Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
My Made in indie Bloom Vought is also done! No that I’m sattled down hope to find time to continue the designs.

7D6DE264-DDEC-432E-A16E-0DBB12D22B6F.jpeg
7D6DE264-DDEC-432E-A16E-0DBB12D22B6F.jpeg

My Work in Progress 35" wingspan (145%) Bloody Mosquito. Since winter has come, I'll probably mount skis to her just to be totally different. Working over nose ideas in my mind as well.

I salute Ricardo Gonzalez for the great design.

This will be my first twin engine so not sure what to expect. Hoping for good times ahead. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_224044.jpg
    IMG_20181002_224044.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

My Work in Progress 35" wingspan (145%) Bloody Mosquito. Since winter has come, I'll probably mount skis to her just to be totally different. Working over nose ideas in my mind as well.

I salute Ricardo Gonzalez for the great design.

This will be my first twin engine so not sure what to expect. Hoping for good times ahead. Cheers!

That is awesome, I'm looking to build a Mossie, will be following u to see how your Mossie is going.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Man I almost forgot all about this thread, although winter is coming so some weekend builds are definitely coming from here.

I also have an update on the XL bloody mustang. She is still flying and is an absolute tank! I have crashed her into countless soybeans and the only damage is some dirt marks on the wings and the loss of the wing decals. It is my favorite plane to keep in my truck and take with me wherever I go.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Are we done with these? I imagine with the Goblin motors, there would be a resurgence. I just picked up a twin pack at FFO.
I would imagine that would open up a couple planes like a Bloody Goose.
I'm thinking a full size float for the fuse, add a tail and rudder, with a 1 sheet wing. with the 8 motors. I just don't have the motors for this.

although...
2 groups of 4-1106 red bottom 4500kV motors, with 3020 props or avans (for 4 blades to match the original goose.) each pack of 4 hooked to a 30A (each motor set pulls ~4-5 amp)
set them up as differential thrust, and use the offset.
build each motor mount with small hole saw or credit cards or 3d print.

Hmm. I have 2 sets of Goblin quads that have failed me utterly. Or is it my soldering. maybe that's a use. so 4x6a <= 30amp @ 2S... Plans shortly.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Are we done with these? I imagine with the Goblin motors, there would be a resurgence. I just picked up a twin pack at FFO.
I would imagine that would open up a couple planes like a Bloody Goose.
I'm thinking a full size float for the fuse, add a tail and rudder, with a 1 sheet wing. with the 8 motors. I just don't have the motors for this.

although...
2 groups of 4-1106 red bottom 4500kV motors, with 3020 props or avans (for 4 blades to match the original goose.) each pack of 4 hooked to a 30A (each motor set pulls ~4-5 amp)
set them up as differential thrust, and use the offset.
build each motor mount with small hole saw or credit cards or 3d print.

Hmm. I have 2 sets of Goblin quads that have failed me utterly. Or is it my soldering. maybe that's a use. so 4x6a <= 30amp @ 2S... Plans shortly.
Hmm... I never thought about hooking multiple motors up to the same esc, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keep us posted...

FoamyDM

Hmm... I never thought about hooking multiple motors up to the same esc, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keep us posted...
Too easy... It's ideas like this that make me wish I could quit for the day and work in this idea.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

THE BLOODY GOOSE IS DESIGNED!
BSGCaddScreenCapture.PNG
After scaling it to 3" blades with the intent of quick and easy build, I realize the bloody build style doesn't allow for boat plane building... I kept on anyway. This "tiny" plane is enormous. at this scale it is still a 52" wingspan, 35" long and 4 boards, way outside of the BB WWII build parameters... I likely will start it's own thread, starting with this information.
I do wonder about the power system. I have three choices. They costs between $65-80 total. the ESC cost is very different.
3in Blades.PNG

The setup is to pair the motors up and attache each side to 1 esc, or two connected escs. power with with a PDB (allowing power for lights, and cameras)

I could reduce this by 67% and make it 34 11/16" wing span with 2" blades. anyway this is what I've gathered so far, I have 3 basic options, low, middle and high powered;
1 low power - 94g ($80) (similar to the original gremlin)
2-30A ESCs, 25g/pc ($12)
8-1104 4000kv 3S motors (166gT, 4.4A) 5.5g wt, ($60 total)
3" prop ($8)
1104 4000kv 166gT 4.5A.PNG
2 medium power - 104g ($93) (similar to the red bottom gremlin)
2-40A ESCs, 28g/pc, 2-4S ($17 total)
40A ESC.PNG

8 1105 6000kv 3S motors (218gT, 9.5A) 5.9g wt ($68)
3" prop ($8)
Motors200g thrust.PNG
1105ThrustChart.PNG
3 High Power - 232g ($98) (nutty)
4-30A ESCs, 25g/pc ($18 total)
8 1408 3750kv 3-4S motors (535g,8S) ($80) 16.5g/pc
3" prop (included)
Tachyon 1408 3750kv 574gT 15.15A.PNG (this to me, is a CRAZY good deal)

Model and Battery Weights:
Estimated all up weight of the plane is (115g/board*4 board*70%) 322g+36g (4*9g) servo wt = 358g (12.6oz.)
Battery Assume 3S, 2200mAh - 170g

Wt/Thrust:
(1) 622g (1lb. 6oz.) 1.328kg T (46.8oz.)
(2) 632g (1lb. 6.3oz.) 1.744kg T (61.5oz.)
(3) 760g (1lb. 10.8oz.) 4.28kg T (9lbs 7 oz.)

Wing Area: 304si or 2.11sf, 0.196m^2

Alpha Plans:
AIO SET

Attachments

• BSG-AiO-Alpha.pdf
    329.3 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Reflections:
I'm reflecting on my post and costs... The escs are nearly the same costs.
And all said, the difference is ~$20. Not much.
I think I will go big and order the 1408's and put them with my 50A on 3s. The chart shows 15A is for 4S. So I'm thinking 12a on 3s. So 48a for 4.
I'll have to test them when they come In.

BossBluff

Simple is fast.
WOW! How time flies!!! It's great to see renewed interest in this amazing design theme.
For the record, to whomever at Flite Test is responsible for cleaning up the plans matrix... THANK YOU!! It was a train wreck after the system upgrade.
For those of you interested in the bloody baby A-10, that has been shelved indefinitely. I'm not saying it couldn't be developed, but it really is a big step away from the direction I was really excited about. Sponz's Baron/Baby Baron design platform which is the parent design for everything developed on this thread is (IMHO) one of the finest ideas in RC modeling, and I think many of you will agree it has spawned a lot of great flying designs. To echo FoamTest, I fly these designs almost exclusively, and ALWAYS have one ready to take along wherever!
After almost a year away from designing, I'm back and looking forward to seeing what you guys have come up with. I have a few new ideas up my sleeve too.
Cheers!

FoamyDM

I have put the Bloody Goose project HERE:
A revised Bloody Micro Hercules H-4 might be in the works... one motor (or a twin), same iconic profile Bloody Baron design sensibilities.

Would a 3' wing be reasonable for this model in this style? :confused:

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
WOW! How time flies!!! It's great to see renewed interest in this amazing design theme.
For the record, to whomever at Flite Test is responsible for cleaning up the plans matrix... THANK YOU!! It was a train wreck after the system upgrade.

I sent a request to Robert (the Flite Test IT guy) to have table support added to the new forums. Thanks Robert! :cool:

Sponz's Baron/Baby Baron design platform which is the parent design for everything developed on this thread is (IMHO) one of the finest ideas in RC modeling, and I think many of you will agree it has spawned a lot of great flying designs. To echo FoamTest, I fly these designs almost exclusively, and ALWAYS have one ready to take along wherever!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a fun journey watching this series grow. You guys are amazing. Keep up the great work!

Mortis

Will any of these mini planes fly with an A or F pack? I've read though the thread, but get some conflicting information. Thanks.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Will any of these mini planes fly with an A or F pack? I've read though the thread, but get some conflicting information. Thanks.
Generally speaking, no. They might provide the same amount of thrust, but they don't spin a prop big enough to make enough static thrust to make the plane fly at the speed they perform best at.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Generally speaking, no. They might provide the same amount of thrust, but they don't spin a prop big enough to make enough static thrust to make the plane fly at the speed they perform best at.
Which ones are you talking about? The single engine ones ( in my case the p-40) have about a 20 inch wingspan, the a and f pack being plenty enough power. I think you are thinking of the full size bloody swappable planes, these (at least the bloody p-40) are the baby bloodies, similar in size to the baby baron, not the bloody baron.

Mortis

Which ones are you talking about? The single engine ones ( in my case the p-40) have about a 20 inch wingspan, the a and f pack being plenty enough power. I think you are thinking of the full size bloody swappable planes, these (at least the bloody p-40) are the baby bloodies, similar in size to the baby baron, not the bloody baron.

I'm looking at the Baby Bloodies (the ones with ~20" wingspan), such as the P-51 Mustang Mini, P47, P40.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Then yes, the a or f-pack will work great, the f-pack maybe being a little much of a handful if you’re a beginner flyer, but if you can fly fast planes, then buckle in the f-pack and zoom. Have fun with whichever one you choose to use, this is an amazing plane for fun fast flying combat and very easily portable at that (and it’s practically impossible to destroy it to the point of not being able to fix it!). A big thank you to @SP0NZ for the amazing platform design and another thank you to @BossBluff for starting all the different renditions of it.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I just stumbled across this thread. Just want to say thanks for all the inspiration! I've just built my second Bloody Brit and love the way they fly. My take away from these 32 pages is "Mark, take this basic wing and make anything you want!" It is amazing the different looks you guys have gotten by just slight changes to the tail feathers and such.