Atlanta Newbie - only needs prop and plane suggestions

Psuffix

Hey guys and gals! New guy here, just posting for the first time about some equipment I bought three years back and it sat in a closet after I put the batteries at storage capacity.

• Turnigy 2730-1300kV
  • 3 - 1000mAh 2s 20c Lipos (charger and programming card as well)
  • 18A ESC
  • 4 - 9g servos
  • Orange T-Six Transmitter (bought a Mode 1 and switched the internals and settings to make it Mode 2)
  • 10 - 8x4
  • 10 - 9x4 ABS props
  • XT60 connectors

Basically it's a setup for the swappable series, but I've really got my eye on the Tiny Trainer now that I've decided to get into the hobby for real and build some foamies, plus minis seem to be better for the space I'm using. I'm wondering if the setup I've chosen so far is too powerful for the Mighty Mini series, and if the props chosen are suitable for the engine and setup (tons of datasheets out there about the Blue Wonder or Silver Wonder but not the Turnigy). Or, should I just build something simpler as trainer instead, like the 3-Pack Swappable to start out. I'm worried about it being too simple, too quickly, being only 3 channels fliers. Baby Blender and some 1300mAh 3S batteries could be next. Eventually, I'd like to get the FT 3D and learn some cool maneuvers, as well as some other planes once I'm established.

I have a few pieces more equipment I'm going to order as well... a couple of 6g servos for ailerons later, 0.032 inch (0.81 mm) piano wire, extra 9g servos, and a servo tester. Should I add some extra props, of same or different sizes? What else have I neglected?

Thanks for the help! Blue skies!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Psuffix,

First off, welcome to the forum!

The 2730's are a bit heavier than the 1806 and 2204 motors typically recommended, and runs a lot slower (you'll need a longer prop, which you have) but the power is about right. The turnigy 2730 is a clone of the blue wonder, so match the kv (which is set by how the motor is wound) and the data should be close to how your motor performs. At roughly 50w on 2S, it's not overpowered for the mighty minis. A little heavy, maybe, but not overpowered.

For the tiny trainer, that motor is doable, but you may need some tail ballast to get the correct ballance. It's a bit weird . . . On a typical model the tail is too heavy or ballance just right, but you put the weight where you need it. Be sure to get your battery as far back as it can go, and think about sliding the motor/pod deeper into the nose than what's normally done. Spinny bits can't touch the walls, but only the prop must be in front of the fuselage.

I would caution, you'll be running fairly heavy with that setup, and the fttt runs a bit underpowered on 2s. Under the recommended 2S setup the speed wing is not advised -- it simply does not create enough lift. You'll want to move to 3s for that . . . And a shorter prop to account for the boost in voltage -- 9x4 for 2S, 8x4 for 3S.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Psuffix,

Hello and thank you for a nicely detailed introductory post. Where in the world do you fly? Is this your first build? Have you flown anything else before?

When it comes to knowledge, consider Crafty Dan the guy who really knows his stuff. If he denies it just disregard that as him being humble.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to post some photos and videos. Success, failures, and troubleshooting are all welcome.
—Jim