Aussie Mega-"Mustang" !

leaded50

Legendary member
In 1943 the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force ) gave the go ahead to CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) to develop their new fighter – the CA-15.

Despite the final layout the CA-15 would have, leading to comparison to the P-51 Mustang, in fact the initial design was much more closely modelled on the German Focke Wulf 190. Chief Designer of the CA-15, Fred David, was extremely impressed by the assessments being made of the then new German fighter and it was this that provided his inspiration. His initial design intended to use a radial engine like the FW 190 – principally the huge Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp.
Which really should not be a surprise. Because Fred David – full name Friedrich David – was an Austrian Jewish refugee who had previously worked for Heinkel. He had also helped develop the Mitsubishi A5M Claude fighter and the D3A Val dive-bomber for Japan before the war.
With RAAF´s successful CAC Boomerang as well, it is safe to say that Fred David knew a thing about radial-engine combat aircraft design.

CA-15-R-2800-10W.jpg

No, this is not the FW190, but first designs on the CA - 15!!

Unfortunately, while the Australians would prove capable of designing and building the airframes of modern aircraft, they had a problem that has bedeviled so many promising designs – engine supply.
The CA-15 was initially hoped to have the Pratt & Whitney R-2800-21 Double Wasp – the same as used in the P-47 Thunderbolt. But in mid-1943, CAC was informed this engine wouldn’t be available and so redesigned the Kangeroo to use the R-2800-10W, as used by the F6 Hellcat. Unfortunately, this engine utilized superchargers instead of a turbocharger and meant that the CA-15 would no longer be a high-altitude fighter, instead specializing in mid-to-low level combat.

The aircraft’s projected performance with the -10W was estimated to be a maximum speed of 365 mph at sea level, 436 mph at 25,000 ft and that it would have an initial climb rate of 4,200 fpm.
On top of this, development was further slowed when CAC was granted a licence to produce the North American Mustang. After all, the Mustang was on route to becoming one of the Allies key fighter aircraft and getting them into service with the RAAF in numbers was more important than an aircraft that was still some way from service.
Fred David persisted, but again engine issues cropped up. In May 1944, with the prototype already being constructed, the team was told that the Double Wasp -10W was no longer available. Instead, they would have to use the R-2800-57, which again used a turbocharger, necessitating even another fuselage redesign to fit it. This once again slowed down the project.

In August, the prototype was about 50% complete when, in a theme you will no doubt now be expecting, CAC got told the Double Wasp -57 would not be available to them. In fact, no Pratt and Whitney engine would be. So, the team set about looking for another engine for their aircraft.
They found it the Roll Royce Griffon 125 that was then under development.

The use of the water-cooled Griffon entailed a major redesign of the prototype, but David and the CAC team did a remarkable job. It was at this point that the superficial similarity to the P-51D came about. With its tear drop canopy, under belly air scoop, square-clipped wingtips and initially intended armament of six 0.5-calibre Browning heavy machine guns, the CA-15 certainly looks like a beefed-up Mustang. But in fact, as this long-winded discussion on the aircraft’s origins I hope makes clear, that similarity is very much coincidental .
By early 1945 the CA-15 prototype was ready, simply waiting for the new Griffon engine to be delivered.

Guess what happend next?
Rolls Royce said the Griffon 125 wasn’t going to be available until late-1945. In fact, they eventually cancelled it, but this was in the future and ultimately not a concern for the Aussie team. They wanted an engine, and they wanted it now!!!!
So, they got two Griffon 61s on loan for fitting in the CA-15. This engine, was the same as fitted to the Spitfire MK.XIV.
With this, finally, the CA-15 got a engine. The aircraft needed a surprisingly few number of tweaks to improve performance, and once handed over to the RAAF test pilots in July the CA-15 was reported to be an excellent aircraft, with great handling and superb visibility for the pilot. With the Griffon 61, the CA-15 had a good speed amd climb rate too. Mustang had a top speed of 444 mph .. the "Kangaroo" did 502 mph in a test.

The aircraft with the nickname of ‘Kangaroo’ was ready for testflights!.

But, as with so many of the late-war ‘super prop’ aircraft, the CA-15s fate had long been sealed. The reason for the long delay in repairing the aircraft after its prang was that it was already obsolete.
In 1946 the RAAF had received its first jet fighter, the de Havilland Vampire. And while David’s team were still tinkering with the CA-15, the new jets very much showed how the future was going to be.
In 1950, Rolls Royce requested the return of their loaned Griffon engines. With no need for the aircraft with the RAAF, and the project essentially being now little more than a vanity project for CAC, the CA-15 project was scrapped.
Which was, quite frankly, stupid as the aircraft should have been preserved, but seems to have been all too common with aircraft of this type.
The pity really is that the aircraft did not get its initial engine layout. Had this occurred, the CA-15 may well have become the primary fighter bomber of the RAAF throughout the Pacific in 1944-45. And instead of the “might-have-been Aussie Mustang”, we would be talking about the “Aussie Thunderbolt”.
Or even “the Aussie Focke-Wulf”?

Anyway its a lovely unique warbird only made as one prototype, and been on my buildlist for some time. Now i had time for it. Builds in 1:10 scale , thats
Wingspan: 1097 mm
Length: 1104 mm

cac-ca-15-side1.jpg
CAC Kangaroo.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
The Kangaroo have a "fatter belly /airintake" than the Mustang, a higher front of fuselage forward of canopy, even a higher fuselage rear.
Also got the wing placed a bit higher in fuselage than the Mustang. I checked the FT Mustang plans, but didnt see it easyer to use them for making this plane. 3D view of the Kangaroo is quite easy to find, even if need check if are correct in sizes of eg both sides of fuselage... ( thats not shure it is always)

leaded50

Legendary member
some unique info :
What other nation would "put a pie warmer" in the cockpit? The CA15 originally featured an alcove below the windscreen for water-methanol injection for the radial engine setup but this was adapted when the inline engine made the alcove redundant. The idea was you could place frozen pies in the alcove and use engine heat to bake the crust to golden perfection. A gentleman pilot could exercise the 30mm’s then land, tuck a napkin into the neck and have a meal with the ground crew.

leaded50

Legendary member
Also Please do plans again on this one.
ahh, well, ill try. I started building it "some medicined" and some paper measured parts was cutted to another in use. Moslty on skins, but anyway, anyone wanna try building such a scratch plane from ground up, shouldnt have any problem fo it them self. The rest i have in the garbagecan by the desk :). And some minor stuff on the 3D view drawing with measurements, will give much inort on how, and what :)

cyclone3350

Master member
Great minds think alike. I was looking another design for a future project with a similar story. The Douglas A-2 Skyshark. Between recovering from afib, which is going to take minor surgery to correct, and the little amount of time that I can spend on my Cub, I would say that it would be awhile before I can get to it.

leaded50

Legendary member
fuselage close to ready "skinned".... ;) It was d** tight against rear, where its not wide, who gave tight radiuses on top/bottom. Tableedge wasnt enough to shape it, used a small metaltube to roll it more to gain enough curb without crease the foamboard.

DSC_1074.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
a "bit" more done, 3D printed some exhaust, and installed them. Get most parts fopr the intake at belly ready, but cant get in place before wing is installed. Frontspar reinforcing is approx 2/3 of the wingspan, rear just a short one :).
Some "foamtype, is used to make reinforcing on wings where retracta will come. I can stand on that foam, without it deforming. Is made locally here inside refriged/freeze truck box factory walls.

DSC_1075.JPG

Underpart of wing with spars, and reinforcings done.

DSC_1076.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
wing done. It got a NACA 66/ Clark Y similarity by me. The original was said had a NACA 66 style, and that was one of the biggest differences vs. the Mustang. Kangaroo´s wing had some laminar flow properties, that the Mustang didnt. A bit unshure info, but either was the wing a shared project by Swedish SAAB, or SAAB got it shared by CAC for their projects....

DSC_1078.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
coming along quite "good", but with some drawbacks :LOL:'
First i forgot measure the planned motor for use WITH the prop-adapter. That gave me a opening of 15mm between fusellage and spinner.....not acceptable in my opinion. Firewall need be moved a bit more rearward.

Second, i forgot to make setup for both the elevator surfaces, needed cut hole in the rear, to make an "extra" connector.
So it is when building "some medicined" :rolleyes:..

DSC_1082b.png
DSC_1083.JPG
DSC_1081.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
one "trick": As seen i didnt make many "thin strips" to build up a well rounded shape on the "cowling" here. The sides are not as much curbed, its more necessary at the bottom profile from its side. With a few "slits" cutted, and the foam pushed together in gluing, that gave a nice round shaped form in sideprofile
DSC_1084.JPG
, without using many skin connections. Cant be used everywhere, but sometimes/somewhere, its a good solution. Some sanding, and preparing before paint, its close to, or will not be seen :)

cyclone3350

Master member
I still can not get over how quickly U put these together. I spent 2 hours last night trying to figure out how to put a cowl on and center up the motor as well as determining the motor mount length. I think I know how I am going to do it and that is as far as I got.

leaded50

Legendary member
I still can not get over how quickly U put these together. I spent 2 hours last night trying to figure out how to put a cowl on and center up the motor as well as determining the motor mount length. I think I know how I am going to do it and that is as far as I got.

I still got time to vape, and drink coffe :ROFLMAO:. To center up the cowl, i place the fuselage flat, as the thrustline is flat agains the floor, measure at rear and front - use a wooden rod into the firewall in exact 90 degee (or use a anglefinder, and if just one motor, adjust a little for down angle = then i know that motor gets right angle that way.
Still with the wooden rod in firewall, and its tacked in place for not moving up/down, i use the lasersight beam, to follow the centerline markings at fuselage parts, and adjust sideways placement of firewall for that angle.

but---- ive used approx 4h today, just to make the canopy/hatch frame right, to follow the fuselage and the plastic bottle shape. Make the "floor" eg.

cyclone3350

Master member
I still got time to vape, and drink coffe :ROFLMAO:. To center up the cowl, i place the fuselage flat, as the thrustline is flat agains the floor, measure at rear and front - use a wooden rod into the firewall in exact 90 degee (or use a anglefinder, and if just one motor, adjust a little for down angle = then i know that motor gets right angle that way.
Still with the wooden rod in firewall, and its tacked in place for not moving up/down, i use the lasersight beam, to follow the centerline markings at fuselage parts, and adjust sideways placement of firewall for that angle.

but---- ive used approx 4h today, just to make the canopy/hatch frame right, to follow the fuselage and the plastic bottle shape. Make the "floor" eg.

I am use the the dowel laser light method myself. I have a 1/2 hardwood that I glued rocket fins to get it stand perpendicular to the firewall. I tack it with high tack white glue at a estimate spot and slide the cowl on and go from there. My issue is using a cowl form one airplane and making it fit another.

leaded50

Legendary member
I am use the the dowel laser light method myself. I have a 1/2 hardwood that I glued rocket fins to get it stand perpendicular to the firewall. I tack it with high tack white glue at a estimate spot and slide the cowl on and go from there. My issue is using a cowl form one airplane and making it fit another.

I see. Some planes have a round circle frontopening against eg a spinner... but doesnt need have a fully circle where the firewall comes.
Mainly i measure the front opening (1) , and even if have a oval shape, plan it to fit against the top rounded shape. Find center.
By measuring /laser i then know where the center of motor need be on the firewall. (red line ) . Use the red line as "thrust"/center line through the fuselage
Using a X-mount, its the easy to mark the holes for screws on motor, or X-mount when used. Just to keep it centered .

I also make a former for the front opening, to ensure i get the skin shapes ok... AND the shape against eg a spinner correct. That former isnt glued fully, but enough to keep it in place for making the skins. Skins are not glued against it, just shaped. Its main reason to be there is to make the shape, and get removed when finsihed with skins up front.

cent.png

on the Kangaroo here, i made a horizontal plate in internals , who follows the "center/thrust" line rearward, with former placed correct on that, it will come on correct place.

Last edited: