At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

mayan

Legendary member
I used to do minwax @bracesport ... But then I started venturing away from it. No real reason other than maybe weight saving.

Well I got a good portion painted with some new better non-paper-wrinkling spray paint. Heres what I got so far, still need to add the 2nd color and some more black touch up. Paint I used is also in the pic

View attachment 144335
Is that the paint that caused the wrinkles? Because that is what I use and don't get wrinkles unless I really really over coat. Take a tip from me, paint in the sun light coats and you won't have to wait much in between coats :).

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Actually I tried another small shot with the spray paint and I honestly am starting to think it is the spray paint causing the wrinkling. I have used spray paint straight on other planes before and been very careful and not had this issue before. This is the brand I was using:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlace-Spray-Paint-Fire-Red/35521857

Yeah Buddy.... THAT was your problem!! 😖 Another eclectic skillset of mine comes from Painting REAL Cars.

That "Off Brand" Paint is very heavily Lacquer Based. Not a bad thing per se...
Works OK on several types of surfaces.
The Lacquer Thinner in the Paint, soaks the Paper quickly, which of course, eats away at the Foam! 😖😠 What does the REAL damage, is the Acetone, Xylene and Toluene!! All Aerosol can Propellants contain varying degrees of these. Cheaper Paints have a higher concentration of Toluene - mainly because it's CHEAPER.

Besides being HORRIBLE for your Liver and Kidneys, Toluene EATS Foam, in smaller concentrations than other common Chemicals in Propellants.

Your Chemistry Lesson for Today!! 😜
Seriously, if you're painting Lawn Equipment or stuff like that, the cheap crap is just fine....

STAY AWAY from it on Foam or other sensitive materials.

I've had decent luck myself with the Rustoleum.
OH!! NO KRYLON either!! Its got higher concentrations of Toluene, PLUS it's even got LPG as its Propellant. I wouldn't use it on hard Plastics either!

{.... To the inevitable Person likely to say "I use Krylon all the time, and never had any problems" - YOU'VE BEEN LUCKY!}

basslord1124

Master member
Is that the paint that caused the wrinkles? Because that is what I use and don't get wrinkles unless I really really over coat. Take a tip from me, paint in the sun light coats and you won't have to wait much in between coats :).

Oh no, that's the good paint there. The first one was some cheap stuff from Walmart. The Walmart stuff is called ColorPlace and it's in a blue can. I've generally had good luck with Rustoleum, so I picked up a can of it and all is well with the Edge. :)

Wife and I were at Walmart and I mentioned needing spray paint so I could paint the Edge. In the spray paint aisle she immediately picked up the super cheap stuff. I hadn't ever used it, so I thought it'd be ok too. Oh well lesson learned and luckily I had stopped before I had the whole thing painted. I don't particularly want to redo that section since I'm so close to completion on it, so figure I will live with it OR maybe try to cover it up somehow. Hmm, wonder if wrinkles will make it fly better? :D:p I almost thought I could sorta make flames out of the wrinkles even though I swore I was going to be different and not do flames.

Thanks for the info on spray paint @PoorManRC . I honestly think from the get go I just always picked up Rustoleum brand and had great success with it. Guess I just got lucky and picked the right brand from the start. I'll look at my paints later and see, but I think most are Rustoleum that I use for my planes.

boltroxu

Hey guys I often lurk in the forums for info when I need it but I have an old hk3511 motor and esc combo I bought on a good deal one day wondering if that is more powerful and better suited to this plane or if I should just use the extra old power pack c I have? Thoughts? Also sorry if this isn't the place to ask the question. Pic is my spare unused motors that can go in this build.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_115425.jpg
    IMG_20191008_115425.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Hey guys I often lurk in the forums for info when I need it but I have an old hk3511 motor and esc combo I bought on a good deal one day wondering if that is more powerful and better suited to this plane or if I should just use the extra old power pack c I have? Thoughts? Also sorry if this isn't the place to ask the question. Pic is my spare unused motors that can go in this build.

I basically used the same motor on 3s I felt the 2800 size motor was under powered, running the bigger motor I could use a bigger prop to keep more air flowing over the control surfaces.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I used the middle motor in my build. It felt underpowered and came in hot, but is usable. I probably had the wrong prop, but it's definitely workable.

mayan

Legendary member
I could vote for the c pack motor on a 3S will
Keep it airborn but won’t be to speedy although will work. At the moment that’s how I fly. And yes this thread is all about the edge any questions you have drop it, we all will help promise.

basslord1124

Master member
@boltroxu ...Can't tell too much from the pic as far as what KV they are (except the 810KV). I am using an 1120KV brushless motor...equivalent to a Power Pack C. Looks close in size to the middle one you have there. I am in the painting process with mine and haven't had my maiden yet so I can't speak on its performance. Plan on using 3S as well.

boltroxu

@boltroxu ...Can't tell too much from the pic as far as what KV they are (except the 810KV). I am using an 1120KV brushless motor...equivalent to a Power Pack C. Looks close in size to the middle one you have there. I am in the painting process with mine and haven't had my maiden yet so I can't speak on its performance. Plan on using 3S as well.

It's a grand turbo 2215/09 from old power pack c not the new radial stuff something from a warbird I crashed or got bored of.

boltroxu

I used the middle motor in my build. It felt underpowered and came in hot, but is usable. I probably had the wrong prop, but it's definitely workable.
Let me know what prop works best with this plane and motor as I need to buy some new ones anyways.

mayan

Legendary member
Just got my edge today will begin cutting it out and using pieces as a template to make 2 or more.. My 3d experience is lacking so should help having a spare set of parts or even a whole spare plane. I will post some pics tomorrow night of what I got completed.
Regardless check out this thread to be able to get yourself a 2D3D Trainer. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...o-dimensional-plane.60246/page-19#post-504905

And GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: I myself am using it to crash myself in to learning to fly 3D. Broke 2 already :)

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Some painted updates. Still gotta add a few more coats to some things, but it's coming together.

edge painted fuse top.jpg

edge painted fuse bottom.jpg

edge painted wing.jpg

The craft paint dries so much slower. I'm keeping certain yellow parts on the bottom to help with orientation (especially the large strip on bottom of the fuse).

sarafarahi

When I got on this forum nearly an year ago I was not sure what to expect, I wasn't sure what I'd find here. If it would be a cold place with people that weren't in the mood to help others or rather it would be a loving family with lots and lots of good people and a never ending will to help others. I quite rapidly felt cared for with the rapid replies to my never ending questions and the tons of advice filled with love that I got. Today I can call more than a handful of you my friends, and some even good friends.

So today I want to ask two of my good friends @kilroy07 and @buzzbomb to join me in this co-op build thread. What are we building?! Well duhhh it's in the title! We'll be building the FT Edge 540, yep you heard it @buzzbomb you get to build and fly by far one of the most craziest FT planes I have ever flown and I've flown a bit by now ;). But wait there is a catch we don't just build it and fly like any other plane we learn how to make the most out of it and that is fly it 3D.

Since I have expreince with this model, both full scale and the 75% scaled down version I'll be here to answer any questions you all might have. I'll also throw at you some re-enforcement tips that helped me survive my head first hard crashes :). What I re-enforce is the underside of the fuselage the part holding the the power pod and the wall onto which the power pod connects to. I'll do this either using 2mm balsa wood or card board.

I've already built mine, although still debating about the paint scheme, which will have to include Lamborghini yellow as per the request of a few of my friends here on the forum (ummm @CarolineTyler).

View attachment 135735
View attachment 135736 View attachment 135737 View attachment 135738 View attachment 135739 View attachment 135740 View attachment 135741 View attachment 135742

Any ways hope you two join me and hope others do too :).
Let's go fly :))

PoorManRC

Master member
Some painted updates. Still gotta add a few more coats to some things, but it's coming together.

View attachment 146035

View attachment 146036

View attachment 146037

The craft paint dries so much slower. I'm keeping certain yellow parts on the bottom to help with orientation (especially the large strip on bottom of the fuse).

LOVIN the bumblebee look! I may try that on something... I really want to do an Edge..... You know, the way we discussed. Somehow it will happen.

Can't wait to see how yours does in the Air!!

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @PoorManRC . Glad you like it. I think I did it more for orientation than looks b/c the Edge is a plane that I wouldn't want to get confused in the air since it's so maneuverable. But I think it's coming out pretty good. I will probably leave it like this for now and may add some other yellow areas if it survives the maiden...like I had thought of the bottom of the elevator too.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks @PoorManRC . Glad you like it. I think I did it more for orientation than looks b/c the Edge is a plane that I wouldn't want to get confused in the air since it's so maneuverable. But I think it's coming out pretty good. I will probably leave it like this for now and may add some other yellow areas if it survives the maiden...like I had thought of the bottom of the elevator too.
When is the maiden anyhow?