• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Aura 5 Lite aileron reversing

Brian B

Elite member
I'm almost completed my Aura 5 setup with a DSMX SPM4650 satellite in an FT Spitfire controlled with a DX6e. Setup was going ok, bound, throws & expo adjusted, etc..., but one glitch that seems easy to address in Configuration software I just can't figure out. Have not flown yet. All controls in flight mode 1 looks good, including roll direction. But in flight mode 2 (6 axis) or flight mode 3, the controller functions the ailerons in the reversed direction, so it would certainly crash once enabled. It is not a problem that can be fixed by holding the stick to the right for 6 seconds, which would correct the autoleveling function, but my transmitter controls would then be reversed. Thanks.

I would just reverse the aileron on the radio. It should be in servo setup I think. There should be a YouTube video about reversing channels for spectrum radios.

Bricks

Master member
If the ailerons are working correctly when not in stabilization mode then it needs to be changed in the Aura. That`s all I know from working with other stabilizers.

Brian B

Elite member
I'll collect screenshots, reset the Aura, start over, and if that works I'll compare the new vs old settings and see if I can isolate what might have done this, and report findings. Thanks.

Brian B

Elite member
Tried resetting the Aura, but doesn't seem like settings were cleared. Still trying. Any company reps reply in these forums?

dap35

If the controls work correctly, but the problem is with the 'corrrection' that stabilization applies, I would check the orientation of the Aura5.

Brian B

Elite member
I think I finally got it. Turns out two negatives do make a positive. I reversed the aileron servos on both the transmitter and in the Aura configuration, and it is now in sync. Thanks for the tips all.

dap35

Double check that your rudder works as expected. The first time I flew, my rudder correction was reversed and it was a scary flight. I started testing by holding the plane in front of me and rotate in a chair, left and right to verify that the rudder (in 3-axis mode) was working to counter my movement.

Brian B

Elite member
Thanks. I've seen that rudder issue has surfaced more than once for others, and once or twice I thought I saw it do something funny, but can't recreate. First flight I'll set rudder throws very small, since I'm more comfortable with bank&yank, scared I'll accidentally throttle the motor up&down when using the rudder. Still working on my coordination, since I just started flying after a 30 year hiatus!

dap35

Thanks. I've seen that rudder issue has surfaced more than once for others, and once or twice I thought I saw it do something funny, but can't recreate. First flight I'll set rudder throws very small, since I'm more comfortable with bank&yank, scared I'll accidentally throttle the motor up&down when using the rudder. Still working on my coordination, since I just started flying after a 30 year hiatus!
Rudder throws are much more tolerant than ailerons IMO, and they come in handy on take off and landing.

dap35

Finally a real world example of using algebraic concepts that I can show my kids and say, "look see... you can use this in the real world!"
A few years ago, I went in to speak to middle school kids about the importance of math and science. During the talk to one class, I asked the students "How do you know if you get the right answer when you are using a calculator?" - The response was "Duh, I press the Equal sign"... Sigh. I then went on to talk about the importance of understanding if an answer made sense.

Very newbie question -
Please guys, off-topic, I'll be receiving my 1st Aura soon. I generally understand what it does and how to use it, but what specifically is a satellite receiver? Is it something I'll need to get? Can't I use a regular receiver?

whackflyer

Master member
Very newbie question -
Please guys, off-topic, I'll be receiving my 1st Aura soon. I generally understand what it does and how to use it, but what specifically is a satellite receiver? Is it something I'll need to get? Can't I use a regular receiver?
A satellite is a secondary receiver you can plug into a regular receiver and locate somewhere else in the plane. Mostly used by bigger scale planes that need more redundant signal or the standard receiver is in a non optimal place and has interference.

dap35

Very newbie question -
It depends on the brand of Transmitter/Reciever that you use. The key is that the Aura5 uses a a serial connection from the reciever. This is how the Aura gets the control commands (ie throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator...).
If you are using Spectrum radios, then you need a satellite rx. Futaba and other TX/RX systems, have more options.

Take a look at the Aura Wiki :==> http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura/GeneralConnections

It depends on the brand of Transmitter/Reciever that you use. The key is that the Aura5 uses a a serial connection from the reciever. This is how the Aura gets the control commands (ie throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator...).
If you are using Spectrum radios, then you need a satellite rx. Futaba and other TX/RX systems, have more options.

Take a look at the Aura Wiki :==> http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura/GeneralConnections
Wait a minute -
For all the "plug and play" joy that FT expresses about this Aura, and for how often I see them so happy about Spektrum radios, you mean to tell me they got a newbie interested in the hobby and he went out and bought a DX6e, and a couple planes later he bought an Aura, and he can't use the two together?

I have the regular Spektrum AR620 6-Ch that comes with the radio, and I have an OrangeRx R610V2 Lite coming in the mail.

dap35

Wait a minute -
For all the "plug and play" joy that FT expresses about this Aura, and for how often I see them so happy about Spektrum radios, you mean to tell me they got a newbie interested in the hobby and he went out and bought a DX6e, and a couple planes later he bought an Aura, and he can't use the two together?

I have the regular Spektrum AR620 6-Ch that comes with the radio, and I have an OrangeRx R610V2 Lite coming in the mail.
Not all receivers have the correct output to connect. I think the video's are pretty clear about using a satellite rx.
Its not like anyone has just one plane and one rx, right? I have several Aura's, the launch mode for hand launching is amazing, and for a beginner like me, they make flying enjoyable. Yes, I need to rely less on the 6-axis mode.

Thx for the input. I've only needed one Tx and one Rx for all the different planes I've had so far. That's what velcro's for.
I really don't like the idea of needing a new radio to do this.
There is such a thing as a receiver with stabilization included.
Having trouble figuring out my options here.