bronco twin balance?

randyrls

Randy
Hello I just finished a Bronco A-Tail with Power Pack B motors and BOY is this thing nose heavy! I may have to use a whole roll of quarters to balance this thing. The original Bronco was made with the original "B" power pod and I suspect it had a lot lighter motor than the current "B" radial PP

I balanced it with a 2200mah 3S, because it is a twin. Still need to check current draw with props.

I noticed that the twin PP kit has 2 CW and 2 CCW props. I believe the motors should be counter rotating to eliminate propeller torque?

Thank you for ay insight you can share.

Piotrsko

Master member
Yup broncos tend to be nose heavy. Don't go adding weight figure out how to move stuff around, typically the battery pack. However wee bit nose heavy does help

My original used 2"C" motors 11" props and was fast as fast can be without major flutter. Made a lot of noise, suspect the tips were going sonic.

Counter rotation is nice for low speed high power, not really needed for normal flight with enough airspeed. Doesn't help if you lose a motor on one side.

randyrls

Randy
Piotrsko; Well DUH!!!! <image of me face palming myself>! My explorer was tail heavy, and I had to add quarters to the nose. No way to move weight forward or take weight off the tail. My thinking was stuck on the adding weight, and I didn't see the obvious solution. I moved the receiver to the back of the center section, and now the battery can be moved further back.

Thanks!

Yankee2003

Mine has two c-packs, 10x4.5 props, 2200 3s.
I added a couple small weights on the tail booms up against the vertical stabilizers on each side to keep the left to right balance as well.
Counter rotating props with differential thrust. She is a pussycat to fly. Hand launching is a nonevent.
I want to change out to 4s and 9x4.5 props but she really doesn’t “need” it.
The beauty is that the weight can be added so far back behind the cg.
She can handle the weight….

Yankee2003

IMG_3072.jpeg
You can see the tail weights on the left boom in this picture if you zoom in.

randyrls

Randy
Mine has two c-packs, 10x4.5 props, 2200 3s.
I added a couple small weights on the tail booms up against the vertical stabilizers on each side to keep the left to right balance as well.
Counter rotating props with differential thrust. She is a pussycat to fly. Hand launching is a nonevent.
I want to change out to 4s and 9x4.5 props but she really doesn’t “need” it.
The beauty is that the weight can be added so far back behind the cg.
She can handle the weight….

Very Nice. I built the A-tail. May try differential thrust, but not on this one. My first plane was an explorer and it was so tail heavy I resolved to be more careful in adding extra glue or weight to the tail. I use a AURA 5 from FT in my planes. Think "Safe Mode" for any plane. Its nicest feature is called "Launch Assist". When engaged the plane will climb at a 30 degree angle with wings level until you touch the controls. I have seen many wings crash on launch. This makes ANY PLANE launch dead stick easy. I sometimes do what I call my "Jesus Launch". I launch and then stretch my arms wide (you get the idea)! while the plane climbs away from me. You can launch the plane with the wings at a 45 degree angle and watch as the wing snaps back to level and climbs out. I once launched, turned around and sat down in a chair, and adjusted my hat before touching the controls. Only once though. I didn't want to press my luck!

Piotrsko

Master member
Betcha you'll never get to do the sit down successful twice. Perhaps, maybe, didnt see the autopilot comment.

Twin C's and 11" props means any direction but pointing at dirt causes flight. The OV 10 T tail has rigidity issues so it wont VTOL like a wonder series, and low inverted causes pull up issues except in tall grass.

Yankee2003

Betcha you'll never get to do the sit down successful twice. Perhaps, maybe, didnt see the autopilot comment.

Twin C's and 11" props means any direction but pointing at dirt causes flight. The OV 10 T tail has rigidity issues so it wont VTOL like a wonder series, and low inverted causes pull up issues except in tall grass.
It’s not a very aerobatic plane. By that I mean the roll rate is more scale than you might want. Inverted…eh.
But it is very stable and a joy to fly. Mine has held up really well. I am considering ripping it apart to use the electronics on a different project. It is why I like foamboard aircraft… building and flying a wide variety of aircraft without breaking the bank.