Best Flying Master Series Build?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Which of the Master Series that you've built is the best flying? They are all beautiful, but I'm looking for my first MS that will also be fun to fly. I'm leaning toward the AN-2 because hey it's got two wings - two is always better than one, right? If there was an MS DR1 I wouldn't even be asking this question! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So, if you've built & flown MS planes which is your favorite to fly and why?

Edit: This is a totally subjective question. Everyone has different preferences - fast, maneuverable, 3D, etc. So there's no right answer and not trying to start an argument. :D:eek:

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
I built the P47 a long time ago, when I was a pretty inexperienced pilot. It’s been great - still flying it today and I think the only plane I have that I’ve never crashed. For a warbird it’s very forgiving. Just my experience - others may have a different view!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Which of the Master Series that you've built is the best flying? They are all beautiful, but I'm looking for my first MS that will also be fun to fly. I'm leaning toward the AN-2 because hey it's got two wings - two is always better than one, right? If there was an MS DR1 I wouldn't even be asking this question! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit: This is a totally subjective question. Everyone has different preferences - fast, maneuverable, 3D, etc. So there's no right answer and not trying to start an argument. :D:eek:
Top three: MS Spitfire, MS Corsair, and MS P-38. 4s LIPO on FT C pack is a must on all of them for best performance.

MS F-16 is also flies very nicely with 70mm on 6s. The oddball (motor setup) MS A-10 flies very nicely, but is a little bit fragile for its size.

IMHO, P-47 needs a monster prop to put air over that cowl and hence the tail. C-47 is nice looking, but watch out for tip stalls. Ditto the AN-2.

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
m

my mini master series p40 was ana amazing flyer that sadly crashed due too brownouts, but build it light and right, as I fibergalssed one and it is too heavy too fly.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The only downside to the MS Corsair is the lack of a center internal fuselage spine making it somewhat fragile just behind the wing where the only strength is the fuselage skin. I fly my MS Corsair almost every week.

Oldrover TJ

I say Spitfire...
20201118_171244.jpg

bwarz

Master member

I've built the Corsair and P47 by FT and the FW190 and Hellcat from 13th Squadron. (as well as my own BF109 and P36 :ROFLMAO:) Of them all I'd have to say the Hellcat was the easiest to fly followed by the P47 (Hellcat was my goto plane for a while). The Hellcat is very forgiving with plane-meets-ground situations and the P47 is a floaty easy-going flight. The Corsair flies OK but like was already mentioned is a bit unforgiving with rough landings (ripped the front off of mine on 2nd flight). (I really like my 109 the best but that feels like a shameless plug :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've built the Corsair and P47 by FT and the FW190 and Hellcat from 13th Squadron. (as well as my own BF109 and P36 :ROFLMAO:) Of them all I'd have to say the Hellcat was the easiest to fly followed by the P47 (Hellcat was my goto plane for a while). The Hellcat is very forgiving with plane-meets-ground situations and the P47 is a floaty easy-going flight. The Corsair flies OK but like was already mentioned is a bit unforgiving with rough landings (ripped the front off of mine on 2nd flight). (I really like my 109 the best but that feels like a shameless plug :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

I love shameless plugs! If I'd done a MS Staggerwing I would have asked you to create this thread so I could plug it!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yankee2003

I love shameless plugs! If I'd done a MS Staggerwing I would have asked you to create this thread so I could plug it!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So have you decided yet?
That picture of the Spitfire by Oldrover TJ is very enticing. It is going to be my first MS when I finish my Bronco. Then the Corsair….I really don’t care how unforgiving it is…she is gorgeous. Love wants what love wants. I will probably build more than one.
Are you going to put the 2814 in it rather than a C Pack? I haven’t seen much comparison of the two.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
So have you decided yet?
That picture of the Spitfire by Oldrover TJ is very enticing. It is going to be my first MS when I finish my Bronco. Then the Corsair….I really don’t care how unforgiving it is…she is gorgeous. Love wants what love wants. I will probably build more than one.
Are you going to put the 2814 in it rather than a C Pack? I haven’t seen much comparison of the two.
I'm still dithering. I'm leaning toward the Spitfire but I've got a perfectly good swappable Spit and do I really need two? Also thinking seriously about @bwarz 's Hellcat. And I'm seriously considering doing my own (idiot that I am). I've got a Gee Bee QED done in Fusion waiting to be turned in to flat plans.

52399159947_b852465cc4_o.jpg 52400115800_cc18c7363c_o.png

bwarz

Master member
I'm still dithering. I'm leaning toward the Spitfire but I've got a perfectly good swappable Spit and do I really need two? Also thinking seriously about @bwarz 's Hellcat. And I'm seriously considering doing my own (idiot that I am). I've got a Gee Bee QED done in Fusion waiting to be turned in to flat plans.

View attachment 230879 View attachment 230880
Not my Hellcat - @Niez13 (13th Squadron) - must give credit where credit is due!

Yankee2003

View attachment 230879 View attachment 230880

First off..I am going to try and ignore ..”..but I’ve got a perfectly good swappable Spit and do I really need two?” 😏, and agree with you on the Hellcat. That is one that I have been looking at as well. Nothing but good words about that plane. If you do pick the Hellcat please include a build log. There is one out there, but fresh eyes…fresh ideas…always a good thing.
So many builds…..so little time…..

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I've built them all (FT and 13th Squadron), and crashed several more than once. From FliteTest... While it's not the easiest build, the P-38 is the easiest to hand launch- with the differential thrust, it just floats out of your hand. The P-47 has a big cowling, which can make it challenging for folks with small hands to grip for a launch. The Spit and P-51 are pretty solid flyers with no real bad habits and won't torque roll too badly as long as you don't overdo the throttle (~50%) on launch. Same for the Corsair- its a little smaller and easier to launch, plus it flies pretty well.

I'd second Bwarz comments about the 13th Squadron Hellcat. It's is a solid speedster if you put a C-pack motor with a 4s battery in it. Fun to fly. My FW-190 needed a ton of nose weight to balance and doesn't fly very well. It mainly sits. Same for the Helldiver- its a little wonky to fly. Their smaller stuff (C-47, Mosquito, Comet, etc.) is more challenging to fly. Lots of tip stalls at lower speeds. If you want a build challenge, try their Stuka. Lots of pieces to put together, but flies very well and lands really easy- it just floats in.

Good luck with this very important decision.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
First off..I am going to try and ignore ..”..but I’ve got a perfectly good swappable Spit and do I really need two?” 😏, and agree with you on the Hellcat. That is one that I have been looking at as well. Nothing but good words about that plane. If you do pick the Hellcat please include a build log. There is one out there, but fresh eyes…fresh ideas…always a good thing.
So many builds…..so little time…..
@Yankee2003 psst... Sleep with the eyes closed - is Optional

bwarz

Master member
I've built them all (FT and 13th Squadron), and crashed several more than once. From FliteTest... While it's not the easiest build, the P-38 is the easiest to hand launch- with the differential thrust, it just floats out of your hand. The P-47 has a big cowling, which can make it challenging for folks with small hands to grip for a launch. The Spit and P-51 are pretty solid flyers with no real bad habits and won't torque roll too badly as long as you don't overdo the throttle (~50%) on launch. Same for the Corsair- its a little smaller and easier to launch, plus it flies pretty well.

I'd second Bwarz comments about the 13th Squadron Hellcat. It's is a solid speedster if you put a C-pack motor with a 4s battery in it. Fun to fly. My FW-190 needed a ton of nose weight to balance and doesn't fly very well. It mainly sits. Same for the Helldiver- its a little wonky to fly. Their smaller stuff (C-47, Mosquito, Comet, etc.) is more challenging to fly. Lots of tip stalls at lower speeds. If you want a build challenge, try their Stuka. Lots of pieces to put together, but flies very well and lands really easy- it just floats in.

Good luck with this very important decision.
Oh yea - the 190 needed a veritable crap-ton of nose weight. But I'd have to say it didn;t fly half bad. It used to go out with my Hellcat until I cracked the tail loose on a rough landing. Fixed it but I think I had built many (many many) more since that injury and I can;t say the last time I had it out...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

corsair....

Is there a Hellcat build video?