Building FT Swappables with a group of students - questions on powertrain and more

xavor

Hey Guys,

I'm from Germany and I've studied EE till last year. My University has a project week for pupils and students every year (to show them fields like electrical engineering, IT, bionics and more) and I've been in charge of the quadcopter building the last three years. To give a little overview over what we do:

We build fully automatic peg systems using computer vision: Picture
We created a pretty nice PA System: Picture and in use

We have little tesla coils Picture
And sometimes we have fun with nerf guns!

As I now have quite a collection of Quadcopters (and some RTF RC Planes like Bixler for FPV), I want to do something different for next year. I want to help the participants to build and fly RC planes. Usually we are about 8-10 per group, including me and maybe another friend to help me get them working/flying.

My plan is to build the power pod and maybe a nutball/delta on day 1 and 2 and get them in the air on end of day two (with a little simulator training before first real starts). On the other 3 days, they can choose and build another, advanced plane from the swappable series.

The downside is, I have nearly no experience in a) choosing fixed wing HW and b) building them. So thats where I need your help.

First step would be to select two models:
Model 1 for building on day 1 & 2 and making first steps
Model 2 to have something that looks more like a plane

For Model 1 my current choice is the nutball. It seems the easiest to fly (choosing from the very simple builds and the review videos). For Model 2 I'm looking at the Simple Storch and the Old Fodgey. Maybe the Bushwacker for pilots with existing RC experience.
Would you choose this to? Do you have other recommended planes?

Next step would be the parts. I will probably collect some money beforehand and order everything from one source, so everyone has the same parts. When I look at the recommended parts in the store, I see the Power Pack B for the nutball and C for nearly all other slightly bigger planes. Will the Nutball fly with the C Pack and maybe a 1400mAh or 1800mAh?

Another big question on the "parts" list:
The stuff you and I have, but students typically don't, like a charger and radio.
That's where I am completely clueless as in what to get. On HK you get the 5X for 25 Bucks. The 9X for <50 and it's OpenTX capable. But I don't want to help everyone solder on their radio. So an out of the box radio would be nice, somewhat popular so there will be guides for setup and available extra receivers. Any recommendation?

Wow, big wall of text!
I would love to get some answers to my questions and hope my english is somewhat readable!

Greetings from the Krauts!