Aura - how to switch between 3 and 6 axis ?

Hvon11

Defaults From the Aura Config Tool:
Flight Mode 1, GyroOff/LowRate: Dual Rate/Expo = Ail 70/30, Elev = 70/25, Rud = 90/15
Flight Mode 2, LowGain/LowRate: Dual Rate/Expo = Ail 70/15, Elev = 50/10, Rud = 70/10
Flight Mode 3, HiGain/HiRate: Dual Rate/Expo = Ail 100/35, Elev = 100/25, Rud = 100/15

I modified the values for my FT Scout (with ailerons) using the tool and setting values on my Xmtr as I felt the rates were too low in all three modes and I wanted to have control rate change optionality in the field. On my xmtr I set Servo Travel to 125, I set a two position switch to activate Dual Rates on xmtr; for Aileron pos 1=100% and pos 2 = 125%. So 100% uses the Aura5 value and 125% multiplies it by 1.25. For Elev Pos 1=70% and Pos 2 = 80% so my xmtr values reduce the Aura5 resulting elevator throws. For Expo I set to 0 on Xmtr and 45 on Aura for all 3 surfaces. So it’s sort of a mix and match between Xmtr and Aura.

If you just want to do it exclusively on Xmtr I would set the above Dual Rates to 100 and the Expo values to zero in the Auara config tool. I advise powering on the Auar5 when using the config tool and turn Live Data On. Write to Aura after each value change then check the corresponding control with the Xmtr.

Last edited:

bisco

Elite member
that would be great, thanks for the detail!

unfortunately, i do not have a windows machine. i guess i'll have to set the tx to defaults and hope the aura rates and expo will prevent a crash on the maiden.

dap35

Elite member

unfortunately, i do not have a windows machine. i guess i'll have to set the tx to defaults and hope the aura rates and expo will prevent a crash on the maiden.
It might be worth finding a friend with the dread windows system to help get things set up

Hvon11

Well I think you can go ahead and set up a switch for low rates/high rates as well as Expo on your tx and play with some values and see how the control surfaces react on the bench. I think the rates will behave linearly for whatever values you choose. Not sure what expo will do so try extreme values so you can observe the reaction. Take off with switch in low rates and see how it responds. Gain some altitude and switch to high rates. I always maiden with low rates and climb up and start a bank to the left. Sometimes its painful to wait for the turn to come about but its better than a fast reaction that stalls and augers in! Been there. Have fun.

Last edited:

randyrls

Randy

Don't know where you are, but the AMA has flying fields all over and I'm sure someone would be willing to let you configure your Aura on their PC machine.

The latest Spektrum SRXL2 apparently has the ability to change the settings without a windows machine. It is called SRXL2 and you can change the Aura flight parameters without using a PC. BUT you have to have a Spektrum TX and SRXL RX to make it work.

I'm still experimenting with this so don't hold me to this! AND it is way odd how it works. See the recent Flite Test Tech video

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Don't know where you are, but the AMA has flying fields all over and I'm sure someone would be willing to let you configure your Aura on their PC machine.

The latest Spektrum SRXL2 apparently has the ability to change the settings without a windows machine. It is called SRXL2 and you can change the Aura flight parameters without using a PC. BUT you have to have a Spektrum TX and SRXL RX to make it work.

I'm still experimenting with this so don't hold me to this! AND it is way odd how it works. See the recent Flite Test Tech video
You may need a PC to put the latest firmware on the Aura too. Older Aura firmware does not support SRXL2.