Solved What battery would be better?

Hello,

I am buying the last components for my plane the battery and charger and I think I have found a better battery.

Origanal Battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...304&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

New Battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...450&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

ESC: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-plush-32-30a-2-4s-speed-controller-w-bec.html

Charger: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...686&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Is the new battery better? Will it work with my ESC? Will it work with my charger?

Thanks, Joseph

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the new battery weights more 360g vs 204g, has a slightly higher max current draw (40*2200 < 20*5000). They both have XT60 connectors.

What are you using to supply power that that charger? (it looks like a DC in charger, so you need a power supply to power it).

I don't see any reason that ESC wouldn't work with the given batteries (give appropriate connectors and connected motor).

the new battery weights more 360g vs 204g, has a slightly higher max current draw (40*2200 < 20*5000). They both have XT60 connectors.

What are you using to supply power that that charger? (it looks like a DC in charger, so you need a power supply to power it).

I don't see any reason that ESC wouldn't work with the given batteries (give appropriate connectors and connected motor).
I don't really know how I will supply power to the charger yet, someone else reccomended a laptop charger?
Is the weight going to make a huge differnce, witch battery would you pick?

JasonK

depends on the plane. an extra 100g would be 'death' on most of my planes.

How are soldering skills? the ESC you have there are going to need at least 1 connector soldered to it and either bullet connectors for the motor side or be soldered to the motor leads.

depends on the plane. an extra 100g would be 'death' on most of my planes.

How are soldering skills? the ESC you have there are going to need at least 1 connector soldered to it and either bullet connectors for the motor side or be soldered to the motor leads.
Hi, I have done all the sondering I can't really tell if its any good I have done some in the past but not much I have tested most of the connections with a multimeter but can't test all of them, Will the smaller battery (2200MPH) be enugh for a long ish flight?

JasonK

depends on the motor, plane/etc. I get 5-8 minutes on 650mAh batteries on my planes. flight time is dependent on your airframe, how you fly (mild cruising via acrobatic/full power), your motor, your battery.... asking if a given battery will make a 'longish' flight isn't answerable.. and what do you mean by 'longish'? for how race/freestyle quads are flown 5-8 minutes is longish time, but I would say normal/low for many fixed wing flights.

JasonK

What have you flown already? how much experiance flying do you have? what plane are you building? is it your own design?

What have you flown already? how much experiance flying do you have? what plane are you building? is it your own design?
I have never flown before and it is my own design, I am not interested in it doing much as it's my first plane I just want it to fly.

JasonK

I would really suggest starting with the Tiny Trainer or other known well flying airplane and learning to fly first... then getting into making your own designs. You will have a much better experiance learning to fly before trying to design your own planes. Because your going to crash a whole bunch when you start out and knowning if it is an issue with the plane or the pilot is very helpful when designing plans and learning to fly. Starting with a known untrained pilot with an unknown design isn't a good combination.

Timmy

Legendary member
I would really suggest starting with the Tiny Trainer or other known well flying airplane and learning to fly first... then getting into making your own designs. You will have a much better experiance learning to fly before trying to design your own planes. Because your going to crash a whole bunch when you start out and knowning if it is an issue with the plane or the pilot is very helpful when designing plans and learning to fly. Starting with a known untrained pilot with an unknown design isn't a good combination.
Agreed. Tiny trainer is an awesome first plane, make sure to buy a bunch of props for it too. And to awnser most of your question we will need info on the plane and motor.

This would be a much more universal charger not the fastest but covers more batteries and 110 volts or 12 volt input and not much more cost.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6...235&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

The batteries you listed are a huge difference in size and weight, with out knowing more about your plane no way to tell what you can use.
Thanks, what could I use to power this?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Any motor you are going to use with a 30 amp ESC will be of the smaller size with a higher KV rating (1000kv+) on 3 cell. Those tend to go through a good amount of amps so they would eat up power faster. A larger motor with less KV (in the 450-700kv range) will eat up less amps so it will fly the battery longer. No matter which direction you go the lighter the battery the better for longer flights, less power to needed to move the plane. But a 5000mah battery is overkill for this size of ESC, just by the amount of motor required to fly the weight of the battery, if that makes sense. If i was you I would shoot for the 2200-3000mah range, its a good compromise.

If you are planning on designing your own airframe for long stable flights you want something with light wing loading and a decent wingspan with the least amount of drag possible. Like a powered glider or a flying wing. Whats your plans on the airframe?

Well I made the airframe and it's questionable :ROFLMAO: this is because I made it a before I had seen many FT videos.
It's a normal plane design like a Cessna.
I am not very sure it will fly but it's my first try so I'm ok with that if it doesn't I will make a simple flying wing plane.