Building My first RC Large Model

0__0

Hi everyone, I've recently bought a 2M wingspan balsa wood glider (no electronics included) for about 25$. It looked quite hard to build from the beginning but for that price it is not an issue.
Currently, I'im done with the middle wing armature, it was quite hard to build because there are a lot of different parts that all look the same.
I advance in the instructions and I will post more further in that construction.

20191110_093314.jpg

quorneng

Master member
0__0
Looks good.
You don't say the kit name but looking at the wing construction I would advise you go easy on any "electronics".
I suspect it was intended as a free flight glider so the only added weight would have been just the nose weight required to get the balance correct.
That wing as built from the kit is unlikely to be strong enough to carry much extra weight in the form of RC equipment, perhaps just a single channel "rudder only" using lightweight components.

0__0

It can be built as a 3 ch motorized glider or regular glider. Servos and a motor for the plane version are supposed to be added.

Jackson T

Elite member
3 channel motor gliders are FUN! Are you planning to make it R/C or free flight? What model glider is it? Good luck with your build!

poor boy 101

oki back to the topic of the last thread (fpv cameras and goggles) were we started talking about the glider. I think that the 2200mah 25c xt-60 is the way to go and for your first big glider it is important that you have a motor that can get you out of sticky situations. I own an E-flite night radian and it can do vertical and that has save my but so many times because i tend to fly hard and you don't want to spend hours rebuilding a gorgeous balsa glider that you just finished making. The b pack or c pack is a very good choice. That might just be me.

Headbang

Master member
You do not need much motor for this. You need just enough to get some forward motion to get it in the air. If you plan to fly in wind go with a b pack and 2200mAh or larger battery, the added wieght will help a lot. If you want to lay back and catch thermals go with an A or F pack and a 500-800mAh battery.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hi everyone, I've recently bought a 2M wingspan balsa wood glider (no electronics included) for about 25$. It looked quite hard to build from the beginning but for that price it is not an issue.
Currently, I'im done with the middle wing armature, it was quite hard to build because there are a lot of different parts that all look the same.
I advance in the instructions and I will post more further in that construction.

View attachment 147659
No words of advice. Just popping in to say that for your first balsa build, it's sure looking good to me! I don't have the patience to build, or the courage to fly a balsa kit. I'll be following your thread with interest, if only to appreciate your work and cheer you along. :)

0__0

The construction progresses really well. As the Aliexpress 11.11 discount is there I need to exactly know if I can buy my setup.
For FPV: Foxeer Predator V4 mini, Eachine EV800, Holybro Atlatl HV V2, Foxeer Lollipop v3 RP-SMA (for Goggles), Foxeer Lollipop v3 SMA (for VTX);
Is my 2280kv motor Overpowered or underpowered ? Can my 20A ESC work with a new Radial 2212-1050kV motor or will it just blow up ?

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Please answer, the discount won't last very long !
@PsyBorg is following your thread. He's a good one to tag for FPV questions. I've no experience with Balsa or planes that big. 2280 is a big motor, but that's a big plane. I'd go with a 30 or 35amp esc if you use the 2212.

*edit* Unfortunately, you have to remember that everyone has day jobs, as well. :( *edit*

poor boy 101

Yes your motor should be fine. Is looks like a quad spec motor and the f pack uses a similar to quad motor.idk about the esc.

poor boy 101

@PsyBorg is following your thread. He's a good one to tag for FPV questions. I've no experience with Balsa or planes that big. 2280 is a big motor, but that's a big plane. I'd go with a 30 or 35amp esc if you use the 2212.

*edit* Unfortunately, you have to remember that everyone has day jobs, as well. :( *edit*
Since when was a 2280kv a bigger motor? Also please be more specific. Give us the stator size. The kv is just how much it spins per min. An agricultural drone uses say 105 kv motors and a tinywhoop uses 10,000 kv motors. It has a slight thing to do with the motor size but it really doesn’t say much.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Since when was a 2280kv a bigger motor? Also please be more specific. Give us the stator size. The kv is just how much it spins per min. An agricultural drone uses say 105 kv motors and a tinywhoop uses 10,000 kv motors. It has a slight thing to do with the motor size but it really doesn’t say much.
My mistake. I was thinking the stator was 2280, making it bigger than a "C" pack. I must have misread.

0__0

I bought a lipo 3s 2200mah to fly a lot. I'll see if it can fly with my motor and a 6x3 prop. I am done with the left wing section. I'll send more pictures on future posts.

0__0

Absolutely but I didn't find any cheap one. Does anybody know one ?

Last edited: