FPV Help

KeithD

Hi,

I came across this video
and have been trying to set up my own FPV.

Having some issues though...

I've tried out 2 different types of cameras. One similar to the one in the video, and one pictured here. These are the issues I'm running into:

1. Neither camera, when attempting to draw power from the RC (pictured) are powering on
2. I've also tried to connect one of the cameras to a 9V battery. The 9V will occasionally power on the transmitter, then go off. Even when the transmitter appears off, something is happening though since the static on my FPV monitor changes. Either way, I haven't been able to get a clear image from the camera.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Hondo76251

Legendary member
A Few questions:
What are you using for a reciever? (Goggles?)
Do you know for sure what the voltage is on that board?
Are you sure the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency? Not every manufacturer transmits on the same set of channels (ie A5 is not always the same brand to brand ive found)

For what you are trying to do id say a cheap little "all in one" camera powered by its own little 1s lipo is the way to go.

With the setup you have pictured i would use a separate BEC to power it and double check that its wired correctly and powered with the correct voltage.

KeithD

A Few questions:
What are you using for a reciever? (Goggles?) - Goggles and a small FPV monitor. I'm trying out both.
Do you know for sure what the voltage is on that board? - No clue honestly
Are you sure the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency? Not every manufacturer transmits on the same set of channels (ie A5 is not always the same brand to brand ive found) - The goggles let me select the frequency that briefly displayed (now, the transmitter won't light up half the time). Still no joy though.

For what you are trying to do id say a cheap little "all in one" camera powered by its own little 1s lipo is the way to go. - One of the goals is to have the camera and transmitter blend into the look of the RC, that's why I chose this model with the casing. Here's the specific model https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRS9PRH/?tag=lstir-20
I did try to connect on of the all in ones to the RC directly, but it didn't even power on.

With the setup you have pictured i would use a separate BEC to power it and double check that its wired correctly and powered with the correct voltage. - BEC? If I were to go the 1s Lipo route as suggested, or the 2s Lipo as indicated by some of the amazon questions, do you know what I should be looking for?

Hi,

Thank you for you help. I'll post my replies in orange.

I appreciate the help, as I know as much about RCs as the average dad who just wants something interesting to tool with and have fun with the kids on the weekend.

bearit

agreed i had one just like it and it would overheat fast and shutdown cool off come back on for 2 min then power down again in cool air it would stay on but only if air was supplied

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I did a similar thing for my kids with a couple sets of little rc laser battle tanks. It was a blast but kind of a trick to get all set up.

I used This camera And This battery if my memory serves me correctly.

Of course this means you have to get a charger for the batteries wich isnt too big of a deal. They have simple cheap usb ones on there.

The problem with this FPV stuff is that virtually none of it just plugs together and you end up having to solder whole wiring harnesses together with special plugs so unless you want to really get into it as a whole hobby the little one like i listed is the way to go.

One of the problems with rc cars is its actually pretty hard to see much with the FPV camera because they're always bouncing around so unless you go pretty slow its tricky. Something slow like the tanks i did was the best setup ive had.

KeithD

Thank you for the recommendations. I've ordered the batteries, and will see how it goes.

So, it sounds like the batteries I've been using were too high in voltage and overheating, while the power drawn from the RC was too low?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hard tellin not knowin...

Most transmitters get hot, especially when setting while on. Theyre sort of designed with flying (airflow) in mind. Lower power ones will generally make less heat regardless of the voltage (so long as its within the recommended range) more power than whats recommended will likely kill them. Many will have a thermal shutoff and de power themselves if they get too hot as well and most will not transmit as well if they are running too hot.

Hopefully those batteries have the same connection as your AIO camera. There are two different common sizes for those that look very similar.

Also, for running without a lot of airflow, one of the 25mw ones might be better than the 200mw as it wont get as hot.

KeithD

Hey, wanted to give a quick update. Both the 1S and 2S lipo batteries came in. I had a police boat already set up with an all in one camera, so I soldered a new connection to the 1S lipo and it worked.

I tested out the 2S lipos to the camera in the original post and it worked as well. So clearly this was an issue of a guy not knowing anything about voltage and power supplies...

I'll continue to work on the RC tank in the original post, along with an older RC boat I have that I'm upgrading to FPV.

I took the RC police boat out to the local reservoir with the kids. The kids took turns, and my daughter loved looking at the FPV monitor. She had fun driving it when suddenly the power went out for both the boat and the camera. The boat was dead in the water... After about 30 minutes of it drifting away from us, a nice guy in a pontoon boat helped us out and snagged it for us.