Avios C-130 Hercules Wont Taxi Straight

IceCreamMan

Hi all,

A few years ago I purchased an Avios C-130 Hercules RC plane for my father. He has been too timid to advance beyond his trainer aircraft until now.

I helped him finally program the plane into his remote, have the servos all trimmed and we took the plane out to that it taxing and it won't hold a straight line.

The nose wheel is straight and the rudder trimmed properly when the control is in the neutral position. The only thing we can think of is that when first giving power the engines on the left wing start up first. When a small additional amount of power is added the right wing engines start up.

The plane is pulling pretty hard to the left so I think the engines may not be balanced and rhe additional torque is pulling the plane in that direction.

I have no idea how to trim the individual engines. Can anyone advise on this?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
With the left motor starting first it would tend to cause it to turn right a bit. You can try calibrating the esc's to sync them better.
Check that the landing gear on the left is rotating freely. If it is not, it could cause a pull to the left.

L Edge

Master member
Before you calibrate the esc, go to the transmitter and make sure the range of the throttle servo is 0 for off and 100 for full throttle for both right and left throttles. Then do the calibration of the esc. If one range is off, that will make one side start up before the other.

Tench745

Master member
Before you calibrate the esc, go to the transmitter and make sure the range of the throttle servo is 0 for off and 100 for full throttle for both right and left throttles. Then do the calibration of the esc. If one range is off, that will make one side start up before the other.
I'm used to FrSky stuff, but don't you mean -100 for off and 100 for full throttle?

Piotrsko

Master member
If all the props spin the same direction, P force will turn the plane. I had one taildragger that had to be positioned 45degrees to the runway before I had enough rudder authority. Some thrust shims would also help along with slower accelerating.

Thomas B

If all the props spin the same direction, P force will turn the plane. I had one taildragger that had to be positioned 45degrees to the runway before I had enough rudder authority. Some thrust shims would also help along with slower accelerating.
The Avios C-130 has opposite rotation props on each wing, so that is not the problem.

I have two of these, a v2 Coast Guard version and a v1 USAF version.

Best guess is that it needs a throttle calibration, which is easy to do, doing all four motors at once. Otherwise, the landing gear must have a bind somewhere.

Both of my C-130s track perfectly straight on takeoff, no rudder needed.