Boscam RS/TS 832 System with no video

Getting my feet wet in FPV, so purchased a Boscam 832 (600 mw) transmitter/receiver pair. Transmitter is V1.2.

I'm using my 808 #16 camera for video input (powered by its own battery vs. using the power feed from the transmitter), and one of the popular for FPV 7" TFT monitors from Amazon for a display. I'm using fully-charged LiPos to power both the rx and tx units, which are about 20 feet apart, and using the stock whip antenna (I have cloverleaf antennas for when I get everything running). Assembled all together, I get an image something like this -- at least when I get anything:

tvImage.jpg

I can make out some features of what I have the camera pointed at, but it looks like I have no sync. On very occasional moments, I get a clear image, but it's not repeatable.

This pic is using a old CRT TV with composite input, but I get similar from a different monitor, as well as the 7" monitor. Audio from the receiver is clear (the TS832 has a built in mic).

Attaching the camera directly to the video input on all different monitors shows a clear image.

This is the second one of these tx/rx pairs I've gotten -- I sent the first one back for the same reason (thank goodness for Amazon's great return policy).

I'm completely stumped on this -- one bad unit with this problem is not unheard of, but two in a row? Am I doing something wrong? Is the 808 camera sufficient for direct video, but not for feeding a transmitter?

I would appreciate any help y'all could provide.

Thanks!