Bix3 Community Review

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

bix3-1-png_1413220000.jpg

After much anticipation, our Bix3 arrived! Three of them infact! But more on that later.

bix3-2-png_1413220013.jpg

We were very excited to check out this long awaited upgrade to Hobby King's trainer. It was like seeing an old friend after they got a facelift.
Specs:
Wingspan: 1550mm
Length: 948mm
ESC: 20A
Flying Weight: 890g
Motor: 2620-1400kv Brushless Outrunner
Prop: 8x5
Servo: 4 x 9g

RTF model also includes:
Radio: HK -T6A 6 Channel 2.4ghz Mode 1
Battery: 3S 11.1V 2200mAh Turnigy LiPo

bix3-5-png_1413220037.jpg

One of our favorite additions was the integration of these cool wing fasteners.

bix3-6-png_1413220024.jpg

They simply twist and lock the wings into place.

bix3-7-png_1413220064.jpg

Hobby King also includes this FPV platform. It replaces the canopy and slides right into the same grooves.

bix3-8-png_1413220074.jpg

If you want to leave the canopy on, the nose removes for the addition of a board camera.

bix3-9-png_1413220065.jpg

The servos are nested inside the fuselage, which looks great aesthetically but makes it a pain to get to the servos if you ever need to service them.

bix3-10-png_1413220107.jpg

The carbon fiber reinforcement is always nice to see. Especially on a trainer where the pilot might be landing on the nose instead of the wheels. But more on that later.

bix3-4-png_1413220024.jpg

And nothing makes us happier than cute litte wheel pants. Everybody at once.....aawwwwwwww.

bix3-11-png_1413220098.jpg

If you'd like to take your pants off, wheel pants that is, the landing gear is friction fit into a pocket on the belly making it impressively easy to remove if the grass is just a little to long for take off.

bix3-12-png_1413220145.jpg

So why did we order three separate Bix3 kits? Because we didn't just want to give you our opinion on them.
We traveled to South Carolina for E-week and brought our fleet of Bix3's with us for the community to fly for themselves!
We all know that Josh was going to love this plane no matter what so we decided to get as many different opinions as possible.

bix3-13-png_1413220174.jpg

We had two seperate lines flying two seperate setups. One was a beginner setup and the other, a more advanced.
We passed the transmitter and let you guys show us what you could do!

bix3-15-png_1413220230.jpg

bix3-16-png_1413220250.jpg

bix3-17-png_1413220249.jpg

bix3-18-png_1413220296.jpg

bix3-19-png_1413220315.jpg

bix3-14-png_1413221907.jpg

We gave the power to the people and they spoke! The reviews where overwhelmingly positive.
Check out the episode to hear the opinions straight from the pilots themselves.

bix3-21-png_1413220356.jpg

But there was one more pilot who we had to let fly.

bix3-20-png_1413220330.jpg

And as we expected, Josh Scott agrees that is plane has the classic Bixler feel we all know and love.
bix3-23-png_1413220395.jpg

With a Bixler style plane comes a Scott style landing. But remember that carbon fiber reinforcement?

bix3-22-png_1413220354.jpg

It definitely was a worth while addition.

bix3-24-png_1413220410.jpg

A special thanks goes out to Caleb from Flight Budz. We were short a camera man and a should rig on this trip and he was a huge help in shooting this episode. Be sure to check our more of his own work on YouTube here!
Thanks again Caleb! We couldn't have done this episode without you.

More thanks to all the pilots who flew for this review! Your opinions are the ones who matter and it was amazing to get to experience them with you first hand at E-week.
If you like this syle of review make sure to leave a comment and let us know. As always thanks for watching and happy flying!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I was waiting for this review before I buy, even though I've seen a few really good ones. I wanted to see what FT thinks of it - especially for a beginner like me. The icing of the cake was that we got a lot of opinions which is great :).

One thing that confuses me is the motor / prop setup.

RTF, ARF, PNF specs: 2620-1400kv brushless outrunner
Replacement motor: 2630-1400kv - shouldn't be that much of a difference
ARF related parts: 2725-1600kv or 2728-1000kv

Prop:
RTF included: 8x5
PNF included: 7x5
ARF suggested: 8x4

The comments on one of the planes even suggest a 5x5 prop.

Servos from related parts:
PNF: HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo
PNF: Turnigy TG9d 9g / 1.8kg / 0.09sec Digital Micro Servo
ARF: Turnigy TG9e 9g / 1.5kg / 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo - Long Wire Version
ARF: Turnigy TG9e 9g / 1.5kg / 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo

I was thinking about going for the ARF version and install servos, etc. myself. This would also help with the "sealed in" servos I guess? Or should I go for the PNF and just ignore the differences in the listed parts? :)

JackFu

Bix3

I have not had the chance to fly the Bix3 but, someone at our field just got one as a second plane after starting in the hobby 3 weeks ago He had a little trouble at first( before telling anyone he was a noob) and crashed hard on his first flight, giving a picnic table a vertical kiss . He picked up the plane got some help readjusting the landing gear and took off like nothing happened. We were all impressed with just how well the plane takes a hit. With that said he was flying like a pro by the end of the day......nice plane

TimmyGT

Guys what were the different setups on the planes in the review? They keep referring to a beginner setup and another setup. What were the differences? Motors, dr/expo, props? Flaps or no flaps? I'm a noob looking to order one but I need to know that I'm ordering the correct items first, thanks in advance!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
flaps and full throws on the "advanced". No flaps and reduced throws on the "beginner". Otherwise, the airframes were setup with the same power system.

I did get to play with the advanced plane afterwards, and other than the flaps *rellllllly* slowing down the landings, the reduced throws just kept you from overcontrolling it when banging the sticks. This guy is tame enough it wouldn't take much flying to graduate to full throws.

Fighting31

Just got my Bix3 yesterday, a project for next weekend. When referring to 'full throws' what is that exactly - i'm assuming it just means unrestricted travel on the control service (dual rates).
You guessed it, i'm a newbie!

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Just got my Bix3 yesterday, a project for next weekend. When referring to 'full throws' what is that exactly - i'm assuming it just means unrestricted travel on the control service (dual rates).
You guessed it, i'm a newbie!

A newbie who knows exactly what's up :).

"Dual rates" means that you can switch between two rates of throws. So you can flip a switch and have full deflection and flip the switch again to have less :)