Bat Bone

jhebbel

Jitter, perceivable stepping or ratcheting action that would translate to camera vibration. My CNC machine using stepper motors has the motion I describe and it is not smooth if a camera is attached to the motor it vibrates badly even at small micro-stepping intervals. ;)

Link to the motor used on the DJI Zenmus

http://www.maxonmotorusa.com/maxon/view/catalog/

3 phase motor with hall effect sensors for positional feedback. (AC servo motor)

Thurmond
The spazing, I dont know how to better describe it, is purely a result of the cutting software, in reality the motion of the motors could be as smooth or rigid as you want, but a CNC machine typically has a tolerance far smaller than 1mm and that is accomplished using a 6 pole 4 stator motor (typical motor on desktop sized CNCs), now gimbals like the RCTimer are much more accurate with 14 poles and 12 stators and provide a much smoother action than even a CNC machine but the fact remains that the motor is still wound in the same pattern an a stepper motor.

Cant speak much to DJI's gimbal but I do in fact own a RCTimer and have had these motors open (had to repair loose stator) so I can speak from first hand experience on RCT's motors.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Then I would partially conceed that there may be more than one way of accomplishing this task.

Thurmond

Johan

Oh, very excited, just got the email "your order is shipped".
Thanks flitetest for a great design and concept and all of your hard time !!!

Congratulations by the way, I just noticed the kit is out of stock now (thats a lot of orders in one week!)

Now all I'll have to do is wait for the electronics - that apparently are shipped on the backs of cargo turtles or something like that ... :p

Might as well try to learn to fly in the meantime :)

Johan

Got the same message today! And, my electronics arrived today. :applause:
Congrats! I just saw part of the electronics I ordered have now made it to the Post Office (in HK that is).
Still have to wait for the rest (motors are on backorder).
I guess I'm not going to fly it with just 2 ESC's and a battery charger sitting on my desk :)

pr0xyfl00d3r

I'm waiting for mine 2, anyone know how long it takes the first class items to get to the uk from the flite test guys last info it was at CHICAGO ? and that was 4 days ago, but think its left the US, still waiting for the electronics to show up at the HK post peeps

Johan

Meanwhile second part of electronics have shipped from HK, not shure if it will go by plane or by ship..
The copter frame just checked out of USPS sortinge centre in Ohio, not shure if there is another stop on the way to europe.
Main thing is that all main electronics are still in the queue because of backordered motors..
No ETA on those yet...

pr0xyfl00d3r

Meanwhile second part of electronics have shipped from HK, not shure if it will go by plane or by ship..
The copter frame just checked out of USPS sortinge centre in Ohio, not shure if there is another stop on the way to europe.
Main thing is that all main electronics are still in the queue because of backordered motors..
No ETA on those yet...

mine is come to the UK and last check in was at chicago, IL , 60666 and no change in nearly 5 days so hopefully its in the uk now.. fingers crossed

Johan

mine is come to the UK and last check in was at chicago, IL , 60666 and no change in nearly 5 days so hopefully its in the uk now.. fingers crossed

Ah, as of now, we're in the same boat (or plane I hope), : Latest update June 29, 2013 10:55:00 CHICAGO, IL 60666

Johan

Johan

Well, got 1 part in today,
but it is not the frame,
nor the motors
or anything other interesting:

It is the (10pin) micro usb connector for when I decide to go FPV with the go pro (About last in the chain...) I ordered that locally.

Anyway, can't have everything :confused:

The 2 HK shipments are still in customs, so is the frame (unless they're transported by sea turtles as we speak).
I still see Chicago / HK in the status although all shipments claim to have left their origin.

I canceled the third shipment from HK (OK, I did not plan very well, admitted) after an email that the motors (1380 KV) could remain out of stock for months...
Tried to order the alternatives locally (blue wonders), but 2 (in stock) does not make much sense for a tricopter.

At lazertoys supply is also limited.

I guess flitetests success with the Bat Bone has evaporated the stock of the recommended motors :D And they deserve it !!

Anyway, always good to read up on stuff and check FT's latest hilarious video while waiting for the good stuff to arrive :)

Hmm according to YouTube, there is only a few episodes to go before I've seen them all.
So Josh, Josh, Chad and David (and all others involved behind the scenes and patient spouses) : you are doing a great job: entertaining and educating people in a great way.. Well produced, professionally made etc etc. I better stop before it gets embarrassing, but maybe too late :eek:

Last edited:

ecoster

I just bought this

en_3.jpg

It was delivered the next day
so now I can practice while I wait for the HK order

Last edited:

Johan

well my first order from HK came today but still no frame :(
Well, just about when I was about to give up on the Hong Kong Post tracking tool (they have a free iOS app), the status did change from 'left country of origin' to 'arrived country of destination', so something is happening :) was in transit for 3 days BTW

But the frame is still somewhere between Chicago and Amsterdam (prop plane? :) )

Thats is 5 days and counting ..

Anyway, things will turn out good in the end I guess...

BTW, when checking the satus on the USPS site I got a request to take part in a survey. Not the best timing... After 10 minutes of questions I'd had enough and quit it.

Last edited: