[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6077[1].JPG
    IMG_6077[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6086[1].JPG
    IMG_6086[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6087[1].JPG
    IMG_6087[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got the new motors and esc's on Monday. It too 9 days to arrive to Canada (Mississauga Ontario) Then it took over a month to come to BC!
I got 80A ESC's and Flash Hobbies 3548 900kv motors. The props are APC 11x5.5's. I was going to go 4S but it pulls 1155W and has around 10 lbs thrust or greater. The plane weighs under 8 lbs. I will use 2 2200 3S batteries which will bring the Watts down to around 800. The damage was very easy to repair by cutting new parts and splicing them in. I sure love foam board! It is ready for taxi trials and maiden.
It looks fantastic! I still haven't ordered any parts for mine, but I did just get a 3D printer, and one of my goals is to see if I can get them to hold up. I'd say putting them on a 7-8 pound plane would be a pretty good test! :D

Apple Pie

Elite member
It looks fantastic! I still haven't ordered any parts for mine, but I did just get a 3D printer, and one of my goals is to see if I can get them to hold up. I'd say putting them on a 7-8 pound plane would be a pretty good test! :D
Oh man, where have been for the past two months???? Under a rock obviously! This is looking very fine indeed. Sounds like you should have plenty of power. I ran 3542 11x5.5 on 3S with a 5000mah battery and it flew beautifully. Super happy that another incarnation will take to the skies and yours looks excellent.

jahatton

Oh man, where have been for the past two months???? Under a rock obviously! This is looking very fine indeed. Sounds like you should have plenty of power. I ran 3542 11x5.5 on 3S with a 5000mah battery and it flew beautifully. Super happy that another incarnation will take to the skies and yours looks excellent.

I had to take a break from it. I like knocking down projects within 2 to 3 weeks but this one dragged on since Oct 20th. 2 months was waiting for parts to come from Banggood. (Not their fault as you read) The weather here is blah and so haven't done any flying either. For the maiden I will do it at another club from the one I belong too. The field is 800' with 400' runoff with no trees for miles! It will be perfect to get used to her and learn what it can and can't do. I do plan to fill the bomb bay with Skittles and do a drop over our field for a friend's kids.

Attachments

• IMG_6090[1].JPG
    IMG_6090[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Apple Pie

Elite member
My post came out all wrong, apologies. I was trying to say that I was under a rock for the past two months and missed all of your build so far. Absolutely no slight to you on the build timeframe. It’s a big project! I dropped a beer with a parachute for my neighbor. Missed by several hundred feet which was pretty humorous. I’m sure you will get closer to the target with a load of skittles 😁

You down in Canuck land? I’m over in Flames territory 😉

jahatton

My post came out all wrong, apologies. I was trying to say that I was under a rock for the past two months and missed all of your build so far. Absolutely no slight to you on the build timeframe. It’s a big project! I dropped a beer with a parachute for my neighbor. Missed by several hundred feet which was pretty humorous. I’m sure you will get closer to the target with a load of skittles 😁

You down in Canuck land? I’m over in Flames territory 😉
No slight taken, never came to mind. Yes, the Vancouver Canucks our team. lol I live 100 miles east where First Blood was filmed (Rambo) I got to see Stallone and Dennehy crues by in the police car. That movie put Hope BC on the map and several movies have been filmed here.
Almost all my projects at one point in construction crosses the line where I want to scrap the project and either start again or quit. Then I'm on the other side and think what was I thinking! If the project is too simple it's loathing to build but if there is challenges then I thrive. Foam board has revolutionized the model hobby in so many ways!

jahatton

Hey Guys, been a very long time! On Sunday I maidened the B-25 finely!! It flew quite well although it needed a 4S. What took so long in completing it was all the little problems. The front landing gear was too long and ended out getting an aluminum sleeve made so I could install a real short axle. The sleeve alone cost about the same as all 3 retracts. I do have video but hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet.

Oldrover TJ

That looks awesome. I know mine won't look that good.

Here are some pictures from my build.
20210217_143015.jpg

Starting on the fuselage. My initial plan is to run the elevator pushrods through the the bulkheads so that I can access the servos from the wing box. I'll be using two servos for the elevator. Right now I'm not planning on using rudders.
20210427_200829.jpg

I cut the spars out of 1/8 in ply. They are full length so there was no need to build the joiner in the middle. I'm going to permanently attach the wing. If I like how she flies, I'll make another with a removeable wing.
20210427_153927.jpg
20210228_153947.jpg

Fuselage all skinned. laid out next to the master series spitfire. This thing is gonna be huge.

20210528_205954.jpg

Wing skinned and servos and ESCs installed. All that's left is to mount the motors and wing.