attaching propeller to motor

flyinpigs

Just as the title dictates, how are you guys attaching your propellers to the motors? I have been using m3 nylon nuts on the shaft of my motors.I don't really like the idea tho.

This is the motor I am using:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ST_1200_Brushless_Outrunner_motor_1200kv.html

With this motor I am using I want to ask what should I use? I see a few propeller adapters but unsure of a proper solution.

I was thinking this but I am unsure:http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__71789__Propeller_Adapter_Collet_Type_3mm_AR_Warehouse_.html

Thanks

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Just as the title dictates, how are you guys attaching your propellers to the motors? I have been using m3 nylon nuts on the shaft of my motors.I don't really like the idea tho.

This is the motor I am using:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ST_1200_Brushless_Outrunner_motor_1200kv.html

With this motor I am using I want to ask what should I use? I see a few propeller adapters but unsure of a proper solution.

I was thinking this but I am unsure:http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__71789__Propeller_Adapter_Collet_Type_3mm_AR_Warehouse_.html

Thanks

With that motor a collet adapter is a bad idea. Collets are friction based devices that take advantage of metal on metal contact and a bit of a squeeze to grip. Threaded shafts only present the bare edge of the threads to the smooth collet, so the gripping strength is amazingly low in comparison to a smooth shaft.

On the positive side, M3 is a VERY common thread size, and it's not too hard to find M3 nyloc nuts -- you get the strength of a metal nut, and a nylon insert that'll keep it all tight. You'll need a matching wrench to pull it on and off, but that's a small price to pay for a for-sure secure prop. If you can't find it locally, the FT store has 'em among the hardware accessories for multirotors, but you've got to buy a whole pack of bolts and nuts.

flyinpigs

Craftydan is at it again! Thank you. Oh and I got got the jk 2 board with the q brain esc hooked up correctly. I read a ton of different ways to set up it but this is the only one that has worked.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
With a threaded shaft like that motor uses, I found that these work great. A single nut (usually comes with the motor) will secure this prop with no issues.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...peller_RD_9070_228x178mm_green_6pcs_set_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...eller_DD_9050_229x127mm_orange_6pcs_set_.html

Keep in mind that the RD props will have a higher amp draw. If you stay within the recommended prop size for that motor, the amp draw difference between the two styles of props is comparable to the difference between APC style props and Slow Fly style props.

I use this motor (very similar to the motor you linked) http://graysonhobby.com/disposable-foamie-combo-sport-18a-esc-thread-shaft.html with those props with no issues.

Another added bonus is that the prop is the tool for putting the nut on and taking it off.

flyinpigs

I like those propellers I don't want to wait on them tho! Lol. I do like the Grayson website you posted. Think I have found the motor esc combo for my next project.... A v trail quad!

flyinpigs

Grayson hobby is located in GA! awesome dance! I'm in SC and i do not like waiting at all. i think i have found a new favorite. That hobby king processing time of like 3 or 4 days is killer.

One final question: Since i have this box o copter and i am using the Gemfan 9045 propellers. I would like to experiment with different pitchs on propellers. Is there any science involved in choosing the right pitch for your application? Also what are slow flier props for? I assume they are for trainer parkflyers?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I'm no prop expert, but this is what I have observed. It seems that the SF props are for the lower KV motors to provide more thrust. Those bigger spoon paddles for blades grab a bigger gulp of air. Most SF style props seem to be 7-14 inch diameter. That diameter corresponding to the lower kv motors. You will notice the little, high kv motors spinning 3-6 inch props and those are generally APC style or similar (sleeker blades with thicker hubs).

The SF props are thin and have a speed limit. Technically, you could spin it too fast and it would break.

In perfect settings, the prop would move forward its pitch every rotation. So your 9x4.5 prop is trying to move forward 4.5 inches per rotation. Your lower pitch prop will give you finer, more precise control over speed, while your higher pitch prop will give over all more speed.

I don't have a lot of multi rotor experience. My understanding is that a lower pitch prop will give you more precise and smoother control while a steeper pitch prop will give you the punch and quick responsiveness. Keep in mind that the steeper pitch will increase amp draw. I noticed a difference on my HMB when I went from 5x3 props to 5x4.5. The quad felt "softer" with the 5x3 props. With the 5x4.5 props, it felt more zippy.

Then again, I could have that all wrong. Just my observation

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Prop pitch sets how much the prop will bight into the air at each pass, and because of that, it's measured in how much farther forward it must be with each revolution to bight into clean air. That means, for a 4" pitch on a 1200kv motor, with a battery running at 11.1v, the prop will perform *most* efficiently with a forward speed of (4"x1200kvx11.1v) = 53280 in/min . . . ok that's a weird unit, so with a little bit of unit magic we multiply that by 0.000947 to convert to MPH, so (53280x 0.000947) = 50.45mph is the happy "pitch speed" of a 4" prop

. . . but wait a minute . . . forward speed of a prop in hover . . . is 0 mph?!? yup. they're running a bit inefficiently, and increasing pitch speed on a hovering quad *generally* decreases battery life . . . but what if the quad isn't hovering? In race quads, to get a bit more lean-into-it forward speed, they'll bump up the pitch. for starters, you're probably best off keeping that pitch number as low as you can find easily. When you begin to explore racing, then start looking at steeper props, but keep in mind, the steeper the prop, the more power is required to throw it -- you might have to trade diameter or bump up the power system if the current prop is near the upper end of what the motor/ESC/Battery is happy with.

As far as Electric/normal/slowfly variants, generally they have different prop rigidity and shape depending on how hard the prop will be worked. slowfly props are designed for lower RPM, lower power flight, where as E-props are designed to be spun quite a bit faster with a higher power demand. For low speed/low KV multirotors, slowfly props are a fair place to start -- you'll be breaking most of them on the ground anyways ;)

. . . but one word of advise, GWS props aren't particularly strong props. They're perfectly functional, but I wouldn't demand much from them.

flyinpigs

Craftydan I will save that entire post. you too Teajr66 good information.

So i have taken from this is to reduce my pitch on my propellers because this is just a flying toolbox. No 3d flying, no aerobatics, so i will keep it lower. Maybe a 3 or 4 pitch. Sense i see you said GWS props are not the strongest i will see what all is on the market . You guys are awesome. so much useful information.

Now i want to think of more questions to ask you guys lol.

flyinpigs

One more question.

So bc I am having a hard time keeping my propellers tight. I see that my propeller will spin freely around the adapter.

My question is is everyone gluing the propeller and the adapter rings together? Or will a washer and nylon metal but fix all of this?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Just tighten it down. Unless you are using counter rotating props, it should not work loose.

what adapter are you talking about? The motor you linked is a threaded shaft. Put the propeller on, then put the nut on. Maybe a small washer between, if the prop hole is larger than the motor shaft.

Maybe send us a picture of the parts you have on hand and are having an issue with.

flyinpigs

This is the propeller I currently have http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Propellers_CW_CCW_Set_Grey_AR_Warehouse_.html

Just cw and ccw propellers. The propeller has a bigger center hub than my motor shaft size, so I have to use a hub adapter.

What I have been doing is put that 3mm hub adapter in the propeller hub. Then put the propeller onto the shaft, then a washer bc the nut would sit to low in the top of the propeller. Then finally 2 nylon nuts. I have even experimented with putting a lock washer after the flat washer then the nut to hold it all down. It's a hit or miss.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Stick with the CCW and use the system you are describing. Get it as tight as you can without breaking anything.

flyinpigs

Sup I just got my gws propellers in. They are direct drive 9050. They look like they are only one direction. Are these propellers meant for airplanes and not quadcopter? Can they be flipped? They came as a pack of 6.