Help! Budget FPV setup....

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Fat shark type of expensive???
I saw a pair of Align AG300 FPV goggles for a decent price... $120.....
If you are considering FatShark, you need to consider SharkByte for a digital video feed. You will see very little with analog. Digital is much more expensive, but more in line with your purposes. With a DJI setup, you have the option of 1200 mw power with 4+ km range.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
If you are considering FatShark, you need to consider SharkByte for a digital video feed. You will see very little with analog. Digital is much more expensive, but more in line with your purposes. With a DJI setup, you have the option of 1200 mw power with 4+ km range.
Admittedly that is true, but legally I'm limited to 200mW......
Would you say that the Align would give me almost the same range and live video feed as the fat sharks?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
What range could I expect from the ones you recommended?? With upgraded antennas, clover antenna on vtx and running at around 200-300 mW

Again... there are a bunch of 'it depends' the ones I recommended I would expect about 1/2 the max distance all else equal to the googles I am using (I also have some higher end antennas for my googles and that can make a big difference, I got about 2x the distance out of them when I swapped from the antennas that came with the recommended ones to them).

for each 4x in power, you get about 2x the range, so from 25mW -> 100mW -> 400mW would give you 4x the range.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Admittedly that is true, but legally I'm limited to 200mW......
Would you say that the Align would give me almost the same range and live video feed as the fat sharks?
In the US, we are “limited” to 1000 mw in the bands that DJI operate. For analog, it depends on the channel and whether you have an amateur radio license (HAM).

As for range with FS, I have HDOs which means they are only goggles, the range question would be for the module. I have tried several and settled on ImmersionRC. Since you brought up range, what control link are you planning on - unless it is something like Crossfire or Ghost, your control link is going to be something you want to outstrip your video. With DJI, the control link and video share the same data stream, but you get feed back when you are reaching the limit, normally well before you lose control link.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
In the US, we are “limited” to 1000 mw in the bands that DJI operate. For analog, it depends on the channel and whether you have an amateur radio license (HAM).

As for range with FS, I have HDOs which means they are only goggles, the range question would be for the module. I have tried several and settled on ImmersionRC. Since you brought up range, what control link are you planning on - unless it is something like Crossfire or Ghost, your control link is going to be something you want to outstrip your video. With DJI, the control link and video share the same data stream, but you get feed back when you are reaching the limit, normally well before you lose control link.
Control link will be my 35mhz txs and rxs 😂

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hi guys, so previously I was going to build a drone with FPV on it for monitoring our farm... But then I realized Hey why not use a plane?? I've already got the electronics for one, so why not ??? and also because FPV sounds like great fun

Now this thread is for finding a decent FPV goggles, for under $60.
With approximately a range of 300-400 meters, at 200milliwatts, transmission power.

I'm currently looking at a couple, and I will post links on a moment.

But which goggles would you get for this ball park figure??
The VR009 seems to be quite a good buy.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002131149917.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.4.5c056fdcFeqbf4&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.33416.213724.0&scm_id=1007.33416.213724.0&scm-url=1007.33416.213724.0&pvid=f9f9280a-ec00-4c98-aabf-98a43417c078&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.33416.213724.0,pvid:f9f9280a-ec00-4c98-aabf-98a43417c078,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8109#1935&pdp_ext_f={"sceneId":"23416","sku_id":"12000018841884128"}&compareFields=formatted_price:ZAR 555.11;itemId:1005002131149917;freight_formatted_price:null;source:recommend-sku;is_freeshipping:null;trade_order:3
DO NOT BUY!!!!! I had that goggle and it is just plain trash. The screen broke after looking at it funny and the antenna connector can’t seem to stay soldered to the PCB.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Theres a reason that has only been used 10x. If I recall they had some issues. I also just looked it up and it is being discontinued so no parts if you break it.
Sure . They're not excellent.. but they seem reasonable...
There is that, but there seem to be plenty of spares on eBay..

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Dude what ever.. take the advice or don't... Its your time and money.
I am taking your advice... I just wasn't sure if you were referring to the WiFi controller where you use your phone to control it...
Or the skycontroller...
I meant no offence, I just wasn't sure which one you were referring to, or if you were referring to both