Aura Lite V-Tail Mode

dpapworth

Hi all, I've been having some real trouble with setting an aura lite up for a V-Tail configuration aircraft. I can't find much of what the difference is between the "VTail A" and "VTail B" types on the aura configurator, but they don't seem to do anything different on the plane. This plane is a FT Tutor that has been converted to a Vtail configuration, so there are Throttle, Ailerons, and then the two ruddervators as far as outputs go. The biggest issue so far is that when I have the Aura setup with CH5 on the TX controlling the flight modes with Manual (gyro off), 3 axis, and 6 axis-stabilzed as the three modes, I can't figure out why I have much more throw on my ruddervators in the 3-axis mode than any other flight mode. I've been poking around in the configurator tabs, but haven't been able to change anything that seems to make a difference. The transmitter that I'm using is a "bare" model, no mixes, rates, etc setup at all, and the plane was flown with it before (with the stock/standard tail). I'm unsure where the issue lies, does anyone have experience with using the Aura on a V-Tail?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It changes the mix on the servos inverting the elevator mix. So if the rudder is working fine, but the elevator is moving backwards, select the other type.

I couldn't find it in the documentation, but played with both settings in the configurator. You can see the mix config in the servos tab for each channel.

If you change types on the main model screen, you may also need to update the setting on both channels in the servo tab before noticing any difference.

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
There are A and B versions of the aileron/elevon configs as well. As best I can tell, it is almost like the A and B folds... the servos are Above or Below ....

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmm. A for above,. B for below???
It can also be whether your horns are pushing from the right or left side of the servos.

dpapworth

Thanks guys. I'll have to play with that a bit more. Any ideas on why the throw changes so significantly between flight modes?
The biggest issue so far is that when I have the Aura setup with CH5 on the TX controlling the flight modes with Manual (gyro off), 3 axis, and 6 axis-stabilzed as the three modes, I can't figure out why I have much more throw on my ruddervators in the 3-axis mode than any other flight mode.

dap35

Elite member
The 6-axis mode is similar to Spektrum's SAFE mode and the throws are lower. Its been a while but you can adjust SOME of that with the configuration utility, but it is going to be lower throws in 6-axis mode. The benifit to me was that it 'encouraged me' to use my rudder in 6-axis mode instead of just doing bank&yank. That has carried over into flying without 'SAFE' mode.

Spitfire76

I first used V-Tail A but found that the pitch was correct but the yaw was reversed. I then changed to V-Tail B and found that both pitch and yaw were reversed. I then changed both servo port 4 (L V-Tail Type B) and port 5 (R V-Tail Type B) direction from normal to reverse and now pitch and yaw are correct.