Betaflight Gremlin arming discrepancy & rebooting issue

jamesd3rd

On my recently built Gremlin, everything looks to be set up ok but is there any reason why my quad can arm when not connected to with USB but is not reflected when connected to BF? The ARM setting doesn't light up when the tick mark is in the active range. In CLI, the two arming flags that are shown are CLI and MSP. Since both of those are present when the quad is connected by USB and you're in the CLI screen, is there no way to show the quad is armed in the Modes tab unless I'm disconnected from the configurator?
Oh and the other little bump I run into is BF doesn't reboot successfully. I have to click "Connect" again. When I do a reboot, it shows the serial port was not successfully closed. Sometimes when I click "Connect" after first plugging in, it grinds away for a minute and nothing happens. But when I click "Connect" it again, it connects. Is this a bug in the software, or something funky with the EMAX Femto SP Racing F3 EVO FC?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I think it was BF 3.3 that added the safety feature of not arming when connected by USB. You can get around that by going to the motors tab and clicking the "I understand the risks, props are removed.." button.

The connect to USB after reboot thing is fairly common. I have deselected the auto connect feature and always wait for Windoze to ding before hitting connect again. Even then it sometimes hangs, it's just something you get used to ;)

jamesd3rd

I think it was BF 3.3 that added the safety feature of not arming when connected by USB. You can get around that by going to the motors tab and clicking the "I understand the risks, props are removed.." button.

The connect to USB after reboot thing is fairly common. I have deselected the auto connect feature and always wait for Windoze to ding before hitting connect again. Even then it sometimes hangs, it's just something you get used to ;)
Ok so if I acknowledge the disclaimer about understanding the risks and flip the switch, are you saying I can go to the Modes tab after that and see if it arms when I flip the AUX switch I have it assigned to and watch the ARM indicator light up in BF? I'll have to check that out.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Ok so if I acknowledge the disclaimer about understanding the risks and flip the switch, are you saying I can go to the Modes tab after that and see if it arms when I flip the AUX switch I have it assigned to and watch the ARM indicator light up in BF? I'll have to check that out.

Yup, ideally your FC is powering the receiver so you won't need to connect a battery. And make sure the props are off whenever you tick that box. Best to start forming good habits :)