At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Are you all doing the double sided tape on motor pod to secure your ESC?
Looking good. Yep, did the double-sided tape thing. I've got the esc on the side of the pod and the bec is on the deck behind the front bulkhead. I liked the idea of having the esc forward in the windstream.

Berekiah

I use velcro for the ESC's and batteries so I can easily move them around if need be.

Thanks for the encouragement Mayan, After a few more flights over the weekend I chopped off the panniers. They just get in the way and keep binding up so I chip the props and have to replace them too often. Now I am just running the landing gear without the extra bulk and they are running much smoother now. Will have to see how they handle some landings soon.

It hard enough getting my own flights recorded, but getting good quality video is tough. Especially on just an iPhone. I have to hand it to those who do such great video's. Still here are a couple of 3d flights I thought I would share to continue to inspire :)

SEFSD: The Mamba

SEFSD: Dueling Mamba's

basslord1124

Master member
Ended up going with velcro. My double sided tape and my ESC weren't cooperating too well.

I have a new issue though that I can't seem to figure out. Thinking it's an ESC setting. So I bound it up this morning so I could test motor direction and change motor wires if I needed to. I used a copy of my Bloody Baron model in my Spektrum DX6 to serve as my FT Edge model. I have no issues out of the Baron's settings. For the Edge though, it's like my throttle/throttle cut semi-work. The throttle cut switch works fine for when the motor is off...but when I flip it to turn the motor on, at 0 trim the motor actually spins. Not full blast or anything, but maybe 1/4 actual throttle even if the throttle stick is down. I have to take the throttle trim to the negatives to shut it off. Like I said, it works fine on the Baron, so not sure why it's behaving like that.

basslord1124

Master member
Actually I wonder if I just need to calibrate it. Silly me didn't even try that yet. Knew I should've had more caffeine this morning. lol.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @mayan ...I'll give it another go here today. Then I can start getting the cowl on.

I did just finish up this little part. Still gotta add the doublers and BBQ skewers. The top canopy was actually a tricky little part and one of the only few areas I used more hot glue on instead of Titebond.

top hatch 2.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
Yup, got ESC calibrated...so all is good now. Well I think the seas are going to get a little calmer now.

edge fuse front.jpg

edge fuse side.jpg

And I've already gotten a good start on the wing.

Ended up doing the front cowl mostly with hot glue instead of Titebond...just felt it was an area that needs flex since you more or less had to mold it to shape. I also did more hot glue on the canopy. I know originally I thought the internal structure piece was the most difficult part of the build. From a cutting perspective I think it and the cowl are kinda tough ones to cut. But I would say, as a whole, the fuselage in general is the most difficult part of the build...the number of cuts, bends, etc far exceed most other FT designs that I have come across.

So next steps:
-Work on wing (obviously)
-Install tail section (and make sure both are aligned with wing)
-Install my servos and linkages
-Figure out my landing gear plan...I am not going to use wheel pants.
-Usual last steps...program rates in my radio, check balance, charge battery, put on prop, feed the cat, void my bowels before the maiden flight (don't want to have any issues in case something happens)...ya know, the usual last minute prep stuff. :D

mayan

Legendary member
Yup, got ESC calibrated...so all is good now. Well I think the seas are going to get a little calmer now.

View attachment 139453

View attachment 139454

And I've already gotten a good start on the wing.

Ended up doing the front cowl mostly with hot glue instead of Titebond...just felt it was an area that needs flex since you more or less had to mold it to shape. I also did more hot glue on the canopy. I know originally I thought the internal structure piece was the most difficult part of the build. From a cutting perspective I think it and the cowl are kinda tough ones to cut. But I would say, as a whole, the fuselage in general is the most difficult part of the build...the number of cuts, bends, etc far exceed most other FT designs that I have come across.

So next steps:
-Work on wing (obviously)
-Install tail section (and make sure both are aligned with wing)
-Install my servos and linkages
-Figure out my landing gear plan...I am not going to use wheel pants.
-Usual last steps...program rates in my radio, check balance, charge battery, put on prop, feed the cat, void my bowels before the maiden flight (don't want to have any issues in case something happens)...ya know, the usual last minute prep stuff. :D
@basslord1124 looking good so far just make sure you put on the prop and make sure it will spin with your hand (DO NOT POWER IT FOR THIS TEST), I found that I have to use and X mount to get clearance for the prop to spin without binding the nose cowl.

Alright folks so yesterday I went with @Eddo radush to the field, giving me someone to film the maiden of my Edge 540 for this co-op build thread. You can read more about the day at the field here: The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary.

Anyhow here is a picture of the plane before the maiden and the maiden video. The plane did get a field repair but came home in prefect flyable condition. Enjoy!

faa658a5-bbbf-43ad-b957-ac7240eabfbb.JPG

EDIT:
@BATTLEAXE here is the maiden video of the Edge 540.
@kilroy07 where is your maiden? :)
@buzzbomb when are you giving it another go?

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@basslord1124 looking good so far just make sure you put on the prop and make sure it will spin with your hand (DO NOT POWER IT FOR THIS TEST), I found that I have to use and X mount to get clearance for the prop to spin without binding the nose cowl.

Alright folks so yesterday I went with @Eddo radush to the field, giving me someone to film the maiden of my Edge 540 for this co-op build thread. You can read more about the day at the field here: The Second Part of my Journey - The Diary.

Anyhow here is a picture of the plane before the maiden and the maiden video. The plane did get a field repair but came home in prefect flyable condition. Enjoy!

View attachment 139714

EDIT:
@BATTLEAXE here is the maiden video of the Edge 540.
@kilroy07 where is your maiden? :)
@buzzbomb when are you giving it another go?
Ha, haaa! Wonderful! You've obviously got way more experience with the Edge than I do. I'm really uncomfortable with it. To me it just flies so heavily. I know, I just need more experience with it. :)

I'm hoping to take it back out on Monday or Wednesday. Congratulations on another beautiful maiden! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ha, haaa! Wonderful! You've obviously got way more experience with the Edge than I do. I'm really uncomfortable with it. To me it just flies so heavily. I know, I just need more experience with it. :)

I'm hoping to take it back out on Monday or Wednesday. Congratulations on another beautiful maiden! :D
I imagine that with the symmetrical wing gives it the hang off the prop feel as compared to a cruiser, or is it built to be tail heavy, or is it a combo of both?

basslord1124

Master member

Ya know, I kinda wondered that after looking at it when it was finished. Haven't tested it, but it appears like it may barely bind. If so, I may just shave the cowl just a little bit.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I imagine that with the symmetrical wing gives it the hang off the prop feel as compared to a cruiser, or is it built to be tail heavy, or is it a combo of both?
I'm not sure to be honest with you. Not enough experience on my part. The plane just doesn't feel like it's flying, so much as it's struggling to be airborne.

mayan

Legendary member
Y’all have to use the x mount on the motor then. @BATTLEAXE i don’t think it was designed to be tail heavy on launch it seems under powered to me but throttle up and your in a different zone. Guess this plane just needs speed :).

Bricks

Master member
Me personally I do not like to tape down any servo wires I cannot get to, yea just never know when a servo could go bad. Granted with just tape they can at least be ripped out I have seen some where they glued the servo wires in place..

When I built my Edge I have similar size EPO 3D foamies and to me the motor they recommend it just does not have enough OOomph to it. I went to a 3512 1000kv on 3s and it feels much better. Now when I put in a 4s to me that is the way a true 3D plane should fly.

basslord1124

Master member
Rudder and elevator are now installed. I think the rudder ended up being a little crooked. Grrr. And I used Titebond too so I doubt I could remove it as easily as hot glue. I may just leave it as is and see how it does. Also got the elevator and rudder linkages on yesterday...still gotta do ailerons. I'm doing the minimal throw manually first through the servo/control horn. Basically what you were recommending @mayan . I am going to do Z bends all the way around and get away from linkage stoppers on the Edge. Sometimes I spoil myself with linkage stoppers. Also should be getting some props today.

Also needing to find a sweet spot for my receiver. My ESC and BEC wires won't reach to the location where it is in the video. They're close. I may just put the receiver more forward OR I suppose I could use a small extension.