Balsa flys better

MKolm1911

Balsa/Nitro= the best
Why do I say balsa flys better? Well let’s see what does a full scale airplane have in common with glow and gas rc airplanes they have mass. Yes weight when you fly a full scale or glow/gas rc airplane they will stall. Every foam airplane I have ever seen you back off the throttle and the plane has what I call the (FEATHER) it just floats you show me any full scale or gas/glow airplane that you can do the FEATHER with and I will show you a unicorn. Just please what ever you do if you want to fly electric do it right and fly balsa. Their is plenty of plans out there and kits so if your a electric pilot that wants to really build something without going to the grocery store to get BBQ skewers then go to outerzone plans they have a thousands of plans and their all free.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Not quite sure why you felt the need to post essentially the same thread twice, or why you would choose to post this discussion here, as FT is pretty much the champion of electric foam airplanes. All I can conclude is that you are a troll... Trolls don't last long around here, the mods are too awesome :p

epiper93

I’m not sure why he’s not allowed to voice his opinion just like everyone else does on here. That’s the beauty of the forum. Just because you don’t agree with him doesn’t make him a “troll.” I know a lot of people that feel left in the dark because glow and gas isn’t represented as a good way to fly any more and I have to agree with him, they do have more power. And I fly Electric foamies so I haven’t a knife in the fight.

MKolm1911

Balsa/Nitro= the best
Try balsa and ply

Well nice to get a reply ElectriSean people like my self that have been building rc airplanes the people you call trolls started this hobby. As far as champion airplanes look at the Joe Nall fly in look at the TOC go to them watch them on the enternet the majority are glow and gas a few electrics. Don’t bash it if you never tried it I’ve seen it the electrics they don’t have the vertical performance and flight time as a gas/glow. So if you want to fly a electric that’s fine but do it right build balsa.

Bricks

Master member
I fly all three electric , nitro , and gas my smaller plains are electric and you are right balsa does fly much better then foam board. Cost of mistakes is higher with balsa, that is where the Dollar Tree foam board really shines.

abieex

Mentor
Dear Mr. MKolm, I built my first Sterling "Ringmaster" in 1959. The balsa, silkspan, ambroid and dope were intoxicating to me. Years passed and I flew and built more.Same as many, life got in the way and flying/building took a back seat to everything else. When I tried to return about six years ago I was shocked to see how expensive it had become. I discovered Flitetest and built several foam and electric planes and thanks to FT the passion was rekindled. I now build both balsa and foam and have never enjoyed it more. Many of the folks on this forum were introduced to rc flying and embraced the hobby due to FT and the affordability of foam and I think the hobby is growing again. Its not growing because of stodgy old closed minds but because a group of young folks dared to try something different. Their generation may well be the savior of this sport, something that you and I could not or would not do! Now, back to the hangar with you and I'll see you next time I fly with the Balsa Bees. By the way, balsa isn't better its just different!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I'm in total agreement, balsa is far superior to foam board. If you are going to pour out your heart and soul building something, then you should build it with balsa that will last forever. Foam board tends to degrade quickly and may last a year or maybe a little more, but that's it if you fly it regularly.

That being said, foam board is great for a quick build that you can fly and not worry about and learn new maneuvers or just plain learn to get into the hobby. It is a great stepping stone into the balsa side of the hobby and I have a few FT scratch build planes around for the days when I want to throw down some hard core aerobatics and not worry to much about death and destruction. I do see a few people put too much effort into foam board builds that wont last very long. But, I guess it teaches you technique and building skills that you can transition into a more permanent type of material. I sure do wish FT would get into manufacturing the balsa kits someday.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The argument of balsa being better than foam is silly, as is the argument of gas/nitro being better than electric. Better for whom? Foam is better than balsa in some cases and balsa over foam in others. A blanket statement of "X is better than Y" can't be made as it doesn't hold true for different needs and wants.

While I *PREFER* balsa, I do own plenty of foamies and enjoy flying them. While I *PREFER* gassers over electric, they aren't practical for all of my planes and locations I fly, so I have both.

Not everybody has the time or space to build from balsa, and not everybody has a place to fly that will allow wet fuel aircraft. Build and fly what YOU like, and what makes YOU happy.

abieex

Mentor
By the way, welcome to the forum MKolm1911! All opinions are certainly welcomed and your experience is appreciated.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I should add to my comment, Balsa is superior because it has much better longevity than foam board. As far as EPP, EPO, ect, that stuff will last forever too and looks great and there are some super nice planes out there made from that stuff, but I just like making my own stuff as construction is part of it for me and balsa is the way to go.

So, in closing, I would add that if you want to make flying things of beauty and a work of art, then balsa (or glass, and other strong materials) is the way to go, if you need a quick building flying machine that will last a year or so and is cheap, then foam board, and if you want a nice flying craft that is ARF and will last and take a beating, then EPP OR EPO is the way.

In my opinion foam board can't be a work of art as it just doesn't hold up for long. I just have been burnt a few times with foam board failures and too much time into building them. I still fly the fb, but I cant take it seriously any more for a build time investment.

abieex

Mentor
I agree nhk750. I have pretty much strayed from foam board as well cause they just don't last long enough. Currently have a MMLucky Ace, Sig 4Star and currently building the 3.6M Foxbat. I do have several EPP planes that I really like. We have to agree though that foam is bringing people to the hobby that we would have never seen without FT. Fair Skys,Steve

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Whilst I too agree that Balsa does fly very well, I do not think that balsa is superior in any way to foam, all things considered. I use depron, which does not have the FT paper backing and I also fly balsa and nitro planes.

And with your comment about "feathering". Just changing material from foam to balsa if the weight stiffness etc. is the same will not stop 'feathering' or otherwise drastically change flight performance.

And again, there are times when I would much prefer my plane to 'feather' then go into a full blown stall.

If you have never seen a foamie stall then you mustn't have seen many! Try the HK funfighters, the teksumo, Durafly spitfire.... all of those will stall just as well as any balsa model.

Like joker said, it is a stupid argument to be having. Being a Aussie I get a earful of the Holden/Ford debate, and at the end of the day it falls down to which one you prefer.

Its also a matter of situation. I mostly fly foamie electric because the nearest flying club is 70kms away and I get to go there at the most twice a year. for me, owning a plane to fly it twice a year is not viable.

So MKolm, if you like to fly Balsa and nitro then good on you and thanks for keeping that part of the hobby alive.

BUT.

I find your attitude towards foam aircraft quite annoying and frankly this is a forum based on electric foam flight, and if you like balsa then great so do a lot of others including myself but don't put down foam just cos you don't like it!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If you have never seen a foamie stall then you mustn't have seen many! Try the HK funfighters, the teksumo, Durafly spitfire.... all of those will stall just as well as any balsa model.

A Funfighter won't stall as long as you've got the throttle wide open! :) I still love the reactions by those who haven't seen a Funfighter at full speed - they don't expect much, and are floored when you go WOT with a 4 cell. None of my balsa planes would take the abuse my little Corsair has seen, so my hangar absolutely has room for both.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Yep I have never owned one, but my third plane was a 15" wingspan Concorde style delta with a 1900kv 2628 stock bixler 1.1 motor... That... was fast!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
You are all wrong, insulation foam is obviously better than both balsa AND foamboard! :rolleyes:

It just depends what you enjoy really, since I started making planes out fo wire cut foam I haven't built a single one out of cardboard because they feel much faster to build and fly better. This doesn't mean I won't ever touch cardboard again, I have quite a big stock to get rid off.

I also would like to try balsa but I don't want to spend weeks and a lot of money to built a plane just to destroy it. With foamies you can build one one in a day, crash it and rebuild it before the day is over.

As other said it's just your preferences

epiper93

I'm a firm believer in, whatever gets you in the hobby is awesome, I fly foam, and balsa I have a lot of fun with both, foam got me interested in the hobby, balsa keeps me flying. I will say, once you fly balsa, I don't think you'll be switching back unless it's super windy. I love my balsa planes, anything smaller than a 40 gets an electric, anything bigger gets gas or glow.

Javiester

Elite member
you can not be so radical in this life
I love to build on a balsa, I've built a lot even though I've never flown them
the balsa is very romantic and very helpful to practice something that is scarce in the XXI century "PATIENCE"
however, the foam board is the best invention for us, the novices in the flight, it gives us the opportunity to destroy one every weekend
from here I take the opportunity to thank for the plans Flite Test disinterestedly, thanks to them apart from building, I will learn to fly them
Thank you

P.S. in any forum should be able to talk about everything as long as the first rule "mutual respect" is maintained

Sorry for the translation
I use the google translator

Last edited: