Back to RC after 32 years thanks to maker foam & Flite Test plans

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
My last plane (1988) was a Sagitta sail plane that took 6 months to build and took 2 hours to turn into splinters thanks to a bad solder in a Futaba radio. But with Flite Tests excellent videos and 2-3 hour build times I'm now scratch building my third plane (SE5) and having a ball. Started with the LongEZ because of the simple build but was a little above my rusty (which is generous) flying skills. Then built the Tiny Trainer and after 4 props, one new nose and a lot of laughing at myself I can fly, land and relaunch without fixing anything.
Keep up the good work, I'm having a blast!
62811045956--116F04EC-742F-4B5D-A550-D42AB07B276F.jpg 62922321966--6FF1CA05-BE1C-4EA0-9907-672A892201A2.jpg 62924530693--FD2A3200-8A4A-44F0-9E68-C666B6A6BCE4.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums and round two your RC experience. Good to see you picked it back up quickly. Your LongEZ looks like it took some terra firma to the face, love it. Foamboard is easy to laugh at when you crash just because it is so easy to fix and its cheap. Thats one of the best looking Tiny Trainers I have seen too.

The SE5 can be a twitchy unit to try to fly. Not just for a beginner but someone getting back into the hobby such as yourself, there is the possibility you wont like it. It is a cool looking plane, thats why I built one. However trying to fly it was sketchy at best, it quickly made it to the trash can after many attempts, fixing, and trying again. One WW1 airframe that many like is the DR1. For some reason it is a lot more user friendly.

Is it just the mini sized motors you have so far or do you have bigger options? Reason i ask, and you probably know this already, bigger is easier to fly

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Thanks for the encouragement, all. And I'm a sucker for flying addictions. Flew 3 hours once to get 20 minutes of right seat time in a Ford Trimotor - the controls are so heavy the copilot earns his money! Sponz, thanks for the great plans! They make it a breeze to scratch build especially now that I'm experimenting with skins. What would you all suggest as a next plane for a beginner?

slowjo

Master member
I got ya beat, Ive been out of rc flying over 40 yrs:eek: got back into it for the same reason Flite Test:cool:, as they say, Welcome to the Addiction :p

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have had some mixed reviews about my FT planes in the past. My last club where RC snobs and unless it was balsa they where not interested, with the exception of a good friend of mine who left the club at the same time as myself.
My new club have a good variety of models being flown, but upto now I am the only one flying foamboard models and members are gradually showing interest.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My last club where RC snobs and unless it was balsa they where not interested

I've also ran into a few RC snobs. This is what my FT plane looked like after the first flight at my club.

1610383599174.png

Last edited: