At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

basslord1124

Master member
Here's a few pics:

edge-fuse-tail.jpg

edge-tail-servo.jpg

Apple Pie

Elite member
Got my needle cutter up and running today and the first project on the cut list is an Edge. Probably out the top of my flying skill envelope, but what the heck, it’s one that I’ve just got to build and fly!

And then probably build a second one to replace the first one 😳

kilroy07

Legendary member
View attachment 141861
This fuselage is crazy compared to everything I’ve cut and built before. Hence the push to make the needle cutter!
As an owner of a decent sized laser cutter, I can't imagine cutting out an Edge by hand (that one I would definitely buy the speed build kit.)

Congrats on the needle cutter, is that an openbuild cnc? I've got the makings for an OX, I just need to find a place to put it once I get it together. ;)

Apple Pie

Elite member
As an owner of a decent sized laser cutter, I can't imagine cutting out an Edge by hand (that one I would definitely buy the speed build kit.)

Congrats on the needle cutter, is that an openbuild cnc? I've got the makings for an OX, I just need to find a place to put it once I get it together. ;)
I’ve got an Xcarve CNC that I’ve been using for the past three years or so for wood projects. 1000mm x 1000mm bed so plenty big for foam boards. Just getting into this hobby with my 13 year old son and we just spent a summer madly building and crashing planes. Damn that was fun! Hand cut from plans for the most part so very excited to have the needle cutter up and running.

basslord1124

Master member
I agree, looking good! Don't forget the skewer on the tail skid. You might not WANT to land it, but land it eventually, you must! :)

I may end up using a metal wire. Those skewer tail skids don't seem to last long for me.

And yeah when it's up in the air, I may not want to land it. Take offs and landings are always something I fear.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I may end up using a metal wire. Those skewer tail skids don't seem to last long for me.

And yeah when it's up in the air, I may not want to land it. Take offs and landings are always something I fear.
Ha, ha. I actually meant you wouldn't want to land because you were having so much flying it. I know where you're coming from though. Hand launch maidens seriously make me nervous. Landings not so much, since I never really land so much as drop the plane in the grass. ;) I'm hoping my Storch will help me with that when I get her finished. Time will tell. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah speaking from my experience...

Yes, definitely one of the craziest fuselages to put together. I used a hot wire cutter for certain parts of it, but most was done by razor blade. Quite a job!
+1

Ha, ha. I actually meant you wouldn't want to land because you were having so much flying it. I know where you're coming from though. Hand launch maidens seriously make me nervous. Landings not so much, since I never really land so much as drop the plane in the grass. ;) I'm hoping my Storch will help me with that when I get her finished. Time will tell. :)
It will I can vouch for it and so can @Arcfyre after all it was he that recommended it to me. Great flying plane very good with hard landings so makes for a great practice plane. just make sure to calculate the lengths of the wires for the landing gears that's where I fell :(. Mine is now in the process of being declared RIP once I strip off all the electronics. Also make sure to use a c pack motor and 10x5 prop, that's what I used plenty of power. Last thing you must remember the ground speed effect the plane will have, so if you come in short with low throttle up elevator won't help you at all you will have to use thrust even without up elevator the plane will rise. Happy that you are building that plane :).

Arcfyre

Elite member
One thing I ended up doing to my storch, which I highly recommend if you plan on using it as a takeoff/landing trainer, is to replace the stock 4-piece landing gear assembly with something like this. Super cheap, and much much more durable, especially if you reinforce the inside of the fuselage with some hobby grade plywood to help spread out the loads from landing.

Apple Pie

Elite member
A roll of tape and a can or three of spray paint and it’s taking shape. I never really had a plan when I started so it’s kind of hodgepodge, but dang I’m liking the looks of this one!
C15C4934-587B-4D01-9AEA-DC946A4B60B6.jpeg

Apple Pie

Elite member
Ok, all finished up. I’ve programmed dual rates and plenty of expo but I think I’m going to wait a bit before the maiden. First, it’s just to nice to look at and that won’t last long once I pound the first landing 😄. But more importantly I’m waiting on Headbang’s plans for a simple edge so I can try my hand at an acrobatic plane before flying this one. I have to say that this is a very enjoyable build regardless and is very satisfying to see it all come together. 😋

Attachments

• A820CC5F-B134-412E-80FC-724AC9718A21.jpeg
    A820CC5F-B134-412E-80FC-724AC9718A21.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 7C6471FC-192A-405F-8347-80F91119B605.jpeg
    7C6471FC-192A-405F-8347-80F91119B605.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok, all finished up. I’ve programmed dual rates and plenty of expo but I think I’m going to wait a bit before the maiden. First, it’s just to nice to look at and that won’t last long once I pound the first landing 😄. But more importantly I’m waiting on Headbang’s plans for a simple edge so I can try my hand at an acrobatic plane before flying this one. I have to say that this is a very enjoyable build regardless and is very satisfying to see it all come together. 😋
It came out very nice! Really Sporty! Your top/bottom orientation is outstanding! just nice work all around. I can empathize with your reticence to fly it. Normally I would council "Go for it, you'll love it!" With @Headbang and @Grifflyer so close to finalizing a 3d trainer, if you're able to wait (I wouldn't be ;)) Than a few practice runs on a 3d trainer certainly can't hurt your chances of a successful maiden.

Keep in mind, though. The Edge is designed for 3d. It also flies well. You'll probably want to get some basic circuit flights under your belt before you try 3d with it anyway. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So close, building a new one, getting video of the whole thing for a build video. Would finish it tonight but my gopro battery only lasts 45mins. So very soon.
I got two extra batteries and a charger for my Hero4 from wasabi power for about twenty bucks. I sometimes forget to turn the gopro off when I'm between planes at the field. The spare batteries have come in very handy for the price!

Headbang

Master member
I got two extra batteries and a charger for my Hero4 from wasabi power for about twenty bucks. I sometimes forget to turn the gopro off when I'm between planes at the field. The spare batteries have come in very handy for the price!
I am using a hero 5 session. At the field a usb power pack. For this purpose I have it hanging from my shop light with green painters tape, do not want to add extra stuff, already a bit precious lol