Beginner Indoor Planes - REVIEW

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

So you are just leaning to fly but Mother Nature has other plans. Cold, wind, and cold wind.
You might be thinking, "I'd love to learn how to fly, but I guess I'll have to wait until spring". WRONG!
Never fear! Josh and Josh return to Pinnacle Sports to review 3 great planes that can help beginners learn to fly indoors!

beginner-indoor-2-jpg_1393270811.jpg

First up is the ParkZone Night Vapor. This plane is extremely light weight and slow. This would be a perfect first plane for anyone. Don't expect to do any crazy aerobatics but if you have never flown, the gentle characteristics on the Night Vapor will ease you in no problem.

beginner-indoor-8-jpg_1393270827.jpg

beginner-indoor-3-jpg_1393270813.jpg

Next we have our very own FT Flyer. This guy has an impressive flight envelope and will handle well indoors or out. It's also great for beginners who want to get into scratch building. A simple design makes for a simple build and simple repairs!

beginner-indoor-9-jpg_1393270830.jpg

beginner-indoor-4-jpg_1393270816.jpg

Last, we took a look at the Hobby Zone Duet. This thing is on rails! The Duet features what Hobby Zone calls Virtual Instructor™. There are gyros that help to stabilize the plane while you fly, and if you want to go outside, the gyros will help to counter wind as well.

beginner-indoor-7-jpg_1393270825.jpg

beginner-indoor-5-jpg_1393270819.jpg

If you are flying for the first time, instead of just going in an infinite circle above your head, try to challenge yourself! We set up some pool noodles on sticks to make a cheap obstacle course to fly around. These are super easy to make and you can set them up however you like. This way you have a goal you are attempting to meet instead of aimlessly floating around in the air. It will help you become a better pilot faster by giving you something to work towards.

beginner-indoor-6-jpg_1393270822.jpg

Here is another fun game you can do for almost no money. Tape up a folding table and try to do some touch-and-go's. This will ultimately teach you to land on the best part of a runway (the first third gives you the best rollout).

beginner-indoor-10-jpg_1393270833.jpg

Once you can do simple turns and touch-and-go's, let your imagination soar! We got bored and stacked two of our tables together to make an entirely different kind of obstacle.

beginner-indoor-11-jpg_1393270836.jpg

This one was actually the most fun! Remember any way that you can give a goal to your flying you are only helping yourself to be a better pilot.

LINKS

- ParkZone Night Vapor

- Hobby Zone Duet

- FT Flyer

If you have any cool ideas for games to help you learn, let us know!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That was one of my favorite episodes. The best time is just out having fun with friends. I love these episodes.

Fety

Could you please make a video showing how you made that boom for the GoPro? To me it looks like a stabilized gimbal.