First Master Series plane - Your recommendation

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've built a lot of FT planes and I'm ready to get sucked down the master series rabbit hole. I'm leaning toward the AN-2. I've always liked them and prefer a biplane anyway. What are your thoughts, recommendations?

SSgt Duramax

It depends what you want, I have built a few.

If you want a SBK, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. I would probably start with one of the single engine ones.

If you want to scratch build, the FT plans or 13th squadron would be good. I really like the 13th squadron F6F.

**Warning, scratch building a full sized masters series plane can be tough, cutting out formers is tedious**

If you want to dip your toe into the MS stuff to see if it is for you, you could always start with one of the MS mini type planes.

I have built both zeros from 13th squadron and FT respectively, and neither of them are as complicated or time consuming as their larger counterparts. There is one thing that is tough about the 13th squadron zero, and that is getting that tail boom perfect.

I think my next MS build will probably be the Overstreet's P-51 design, unless they come out with the full sized P-40, then it will be that.

I probably need to crash some planes and make room in the hangar. I would like to see more civilian based MS builds. I am starting to design a Seneca right now, I am not sure whether it will be a full on master build, or some mix, or just a box plane.

If you're looking for a slower plane, and looking to scratch build, 13th Sq also has a Stuka, which looks fun. I think I would like one, but I also think I may get bored with it.

https://www.13thsquadron.com/ju-87-b-2-stuka-v2.html

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
What FT planes have you built?

I'm just getting back into modeling after a 40 year hiatus. I've done the FT Simple Cub, F-22 Raptor, Mighty Mini Corsair V2 from SBKs, and scratch built the Mini FT Flyer, along with 5 EZ STEM builds. The Corsair was by far the most fun.

I also have the F16 Limited and the Master series A10 Warthog SBKs waiting in the wings.;) I plan to do a few more of the master type Minis before tackling the big boys.

If you haven't done any of the newer minis, like the Corsair, Zero, Hellcat or T28, thewould be a good way to get some practice with the Master type techniques. They also look great!

Scary

Went down that hole also with the t6 texan,my first introduction to simple mapping ,take your time and lay out the pieces according to how they are to be glued up. My biggest issue was my glue gun , not a heat control one would get to hot, and most pieces are glued together foam to foam I would end up melting the foam and take away it's structure.

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_193900983.jpg
    IMG_20220126_193900983.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

mcmoyer

I also have the F16 Limited and the Master series A10 Warthog SBKs waiting in the wings.

I went from MS Spitfire, to Simple Stick, to 13th Squadron Zero (yeah, that tail was hard), then jumped to the F-16 limited. But with that SBK, I just used the FT foam board as a pattern and cut it out on DTFB. With all my builds, I've realized there are things that I would have done different if I could build it over so from here on out I think that's what I'll do. First build will be considered a practice run.

SSgt Duramax

Went down that hole also with the t6 texan,my first introduction to simple mapping ,take your time and lay out the pieces according to how they are to be glued up. My biggest issue was my glue gun , not a heat control one would get to hot, and most pieces are glued together foam to foam I would end up melting the foam and take away it's structure.
White gorilla glue is your best friend on bare foam. It "soaks in" to the foam pores, expands and adheres better than hot glue, and most importantly doesn't melt your foam.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I've built a lot of FT planes and I'm ready to get sucked down the master series rabbit hole. I'm leaning toward the AN-2. I've always liked them and prefer a biplane anyway. What are your thoughts, recommendations?
Personally I built the ft master series Corsair, as my 6th plane (scratch built) and it came out great, also a very easy build

bwarz

Master member
Eeeek - the corsair wing was interesting to say the least. I did enjoy 13th Squadron's FW190 (although not sure if he updated to include the battery hatch - my plans I had to make it up as I went along) and the F6F, or even the FT P47 (although it is quite large) Or even my BF109 (shameless plug). As @SSgt Duramax says, the formers are tedious scratch-building but when done they do look soooo nice.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Eeeek - the corsair wing was interesting to say the least. I did enjoy 13th Squadron's FW190 (although not sure if he updated to include the battery hatch - my plans I had to make it up as I went along) and the F6F, or even the FT P47 (although it is quite large) Or even my BF109 (shameless plug). As @SSgt Duramax says, the formers are tedious scratch-building but when done they do look soooo nice.
The wing was easy as pie....

ennobee

I'm still far away from being an accomplished RC builder, other than that building the actual thing so far has been the easy part. It's the not crashing it that gives me the real trouble.

Anyway. From what I read so far, you should be able to take on any master plane you want. So my approach would be to first figure out WHAT you want in your next plane. Do you want a realistic looking warbird? An aerobatic tric-flyer? A platform for launching, dropping or picking up stuff? A sailplane or motor glider to float on the wind for relaxation? Or just a slow park flyer to keep in the back of your car just in case.....

Ok. I got carried away there... But still. My outsider advice still stands: don't look at what you CAN build but at what you want to fly and how you want to fly it and go on from there.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
MS Spitfire.

I've built MS P-38, MS Corsair, MS P-47, MS AN-2, MS C-47, MS A-10, MS Spitfire, and MS F-16. All of them have unique challenges, but the most straight forward was the MS Spitfire. It is relatively easy, and it has no bad flight tendencies. And with any of these, if given a choice between 3s and 4s, always go for 4s (in the case of the F-16, 6s). Scale aircraft are often trickier to fly at slow speeds, and the extra power will save your plane if you need to abort a slow pass or landing.

I've built all the MS minis, and they are all great (fast) fliers.

mcmoyer

man, I don't know how you all have the patience to make them this beautiful. As soon as the last of the hot glue cools, I slap some blue tape on the top of the wing for orientation and then send it up in the air.