Best Radio to get into open TX with.

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone. I am looking at getting into the open TX thing, and there are tons of things I like about it. I am about to the point where I feel like I am starting to be limited by my FSi6.

So I want a nice TX, but don't know where to start. I don't want to break the bank, and I do like the idea of being able to use it with different RX protocols, and if I wanted to buy a BNF or something like that, then I could use it there to, and have one TX for all planes and not have to carry different ones. I went to the website, and they have a whole list of them, it is a little confusing, I am not sure what features I would need and what would be the most future proof set up. I saw the radiomaster TX16s and that looks great, and if that is the only "good" option that is fine, but I was wanting to get by a little cheaper than that, but I also understand there are "lite" versions of these too that don't allow a full range of rx to be used. What say you all?

trey

I have the TX16S and my son uses the Jumper T-Lite. He flies planes, and I fly quadcopters and planes. The TX16S is nice, it does everything I need it to. I have done more traveling with my stuff, atv rides, backpack trips, and the TX16S starts to take up a lot of room. I've always used full size transmitters, and wasn't a fan of the small game controller type stuff. Then I tried the T-Lite, and I really like it. I'm considering changing over to it as my primary controller. There are other small controllers, if that's your thing. RadioMaster is coming out with another. For full size, Taranis is a good choice, although I don't have first hand experience. The Taranis X9 is OpenTX, and is under $100.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... I am not sure what features I would need and what would be the most future proof set up...
I’ve got an older Tx, a Turnigy 9x pro, with a multi protocol module in it. It a 10 channel Tx, I’ve never used more than 6. It’s got 30 model memory, never used more than 10. It still does everything I need to to do. It will be with me for a long time yet.

It’s good to ask what features others like but only you know what features you find worthy.

Marzipan

the RadioMaster TX16S and Jumper T16 Pro v2 are the two to look at that embody what OTX has to offer.

tho the just announced RadioMaster Zorro may shake up the paradigm with its comparable feature set in s game controller style tx at half the price if those.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
unless you actually need some of the open tx features i wouldnt bother, i love mine but ive never need a feature on it a spektrum couldnt do, and just the standard stuff is a bit more complicated, like setting up elevons for instance. every miserable time i have to go to youtube and watch test fly rcs video on it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hi everyone. I am looking at getting into the open TX thing, and there are tons of things I like about it. I am about to the point where I feel like I am starting to be limited by my FSi6.

So I want a nice TX, but don't know where to start. I don't want to break the bank, and I do like the idea of being able to use it with different RX protocols, and if I wanted to buy a BNF or something like that, then I could use it there to, and have one TX for all planes and not have to carry different ones. I went to the website, and they have a whole list of them, it is a little confusing, I am not sure what features I would need and what would be the most future proof set up. I saw the radiomaster TX16s and that looks great, and if that is the only "good" option that is fine, but I was wanting to get by a little cheaper than that, but I also understand there are "lite" versions of these too that don't allow a full range of rx to be used. What say you all?

I hate to support FRSky for going proprietary but the thing is is you get the new Access radio, install the 4 in one module which covers back to the pre Access open tx and there is NOTHING you can not control. The best thing about Open TX is you do NOT have to have the latest and greatest you can flash ANY version you want. That combination or even a pre access Taranis with the module will allow you to fly , drive, or float anything RC imaginable. I am still using my 2017 Taranis X9D with ZERO issues so far. I updated the gimbals to hall effects and that I will say has been the best upgrade to a radio system EVER.

@Flightspeed Dude you do know when you create a new model you get asked to select between Wing, Multi rotor and Fxed wing that will automatically set up the base 4 channels right?

As for model memory why limit yourself. Open TX holds as many models as you can fit on a card. I am over 15 models on mine in addition to 3 sim setups as well.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I’ve had up to 30 models on mine lol, I love my radiomaster but the spektrum r so nice, I think the biggest
Thing I don’t like is the scroll wheel sensitivity, maybe u can turn it down, I dunno.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I would get the Radio Master TX16s...

I don't like the game style controller, I really like the full size TX's, currently there are some great specials on them, from various hobby stores , and the likes of banggood and AliExpress.
If I was getting one, I would def go Radio master tx16s

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I have the TX16S and my son uses the Jumper T-Lite. He flies planes, and I fly quadcopters and planes. The TX16S is nice, it does everything I need it to. I have done more traveling with my stuff, atv rides, backpack trips, and the TX16S starts to take up a lot of room. I've always used full size transmitters, and wasn't a fan of the small game controller type stuff. Then I tried the T-Lite, and I really like it. I'm considering changing over to it as my primary controller. There are other small controllers, if that's your thing. RadioMaster is coming out with another. For full size, Taranis is a good choice, although I don't have first hand experience. The Taranis X9 is OpenTX, and is under $100.
Could you please post a link for the taranis that is $100?? I can't find any like that

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'd avoid the Taranis for now. They're getting wonky with their receivers trying to keep the cloning of their software down.

I picked up the Radiomaster TX16s for $150 at Grayson Hobby in GA. They had a deal on some refurbished ones. They ended up with several that had some very minor issues. Mine didn't even have the temporary screen protector removed yet.

I'm very impressed with it so far. I've used it with Crossfire, and a DSM orange receiver. I have a box full of old receivers that it will work with. You name the 2.4g brand, and it looks like it will work. Even my old Graupner receivers. So, there's some money saved there! I won't have to buy another 2.4 receiver for a while.

Bricks

Master member
If you go with the TX16s make darn sure you get the touch screen version. As most know my biggest complaint is it is just a narrow square box there is no ergonomics to this thing. Even if they would make the box deeper so you can actually put your finger between the switch ES and EF would be a huge improvement. I am spoiled with my Spektrum DX9 with this regard it feels so much better in hand and it can do anything an OTX can do as far as plane setup and easier.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
If you go with the TX16s make darn sure you get the touch screen version. As most know my biggest complaint is it is just a narrow square box there is no ergonomics to this thing. Even if they would make the box deeper so you can actually put your finger between the switch ES and EF would be a huge improvement. I am spoiled with my Spektrum DX9 with this regard it feels so much better in hand and it can do anything an OTX can do as far as plane setup and easier.
You don't suppose you just have big hands ?? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂..
Sorry I had to😂.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Except... Use any type of receiver 😉😉