Solved Beginner FT Flyer with an A2208 - will it do well?

abraarsameer

Hello guys,

Newbie here. I am building my very first airplane - a slightly modified version of the FT Flyer with the servos on the tail instead of the wing. These are the electronics I am planning to use:

Motor - A2208 - 1400KV (I’m not buying from Aliexpress, by the way. Just for reference)
ESC - One of those ‘cheap red‘ 30A Chinese ones
Prop - 8x4.5” - probably a slow fly, pic attached
Battery - 3S 900 mah, around 60-70 gm according to Amazon

Two reasons for moving the servos back - since the motor is a bit bulky, I was afraid the airplane could get nose heavy. As a bonus, the wing gets removable. I don’t see any downsides of this mod, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t have lots of options for the parts because of my location and fairly low budget. They could be ordered from China, but I don’t want to sit back and wait for another month.

Is the prop a bit too big for this motor with a 3S pack? And is this setup good (or at least satisfactory) for my first flights, considering wing loading and speed? I chose the 3S to compensate for the extra weight, and to get some performance later on which a 2S probably won’t give.
214C6567-64AF-4472-A292-95A6168D5943.jpeg . 39F0E54A-0B56-452B-BFDC-E7E2DEF8594E.jpeg

scoooter

So hi fellow noob. I am new also so my opinion should count for very little. I am not familiar with the plane you have built but in general it's ok to mount servos on the tail or back end of the plane. Just be sure that your center of gravity (cg) is correct. Next about your motor of choice look at what the ft guys recommend. And base your decision according to that. They generally have plenty of power so I would not go tremendously overboard. If you do go too big on first takeoff you might experience tork roll issues. Try to stick to the basic rules of 100 Watts per pound and you should be ok. Good luck. Also lastly there are some good us based stores. That carry cheap options you don't have to wait for Chinese delivery.

Corsair714

Hello guys,

Newbie here. I am building my very first airplane - a slightly modified version of the FT Flyer with the servos on the tail instead of the wing. These are the electronics I am planning to use:

Motor - A2208 - 1400KV (I’m not buying from Aliexpress, by the way. Just for reference)
ESC - One of those ‘cheap red‘ 30A Chinese ones
Prop - 8x4.5” - probably a slow fly, pic attached
Battery - 3S 900 mah, around 60-70 gm according to Amazon

Two reasons for moving the servos back - since the motor is a bit bulky, I was afraid the airplane could get nose heavy. As a bonus, the wing gets removable. I don’t see any downsides of this mod, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t have lots of options for the parts because of my location and fairly low budget. They could be ordered from China, but I don’t want to sit back and wait for another month.

Is the prop a bit too big for this motor with a 3S pack? And is this setup good (or at least satisfactory) for my first flights, considering wing loading and speed? I chose the 3S to compensate for the extra weight, and to get some performance later on which a 2S probably won’t give.
View attachment 186492 . View attachment 186490
That setup sounds fine to me. Just lettin you know I had an FT Flyer and is was a bit of a handful to fly. So be ready for anything. I hope it all goes well for you. May I suggest as well that you practice on a simulator for awhile. It'll save you a lot of money and heartbreak (from breaking your planes that you worked really hard on building). Absolute RC is a good sim and you can use it on your phone.

mastermalpass

Elite member
That set up sounds ideal to me. Good for driving any standard size plane - wingspan in the 25-30" range. But I it can work for smaller ones too, I've got two Biplanes just under 28" wide, one weighing around 300g and the other around 350g. They can both carry the 56g camera as well. The 300g Biplane is capable of going vertical and at quite some speed and the 350g one doesn't struggle with going up either. So a power system like that can provide plenty of kick when you need it to.

Never seen the FT Flyer in action - best of luck with the maiden! Bring back a vid if you can. :)

Flite Risk

Just flew one for the first time last weekend.it was a stock build and flew quite well. My biggest takeaway flying it is very subtle very small inputs. If you crank your elevator full up you'll stall it if it doesn't have momentum. That can be applied to all Aircraft.
Make sure you fly two or three mistakes High and are slightly nose-heavy

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Ive flown my FT Flyer with the std MT1806 and a 6x4 prop with both 2s 500mAh and a 3s 700mAh. Its flown well with both set-ups. I think your motor spec is a little on the high side to be honest and the ESC is over spec for the style and size of model. But its up to you at the end of the day it will fly okay and you can always transfer the set-up to a bigger model later if you wanted.
Ive upgraded from an MT1806 to the MT2204 using the same prop and battery options on my Tiny trainers, you get more oomph/performance without adding anymore weight.
A Simon-k 20 amp ESC would be ample. It would be fine for even your set-up as its a working current <6 amps and maximum current of 8 amps.
I only use a 12amp ESC with the MT1806 and 20 amp with th MT2204. (You can always over spec an ESC anyway, no harm done it just means extra weight and won't work as hard).

The Fopster

Master member
Should be fine. I learnt to fly on the FT Flyer and it's a great design. Easy to fly and can cope with the odd unplanned landing. I'd say as long as the CG is right and you keep the control throws a little smaller you should do fine. As people have already said, any kind of simulator practice will help. The free ones you can get on a phone or tablet are good enough to be helpful. Good luck!

abraarsameer

So hi fellow noob. I am new also so my opinion should count for very little. I am not familiar with the plane you have built but in general it's ok to mount servos on the tail or back end of the plane. Just be sure that your center of gravity (cg) is correct. Next about your motor of choice look at what the ft guys recommend. And base your decision according to that. They generally have plenty of power so I would not go tremendously overboard. If you do go too big on first takeoff you might experience tork roll issues. Try to stick to the basic rules of 100 Watts per pound and you should be ok. Good luck. Also lastly there are some good us based stores. That carry cheap options you don't have to wait for Chinese delivery.

The cg is why I put the servos behind in the first place. I don’t live in the US, by the way. But I‘ll try looking for a smaller motor. Or more likely I’ll go with the 2208. Power won’t be an issue if I limit the throttle in tx settings, right? Torque roll does sound bad for a plane with no ailerons.

abraarsameer

That setup sounds fine to me. Just lettin you know I had an FT Flyer and is was a bit of a handful to fly. So be ready for anything. I hope it all goes well for you. May I suggest as well that you practice on a simulator for awhile. It'll save you a lot of money and heartbreak (from breaking your planes that you worked really hard on building). Absolute RC is a good sim and you can use it on your phone.
I have been doing simulators for a while, do you know a good ft flyer like simulator model with no ailerons?

Corsair714

The cg is why I put the servos behind in the first place. I don’t live in the US, by the way. But I‘ll try looking for a smaller motor. Or more likely I’ll go with the 2208. Power won’t be an issue if I limit the throttle in tx settings, right? Torque roll does sound bad for a plane with no ailerons.
I think your motor and esc are completely fine. It's always better to have more power than not enough. And yes you can limit the throttle.

abraarsameer

That set up sounds ideal to me. Good for driving any standard size plane - wingspan in the 25-30" range. But I it can work for smaller ones too, I've got two Biplanes just under 28" wide, one weighing around 300g and the other around 350g. They can both carry the 56g camera as well. The 300g Biplane is capable of going vertical and at quite some speed and the 350g one doesn't struggle with going up either. So a power system like that can provide plenty of kick when you need it to.

Never seen the FT Flyer in action - best of luck with the maiden! Bring back a vid if you can. :)
Biplanes? Sounds great. AFAIK, the flyer is designed to be slow. Too much and the wings might even fold up. I’l limit the throttle.

Just curious, will anyone recommend a 2S for some reason rather than a 3S?

Corsair714

Speaking of landings... should I use a gear or do belly landings to start with?
I suggest no landing gear. It seems counterintuative, but it's really the best way to start. It's actually alot easier to belly land a plane than land with landing gear.

Corsair714

I suggest no landing gear. It seems counterintuative, but it's really the best way to start. It's actually alot easier to belly land a plane than land with landing gear.
But, the FT flyer might be alright with landing gear since it's alot slower than most planes. It's up to you though, but on this plane either are a decent option.

The Fopster

Master member
Remember to plug your rudder servo into your aileron channel on your receiver. That way you will control your turns on the right stick (if you fly mode 2) and it will be MUCH easier to transition to a plane with ailerons later. Don't obsess too much about the difference between 3 and 4 channel. Just launch it and control your direction off the right stick, with left stick just for throttle. It'll be much easier to learn...

Flite Risk

Speaking of landings... should I use a gear or do belly landings to start with?
I fly belly landers for 2 reasons.

I. easier to get back to earth some say "land".

II. think of how limiting it must be to only be able to fly where conditions are perfect. In the summer I just keep a 24" something in my car and if I have time & see a place to fly. bam. Im in the air.
Sure there is skill and talent in "landing" on gear but I fly for me not to prove anything to anyone or showoff...... well maybe show off a lttle.
; -}~