Help! Budget FPV setup....

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hi guys, so previously I was going to build a drone with FPV on it for monitoring our farm... But then I realized Hey why not use a plane?? I've already got the electronics for one, so why not ??? and also because FPV sounds like great fun

Now this thread is for finding a decent FPV goggles, for under $60.
With approximately a range of 300-400 meters, at 200milliwatts, transmission power.

I'm currently looking at a couple, and I will post links on a moment.

But which goggles would you get for this ball park figure??
The VR009 seems to be quite a good buy.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ommend-sku;is_freeshipping:null;trade_order:3

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
budget FPV setup and monitoring your farm and 'on a plane' likely aren't going to work together as well as you might think.

Take a look at the Analog FPV video here, I wouldn't want to use the plane video to monitor anything ->

if you really want to monitor, your going to want to be able to go slow/hover and/or have a much better video system then a budget analog system.

The googles you show there have less resolution on the screen then even standard analog video (roughly 640x480), so I wouldn't consider them at all, especially for the indicated use case.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
budget FPV setup and monitoring your farm and 'on a plane' likely aren't going to work together as well as you might think.

Take a look at the Analog FPV video here, I wouldn't want to use the plane video to monitor anything ->

if you really want to monitor, your going to want to be able to go slow/hover and/or have a much better video system then a budget analog system.

The googles you show there have less resolution on the screen then even standard analog video (roughly 640x480), so I wouldn't consider them at all, especially for the indicated use case.
What goggles would you recommend???

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
no, for the indicatedmore expensive then 'fat shark' as you would want at least a full HD video link, pan/tilt/zoom (or be on a quad were you can get close enough to get a good image)
The main thing is to identify if there is a person there...
(No one works or lives on the farm besides the 4 of us.. )

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The main thing is to identify if there is a person there...
(No one works or lives on the farm besides the 4 of us.. )

did you watch that video? how close did the plane need to get to the flight line before you could make out people? And how long could you see the people at the fight line outside of the landing attempts?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
did you watch that video? how close did the plane need to get to the flight line before you could make out people? And how long could you see the people at the fight line outside of the landing attempts?
Ya, it is quite hard to see them😂....

Would you say digital FPV is better quality than analog?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
the DVR sucks, also looks to be way higher then your price point (and much more expensive then the ones I pointed out)
, Ya retail they are very expensive...
But I can get one of them for $120.. a guy bought them but has never used them.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
the DVR sucks, also looks to be way higher then your price point (and much more expensive then the ones I pointed out)
What range could I expect from the ones you recommended?? With upgraded antennas, clover antenna on vtx and running at around 200-300 mW