Hey Chad,

After getting pretty good flying my Smash Drone I was thinking about building an FT Spitfire or Racer. As I have stated before in the thread, I am pretty financially strapped being 16 and can't really afford to pay $15 for a motor. I hit the "Compare" button on the hobbyking website on the NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1200kv motor page and this motor showed up. I was wondering if this would work on either of these planes.

Thanks for your time and all that you guys do at FT

God Bless,
Nathan

knife-edge

Hey Chad,

After getting pretty good flying my Smash Drone I was thinking about building an FT Spitfire or Racer. As I have stated before in the thread, I am pretty financially strapped being 16 and can't really afford to pay $15 for a motor. I hit the "Compare" button on the hobbyking website on the NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1200kv motor page and this motor showed up. I was wondering if this would work on either of these planes.

Thanks for your time and all that you guys do at FT

God Bless,
Nathan

Hey Nathan,

I have had various KV's of that motor and I think that it will work fine for the spitfire. I run my NTM with an 8x4 and a 1300 3s and it runs great. As long as you keep the plane light I think that you will do fine with that motor. You might have to modify the firewall cause the NTM's are a little bit taller, but its an easy fix. I believe that the FT guys have flown the spitfire on a blue wonder (dont hold me to it Chad could probably confirm).

Hope this helps,
Griffin

knife-edge

Chad I was at a car show today and one car really made me think of Bixler. Just wanted to share it with you guys and please pass it on to Josh.

zip tie car.jpg

This was a kid who fixed his bumper that would have otherwise fallen off with some Zip Ties! I immediately thought of you guys when I saw it and thought that I should pass it on.

Keep up the good work guys!
Griffin

Glademist

Hey there guys. I am building the scratch builds from Kappa boards. I live in europe. As a result my planes are roughly 1.2 times heavier. How do i select the right motor to get similar performance? Any hints? The ecalc stuff doesnt have the cheap motors like NTMs from HK :( thanks for any help. I tried the NTM 28 26 with a 9x6E but its not enough to climb vertical.

c172ae

Pro plane crasher
I tried the NTM 28 26 with a 9x6E but its not enough to climb vertical.

Try to go down a little bit on the pitch. a 9x6 is most probably stalled when you are not moving, so going down to 9x5 may solve the problem.

I use exactly the same motor on the same plane, also made from kappa, and it climbs vertical with an APC 9x4.5

augernaught

Augernaught
Humm... this thread got kinda useless of late huh?

I know the FT guys are uber busy, but this is sad..........

IT IS supposed to be the hard question link,
so I will ask..

Chad, where are you, bro?

Tell me you are hard into the development of the second FT war bird, the *****,
and all is forgiven... hehehe.....

wink wink :p

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes

so I will ask..

I think Chad trusts us to answer people's questions too much to check. :p

augernaught

Augernaught

That would negate the "Ask Chad" idea, would it not?

So I guess you're going to tell me what FT is up to now, since you have taken up the position?

What's the word on that new war bird??????? :applause:

I have a clue, but don't want to spoil it for anybody...
PM me if you can keep a secret?

Last edited:

Gantorin

Chad,
I want to thank you, Josh B., David, Alex, & and the equally intellegent and funny Josh Scott. I have almost completed my first ever RC plane (David's Spitfire design) and about to complete a dream I had since I was young. You all helped fill the gap where my little angry hobby store has failed. Making this reality come true. I run into a lot of people that just would not help get my feet wet in this venture, and you all have laid out easy steps and tips that I have built everything I know on. I don't know a large amount, but I now it will grow. So mission accomplished - You got me into the hobby, and I am going to spread my love and knowledge to anyone that is interested and wanting to learn. Just paying it forward like you all have done for me. So again from the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

wittpilot

Just Plane Crazy

So I guess you're going to tell me what FT is up to now, since you have taken up the position?

What's the word on that new war bird??????? :applause:

I have a clue, but don't want to spoil it for anybody...
PM me if you can keep a secret?

First warbirds are probably going to be the Me-109 & P-51.

You have to remember that while Chad is the creator of FT, he also runs his own production company. That's why FT has it's own dedicated crew now with the likes of J.B., Alex, Austin, David, & others. The purpose of the forum community is to help others and not just a means of communication to the FT crew.

-Adam

7AC

Nice meeting you!

Chad, Just wanted to say "thank you" for pausing to talk to me last Saturday in Toledo at the RMRC booth and giving me a quick view of the Flite Test "family". As I said then, my grandson is a Junior in High School and is trying to map his future. He has interests with both video and with UAV's and your experience is certainly examplary as someone who has taken the new communication forum and sucessfully applied technology to it. Hope to see you again in July for the first ever Flite Test fly-in. Thanks again! Ken Martin AKA "7AC' on RC Groups," Freshwaterfish2012" on You Tube.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes

It just seems that most of the questions in this thread are generic ones that any one could answer. I know that a lot of people have answered the majority of them before Chad had a chance to. Because the thread has trended in that direction, then the Chad wouldn't have to check as often. But I think he's just way too busy.

It's not as bad as the Ask Josh thread. I think Josh forgot about it. It has been over a year since he's posted anything in it.

Hopefully Chad comes back (to this thread) and checks it weekly like he used to.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor

so I will ask..

I think useless is a bit harsh. No worries though :p
I have fallen behind, and I apologize for that.

The Flite Test community has grown waaaaay bigger than I could have ever expected. The amount of emails we get is absolutely astonishing. We divide them up between the Flite Test team and we can still only get back to about 40% of them. We have to prioritize. Support emails that have to do with our website, or our products, are number one priority.

Advice on equipment is the most time consuming. I cringe every time I get a question asking if "this" will work with "that." In my own experience the hobby industry is so experimental and inconsistent, the results are not guaranteed. We try to post everything we can in order to share the information we've learned. Quite frankly, the advice from others in this forum is usually more accurate or helpful than what I could provide. I often reach out to the community to help me with questions.

I'd like to keep this thread focused on questions about the my role with Flite Test, the function of Flite Test, behind the scenes curiosities, values, etc. If someone has technical questions, it's best to ask the community they are very sharp!

Yes, I do trust you!

Chad,
I want to thank you, Josh B., David, Alex, & and the equally intellegent and funny Josh Scott. I have almost completed my first ever RC plane (David's Spitfire design) and about to complete a dream I had since I was young. You all helped fill the gap where my little angry hobby store has failed. Making this reality come true. I run into a lot of people that just would not help get my feet wet in this venture, and you all have laid out easy steps and tips that I have built everything I know on. I don't know a large amount, but I now it will grow. So mission accomplished - You got me into the hobby, and I am going to spread my love and knowledge to anyone that is interested and wanting to learn. Just paying it forward like you all have done for me. So again from the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

You are welcome.

First warbirds are probably going to be the Me-109 & P-51.

You have to remember that while Chad is the creator of FT, he also runs his own production company. That's why FT has it's own dedicated crew now with the likes of J.B., Alex, Austin, David, & others. The purpose of the forum community is to help others and not just a means of communication to the FT crew.

-Adam

Adam - It was great seeing you at Toledo! David has been obsessed with your bomber jacket :)
My role FT is slowly changing. As you can see, Bixler is taking on more responsibilities and adding to the vision of Flite Test. I am very proud of him and the new opportunities he's bringing to the community. Great things are coming!

Chad, Just wanted to say "thank you" for pausing to talk to me last Saturday in Toledo at the RMRC booth and giving me a quick view of the Flite Test "family". As I said then, my grandson is a Junior in High School and is trying to map his future. He has interests with both video and with UAV's and your experience is certainly examplary as someone who has taken the new communication forum and sucessfully applied technology to it. Hope to see you again in July for the first ever Flite Test fly-in. Thanks again! Ken Martin AKA "7AC' on RC Groups," Freshwaterfish2012" on You Tube.

Ken - Thank you for taking the time to share your story with me. Meeting people like you is why I go to events like that.

It just seems that most of the questions in this thread are generic ones that any one could answer. I know that a lot of people have answered the majority of them before Chad had a chance to. Because the thread has trended in that direction, then Chad wouldn't have to check as often. But I think he's just way too busy.

It's not as bad as the Ask Josh thread. I think Josh forgot about it. It has been over a year since he's posted anything in it.

Hopefully Chad comes back (to this thread) and checks it weekly like he used to.

I'm here. I'm here :)

I see the comments when they come through. The problem is, I like to be as thorough as I can be. The technical questions slow me down because I have to do research or find the proper resource to refer.

Believe it or not it's much easier for me to answer the truly hard personal questions than the technical ones.

GENERAL UPDATE:

My role with Flite Test is changing. Some great things are happening and they will allow us to do more to serve the community. I am very excited to share the changes. Until some things are defined better, it wouldn't be appropriate to make an announcement. I'm giving you guys a glimpse behind the scenes by sharing as much as I can right now. It's very difficult to balance transparency with prudence. Please give me some grace.

It has been my desire from day one to make Flite Test a trusted source of entertainment, education and inspiration. I take that trust VERY seriously. Over the past three years we've been listening to what you guys wanted and try our best to respond with humility, passion and excellence. As the Flite Test community grows, so does the passion and humility. To continue growing in excellence requires additional help.

---To Be Continued---

ViperTech

I just want to thank YOU Chad and all the guys at FliteTest! I have been able to get into a hobby I longed to do as a kid, Just could not afford it back then (80's). My son has also joined in the fun with an Old Fogey and a FT-22! Thank you for your personal responses on here! I can clearly see that what you have going on will just exhaust all of your and the guys time. I would send out a request to all on the forum that the members help each other with technical troubles and let the FT guys bring us the new designs and plans and shows and products! I look forward to what is next! GOD Bless you and your efforts!

DDSFlyer

I am fully impressed that you and the guys at Flite Test have been able to keep such personal contact with your fans as you guys have just grown so big. I can't even imagine how much email you get and how much time it would take to respond to it in the personal and informative ways that you want to do. You have definitely built a community to help you out with that here on the forums and I hope that everyone takes advantage of the knowledge as I do everyday. It is just great to have a dedicated thread to be able to reach out and ask questions personally to you and to think that you can respond to them is awesome. Thanks for keeping in touch with all your base and I hope that your vision, as well as your participation, in Flite Test goes on for a long time.

rockets4kids

The amount of emails we get is absolutely astonishing. We divide them up between the Flite Test team and we can still only get back to about 40% of them.

Do you at least have a form letter you send back when you don't have time for a proper answer?

Have you been doing anything to help direct the questions you can't or don't have the time to answer to the forums?

Trippey

Is there any chance of a high resolution version of the flitetest logo being uploaded? It would be very helpful for those of us taking part in the T-Shirt contest mentioned in podcast 21.