Build Log: Electrohub, lets hope all goes well!

AirNoFair

Thank to FliteTest and some incredible members on the forum I've got my bearings straight and I'm "ready" to start my build.

My build will include (but not limited to):
• Electrohub Frame
Altitude Hobbies Electronics Kit and the KK2 Board
• Turnigy 9x Transmitter/Reciever
• 2200 mah 3S Battery
• Battery Connector, It doesn't look like the Electronics Kit includes a connector, which one would work? I'm getting lost looking for them and want to order the correct one.

With everything I have listed is that all I need to get'er to fly?
Before I place my orders I want to make sure I have everything needed.
As soon as my packages come in expect to see pictures and an incredible one of a kind pain job on it.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Exciting! I don't see a lipo charger there, and your battery connection may depend on where you plan to buy your batteries... If you buy from HobbyKing, a lot of their batteries come with XT60 connectors. If you buy from other places, you might find Deans already soldered on. Of course, some batteries might come with barrel/bullet connectors that you have to remove/replace.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/tools-wattmeters/imax-rc-b6-compact-dc-50w-2-6s-lipoly-charger
NOTE: This model takes DC input, so you will need to find an AC power transformer if you want to charge your batteries from a household outlet. Maybe where-ever you plan to buy the battery from, they'll sell AC chargers?

I think the trend is for more and more people to use XT60's. They're inexpensive, relatively secure, and widely available.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/connectors-and-plugs/nylon-xt60-connector-genuine-5-pairs

You may also need some power wires:
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/silicon-wire/silicon-wire-12awg-1-meter-red
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/silicon-wire/silicon-wire-12awg-1-meter-black

Since you don't seem to already have batteries, I'm going to also suggest a lipo safe bag for storing and charging your batteries. You may also want to consider a separate battery voltage checker.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/battery-accessories/lipo-charging-sack-regular
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/battery-accessories/3-8s-lipoly-voltage-detector-w-warning-alarm

I take it you have a soldering station you are familiar with, solder, maybe a flux pen, some heat shrink, desoldering wick, extra zip ties?

Enjoy the building and flying!

AirNoFair

@makattack Correct, I do have soldering station along with extra wire, LiPo charger, and other miscellaneous parts as I was extremely into RC airplanes a year ago.

With everything you've listed and I already have planned, It looks like that's all I'll need to get it flying from the research I've done. I'll be placing my orders this weekend.

Pic's to come!

AirNoFair

Are you planning on going with a traditional "X" or the spider configuration?

I'd like to build a spider quad or something other than normal. However, since this is my first build I'm going to start off with the traditional X and over time switch it around and possibly upgrade/change to aluminum arms and different sizes too, and better electronics.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'd like to build a spider quad or something other than normal. However, since this is my first build I'm going to start off with the traditional X and over time switch it around and possibly upgrade/change to aluminum arms and different sizes too, and better electronics.

That's why I like the ElectroHub so much. You can do a lot of experimentation with a set of common parts.

AirNoFair

That's why I like the ElectroHub so much. You can do a lot of experimentation with a set of common parts.

Not having the Electrohub on hand, I don't know if this is possible or already been attempted. But it would be astonishing if you could have bullet connectors connected to the power distribution board where each arm would be, at it's maximum capacity. Then have arms set aside with props, motors, esc's, and bullet connectors on the ESC's so you can simply attach ("screw", "plug and play", set your FCB) and switch your quad into a hex or octo in minutes.

Would this be possible? Has anyone attempted it before?

HawkMan

Theoretically possible, but you would need to mount the bullet connectors vertical due to their position on the board, which isn't terribly practical or accessible.

Had the high capacity connectors points been positioned along the outer edge, you could have used those bullets connectors who are designed to be soldered onto edges of boards(I use them on ESC's), but with the current design that won't work. For the electrohub it's also not a practical design since such a design would limit the ability of how you can place the booms and places the electric pathways under where the booms will be risking the booms rubbing of the coating and thus risking a short.

So short answer, theoretically yes, but impractical. though I suppose you could mount the edge mount connectors angle using the notch for board mounting, would need quite a bit of solder to fill the gap though, but.... hmmm...

AirNoFair

@HawkMan What if you connect a short 1-2" piece of wire to the board and then the bullet connector? Would that not solve some problems?

I think someone needs to attempt this.

stoughtm

Maybe the short wire lengths would work, but why? I'm on board with the no connector approach. I plan to use solder as my connectors. It's easy enough to desolder and wick away any excess. The ESCs have really large pads and are easy to solder. The only thing that might be a problem is the motor leads, but I'll keep them as long as possible.

I just started my build with the RTF electronics kit and the Flip 1.5. Although the ElectroHub is still in the mail, I've bound and tested my radio, reconfigured the MWC for my controller (Spektrum DX4e) since I couldn't program my controller.

Cheers,
Tim

jipp

i noticed you plan to solder everything. is this a good idea? seems like that would be prone to fail in a crash. or do i have this backwards.
id think connectors would be better in this application. good luck on your build.

chris.

stoughtm

Good solder joints are quite strong. I only plan to solder the power system, controls will still be via servo wiring with plugs. Even in a crash which breaks an arm, I'd think that the wires would stay together. If I'm wrong, I'll know soon enough and then I'll order some bullet connectors. ;)