bracesport DLG

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I started stripping my DLG today - I am removing the pushrods and will attempt a pull spring setup after drilling as many holes in the stabilisers as I can to remove weight - I am also thinking to move my servos/Rx/battery forward to help with CG - If the hole saw works on the FB I will consider removing wing material but more likely I will build a new wing! o_O

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - tail lightened a little bit and 2x 0.8mm pushrods removed - the tail is a bit rough (tape over holes rather than shrink film), but this can serve as a test - dropped by the fishing rod shop and the kind man there gave me 3m of kevlar braid for the pull strings - now I need to make the springs! :D

@flyboa - what gauge wire do you use for you springs (I see Andrew Newton uses .04mm - also, Andrew Newton bends a simple 'U' shape for his springs, but I thought it is likely they are a 'Z' bend (tails at 90 deg to each other)? o_O

IMG_7148.JPG

flyboa

Elite member
what gauge wire do you use for you springs (I see Andrew Newton uses .04mm - also, Andrew Newton bends a simple 'U' shape for his springs, but I thought it is likely they are a 'Z' bend (tails at 90 deg to each other)?
I use the same wire. "U" shape works fine for your stronger servos. For weak servos I bend to about 90 degrees.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - I got some 0.4mm wire and when bent up @90 deg and 5cm spacing feels surprisingly stiff - I might space the bends I tad wider.

Also picked up some ADAMS (DTFB) sheets today, so In all likelihood, I will make a new wing!

bracesport

Legendary member
So it is back to the drawing board

1- I will get some balsa wood for the tail (bass wood was a rookie mistake)!

2- redo the fuse with some more material removed from the pod - we have experimented with 0.1mm layers which give an awesome finish, so now I will try 0.6 wall thickness

3- I have some new (DTFB-Adams) FB to make a couple of new wings!

4- target flying weight 180g

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
today I am printing a new modified fuse pod @0.6mm and 0.15 layer thickness - I added a bit more surface to the wing attachment area and lengthened it 5cm to get the weight forward - total weight should be under 40g.

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - my finished weight will hopefully be lighter than the CAD weight - as the fill is not 100% - my 1.0mm walls were very strong, so I am keen to see what's 0.6mm is like - we shall see!

what thickness are your stabilisers?

IMG_7180.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Wings are underway - I chose to hotwire by hand using my wire guides - the Adams (DTFB) with paper removed on one side curls a bit so I had to be careful with the cutting - the blanks turned out quite good and only required a small amount of sanding to even out the edges - the bottom half has the TE taper from the chord line - the top half has tapers from both LE and TE from the chord line - the bottom half is also tapered to the wingtip from 150mm in - I also inserted a 3x1mm CF flat into the lamination - the wings are glued and are in a Vacuum bag - it is a waiting game now!

IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG
IMG_7175.JPG
IMG_7177.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG
39D4E468-0543-45F1-AC46-622863F91A5D.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
stage one - wing blanks seem pretty good - total weight is 90g with the embedded 3mm CF flats - 3D printed fuse @0.6mm wall also seems pretty good - extra surface for attaching the wing will be useful - I will clean up the parts, assemble the fuse sections and then weigh. :D

IMG_7193.JPG
IMG_7195.jpg
IMG_7194.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@flyboa - the 3D printed fuse @ 0.6 is still not as light as yours - This fuse is longer than the last one to push the battery out further - I suspect you don't have the subframe tray for the servos - I am thinking to make some holes in the sub-tray where the cover goes over it (double thickness) - I am under 50g for the complete fuse but I was hoping for slightly less!

IMG_7197.JPG
IMG_7198.JPG
IMG_7199.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
feathers next - I used 2.0mm balsa and the cut pieces weighed 15g - I wiped some epoxy onto the surfaces and put them in the Vacuum bag for a bit of added strength - hopefully, the final weight will be about 17g!

1DAE7DC6-FED5-4F56-A728-208933F82D45.jpeg

Last edited: